Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WNKU
The greatest radio station the Cincinnati area ever had, and one of the best stations in the country, is signing off.

What a sad time for local radio.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Wow. Terrible news. They give any indication why?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 05:38 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Wow. Terrible news. They give any indication why?

They sold it to the Bible Broadcasting Company. So it's gonna be that now. Said they couldn't afford to keep it going.

I don't listen to all the other cookie cutter stations in the area. I mean, how many more times do I need to hear Soundgarden (a band I like)? They play soundgarden on the Fox now ... well, they were about 18 months ago, which is when I deleted that station from my presets. Which is shameful because it had been a staple since 1990. I haven't listened to WEBN it at least 5 years & 96rock in at least 2.

WNKU was a better option than any of them. It's where I first heard this song

The Fox doesn't play gems like this.
Reply/Quote
There's always Willy and 700WLW?

I kid I kid. I wouldn't wish that on Guantanamo Bay!

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 03:53 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Cry The greatest radio station the Cincinnati area ever had, and one of the best stations in the country, is signing off.

yea I heard this about a month ago....I was bummed out big time.....it was my fav station....all I have left now is NPR.....but it's hard to pick up out here in Adams co....
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 03:53 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: The greatest radio station the Cincinnati area ever had, and one of the best stations in the country, is signing off.

Amen. The vast majority of my favorite music artists came to me through WNKU. When that station launched, it changed my life and by extension the lives of many of my friends. Really a shame.

Hey, is WAIF still on the air? This could be an opening for them or another independent...

Down here we have a public radio at 89.7 where, funny enough, Sheila Rue & Craig Kopp and some others from the old WNKU have been for years, and an independent at 88.5 and the independent is more like WNKU than the station with the WNKU alumni.
If you want to stream either to check them out 89.7 is WUSF and 88.5 is WMNF. I think you will find plenty to like with both, particularly WMNF. They do some political talk in the morning that isn't that good but afternoon and evening usually good music. Particularly good is the Rhythm Revival show with Reverend Billy C Wirtz on Friday afternoons. Cheers mate!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 09:18 AM)xxlt Wrote: Amen. The vast majority of my favorite music artists came to me through WNKU. When that station launched, it changed my life and by extension the lives of many of my friends. Really a shame.

Hey, is WAIF still on the air? This could be an opening for them or another independent...

Down here we have a public radio at 89.7 where, funny enough, Sheila Rue & Craig Kopp and some others from the old WNKU have been for years, and an independent at 88.5 and the independent is more like WNKU than the station with the WNKU alumni.
If you want to stream either to check them out 89.7 is WUSF and 88.5 is WMNF. I think you will find plenty to like with both, particularly WMNF. They do some political talk in the morning that isn't that good but afternoon and evening usually good music. Particularly good is the Rhythm Revival show with Reverend Billy C Wirtz on Friday afternoons. Cheers mate!

I live just north of Cincinnati. Not sure if I can pick those stations up. One of the best things about WNKU; 105.9 is that I could get a clear signal north of Dayton & as far east as Richmond, Indiana. I never had to change the dial.

Like another poster said, I'm so bummed about this. IHeartRadio sucks.
There's so much good music I'll never learn about now.

Years ago, when 96rock first came (back), they were originally on 97.3. Before they took over 97.3, that station was local & played some really good music. It was my favorite station by far (until I discovered WNKU), but that station didnt last long. I was bummed then too.

There simply isn't good radio anymore. Satellite blows. The next best thing is pandora but I don't have car wifi. I don't have time to explore music like I have in the past, so WNKU was perfect. So perfect in fact that at times I thought 'this station was specifically made for just me & me alone'. I mean, they'd play 'Hey Bullfrog' by The Beatles, then some Modest Mouse, the some Tribe Called Quest, then something amazing I'd never heard of. I'm depressed.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 09:33 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I live just north of Cincinnati. Not sure if I can pick those stations up. One of the best things about WNKU; 105.9 is that I could get a clear signal north of Dayton & as far east as Richmond, Indiana. I never had to change the dial.

Like another poster said, I'm so bummed about this. IHeartRadio sucks.
There's so much good music I'll never learn about now.

Years ago, when 96rock first came (back), they were originally on 97.3. Before they took over 97.3, that station was local & played some really good music. It was my favorite station by far (until I discovered WNKU), but that station didnt last long. I was bummed then too.

There simply isn't good radio anymore. Satellite blows. The next best thing is pandora but I don't have car wifi. I don't have time to explore music like I have in the past, so WNKU was perfect. So perfect in fact that at times I thought 'this station was specifically made for just me & me alone'. I mean, they'd play 'Hey Bullfrog' by The Beatles, then some Modest Mouse, the some Tribe Called Quest, then something amazing I'd never heard of. I'm depressed.

I am in Florida - you can stream them on your computer or other web device.

http://www.wmnf.org/

Just click on the listen now button. Guarantee you will feel reincarnated. They have donors from all over the country who listen online...
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
It's a bad deal. At least as depressing as 97x shutting down.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:36 AM)samhain Wrote: It's a bad deal.  At least as depressing as 97x shutting down.

[Image: sidebar_bam.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Ok, I'm not sure why someone has not mentioned the obvious? You gotta try WKRP. Johnny fever has a good show.

Reply/Quote
Super bummed. WNKU is the only FM station I still listen to. And there is no substitute for good, old fashioned antenna radio. Yeah, I can stream plenty of good stations, and I have an enormous iTunes library, but WNKU is a special station.

I have found countless bands through them. I've heard tons of tunes I never knew existed, or plain forgotten about, that I never would have found. Been exposed to a lot of good local stuff. And I've enjoyed a really eclectic mix of genres and artists.

I usually roll my eyes at statements like this, but this stings. I'm really going to miss this channel. It's the nail in the coffin to my listening to FM radio. Very sad to see it go.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 11:21 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Super bummed. WNKU is the only FM station I still listen to. And there is no substitute for good, old fashioned antenna radio. Yeah, I can stream plenty of good stations, and I have an enormous iTunes library, but WNKU is a special station.

I have found countless bands through them. I've heard tons of tunes I never knew existed, or plain forgotten about, that I never would have found. Been exposed to a lot of good local stuff. And I've enjoyed a really eclectic mix of genres and artists.

I usually roll my eyes at statements like this, but this stings. I'm really going to miss this channel. It's the nail in the coffin to my listening to FM radio. Very sad to see it go.

I agree. Pretty much don with FM radio myself. Gonna look into getting pandora in my car somehow.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 07:47 AM)xxlt Wrote: [Image: sidebar_bam.jpg]

We're definitely getting farther away from Cincinnati.  Farther away from K-Mart.  UH-OH!
Reply/Quote
Today is the last broadcast. WNKU signs off at 6pm
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 07:54 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Ok, I'm not sure why someone has not mentioned the obvious? You gotta try WKRP. Johnny fever has a good show.

Les Nessman describing turkey's hitting the parking lot like wet bags of cement is one of the funniest scenes I've ever scene.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 11:32 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Les Nessman describing turkey's hitting the parking lot like wet bags of cement is one of the funniest scenes I've ever scene.

Because he thought Turkeys could fly. Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 05:32 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Today is the last broadcast. WNKU signs off at 6pm

Dude, that DOES suck.  I always tune in when I'm in Ohio.  I discovered a lot of cool new music, and great classic bands I had never heard of like Zephyr.....(thank God for Shazam)....and many odd classics that you never get to hear on normal radio stations.  Sad day.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote