Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AJ says Ross is healthy and explosive again
(05-05-2018, 11:51 AM)BengalChris Wrote: While I understand what you are saying, it was picking Ross with the #9 pick instead of trading back and taking a OT and getting an extra pick, which could have been used on a Center, that cost the team dearly. Or the team could have picked Derek Barnett who would be replacing Michael Johnson already. Either way, the team would have had much more contribution from their 2017 1st round selection.

The team had plenty of offers to move back and should have taken one of them. Reminds me of the Akili Smith pick where Mike Brown overruled the coaches and made his favorite pick, which is exactly what he did with the Ross pick.

In the last 5 years Ross has had two backup years (208 yards and 371 yards), one year gone with injury, one really good year (1150 yards and 17 TDs, although against Pac-12 defenses) and one horrible year where he had zero catches, one fumble and hid an injury. He was also a healthy scratch for several games and he even posted videos of practice showing how he was ready to go but the coaches are just against him.

NFL defensive minds are pretty smart, and they are very good at adjusting to new wrinkles in offenses. They took away RGIII's best play and everyone found out that he's really only a backup QB after all, no matter what his college stats were.

Now it's not Ross's fault that he was picked #9. That mistake is squarely on Mike Brown, who made the call. But how Ross's season turned out was his own fault. Hiding the injury probably cost him some healthy games at the end of the season, but instead it never healed and he ended up on IR. 

On the other hand, AJ Green has never had a bad year. Not in college and not in the pros. He has missed games due to injury, but he always seems to still have the production other receivers would love to have.

I hope Ross does have a good season, but until he actually has one it's only unrealized potential. It's good that he worked with TJ. But now he has to actually go do it in games against real NFL defenders.

I understand you too Chris, nice post.

It is unfortunate how it has turned out but that pick could be a great one and we just do not know it yet.

In that Draft we could of traded back and grabbed Cam Robinson sure, but it didn't happen and i like Cordy
Glenn better anyways. Same with if we grabbed Elflein who ended up being the 32nd ranked Center last year
according to PFF. Bodine was ranked 25th BTW. I like Price MUCH better than Elflein for us from what i saw.

In the end it might of turned out for the better especially if John Ross, Cordy Glenn and Billy Price turn out
like i think they might.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 01:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I understand you too Chris, nice post.

It is unfortunate how it has turned out but that pick could be a great one and we just do not know it yet.

In that Draft we could of traded back and grabbed Cam Robinson sure, but it didn't happen and i like Cordy
Glenn better anyways. Same with if we grabbed Elflein who ended up being the 32nd ranked Center last year
according to PFF. Bodine was ranked 25th BTW. I like Price MUCH better than Elflein for us from what i saw.

In the end it might of turned out for the better especially if John Ross, Cordy Glenn and Billy Price turn out
like i think they might.

Yes, I agree that Glenn is better than Robinson and Price is better than Elflein. So we did end up better at those two spots, just not last year.

If Ross really does put it together then our 32nd ranked offense should be much, much better. Also, if he does put it together and Eifert stays healthy, Dalton will have a multitude of excellent targets and the running game should have more room to roam.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
The only play he saw the entire year when 'healthy' ended up with him getting eviscerated, bungling a fumble, and getting injured.

He is a walking IR - He will make Tyler Eifert look like Iron Man and Hulk combined
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 11:51 AM)BengalChris Wrote: The team had plenty of offers to move back and should have taken one of them. Reminds me of the Akili Smith pick where Mike Brown overruled the coaches and made his favorite pick, which is exactly what he did with the Ross pick.

I don't recall this at all.  Do you have a link?  Who was the hot player all these teams wanted at #9?
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 11:32 AM)TampaBengal Wrote: The only play he saw the entire year when 'healthy' ended up with him getting eviscerated, bungling a fumble, and getting injured.

He is a walking IR  -  He will make Tyler Eifert look like Iron Man and Hulk combined

Do you want Ross to succeed or am I reading correctly you hope you are right and Ross fails?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Find the pattern for Ross:

Dec 6, 2017 NFL Shoulder Labrum Tear Ross finally revealed another torn labrum in his left shoulder and landed on IR following Week 13. He had surgery in December.

Sept 14, 2017 NFL Hit too hard by Clowney Had to take a few games off to recover.

Sep 30, 2016 Non-NFL Shoulder Labrum Tear Ross aggravated the injury on December 31, 2016, per his agent.

Apr 17, 2015 Non-NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3

Apr 17, 2015 Non-NFL Knee Meniscus Tear Ross re-injured the right knee in which he had previously had 2 meniscus tears repaired.

Sep 13, 2014 Non-NFL Knee Meniscus Tear Ross had January surgery to repair 2 meniscus tears in his right knee

He's going to get broken again by week 2.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 11:46 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Do you want Ross to succeed or am I reading correctly you hope you are right and Ross fails?

I want John Ross to be the next Antonio Brown

But, I also have the ability to see and comprehend that that won't be happening. 

Buddy, sometimes you have to evaluate and accept the situation.  

Opposed to being a blind optimist, what do you expect from Ross in 2018?
Reply/Quote
Great News !

Especially coming from AJ.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 12:00 PM)TampaBengal Wrote: Opposed to being a blind optimist, what do you expect from Ross in 2018?

Based on the way he returned from his injuries in college I expect him to be a very good #2WR for us.  He may not put up big numbers, but he will open up a lot of options for Green and other receivers with his deep speed.

I'd say about 60 receptions for 800 yds and a few tds.

BTW I wonder what happened to Cooper.  As soon as I proposed a sig bet he disappeared and you showed up.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 12:58 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Great News !

Especially coming from AJ.

love AJ..great guy ..very good receiver..but he should focus on making catches when the team needs them

what do u expect AJ to say about Ross?

the dude is a bust and fragile..fact is he could not even remember routes

biggest concern is who authorized the pick last year
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure exactly what "explosive"  means. Does it mean that he's a ticking bomb ready to kill innocent by-standers? OR just yet more made up football jargon to make us think there's a possibility that he'll become a decent wide receiver?  I'm betting on the later.. I'd hate to think they've strapped a suicide bomb vest to the guy.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 12:00 PM)TampaBengal Wrote: I want John Ross to be the next Antonio Brown

But, I also have the ability to see and comprehend that that won't be happening. 

Buddy, sometimes you have to evaluate and accept the situation.  

Opposed to being a blind optimist, what do you expect from Ross in 2018?

I'm expecting him to put on the uniform and play football this season . Hopefully he'll turn out to be better than the average bear.. if not then oh well. He won't be the first player to not live up to the hype associated with being a first round pick and won't be the last..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 01:41 PM)cooper Wrote: what do u expect AJ to say about Ross?

The truth.

AJ could say all sorts of positive things about how hard Ross is working without saying he is "healthy and explosive again".

Don't know why so many people here are so easger to accuse AJ of being a liar.  What makes you all think Green is so dishonest?
Reply/Quote
For some reason, smaller, really fast dudes don't seem to do good in the NFL. Look at Perriman for the Ravenz. Hopefully Ross pans out.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 02:47 PM)Neon Icon Wrote: For some reason, smaller, really fast dudes don't seem to do good in the NFL.

This is absolutely correct.

People can always come up with an example of a small fast guy being really great, but those guys are still the exception to the general rule.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 02:47 PM)Neon Icon Wrote: For some reason, smaller, really fast dudes don't seem to do good in the NFL.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 11:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't recall this at all.  Do you have a link?  Who was the hot player all these teams wanted at #9?

Would a link help your memory return? Or, are you just saying I'm wrong?

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 02:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is absolutely correct.

People can always come up with an example of a small fast guy being really great, but those guys are still the exception to the general rule.

Yessir. You know who else was an epic bust? Kevin White from the Bears. In 2 years...he's played in 5 games due to injury mainly.
Reply/Quote
My crystal ball says he's gonna make a lot of hating fools look really stupid and not one of them will stand up and admit it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think a creative OC can do things to get him open...especially with Green and Eifert. But I think Ross will have to be used underneath at times.

People seem to think he's just going to run past everyone and catch it. That's not how it works.
Reply/Quote