Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Wildcard will be harder to get & the Steelers may be even better in 2017
(04-12-2017, 01:19 PM)depthchart Wrote: Simply getting healthier and improving may not be enough for the Bengals in 2017.
Competition for Wildcards in the AFC should get tougher with what I see as at least 10 teams seriously competing with the Bengals for 6 total AFC Playoff spots.

The Patriots, Steelers, Texans, Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos, Dolphins, Titans, Ravens and Colts make 10.
The Bengals make 11 competing for 6 spots.

The Steelers will get Cameron Heyward & Martavis Bryant back plus some injured secondary help should return. They made the AFC Championship game last season and are the Favorite to win the AFC North in 2017. The Bengals need to find a way to Elevate their play to an Elite level to win this division. If not, they will be Bunched up into a large group of Wildcard contenders many of whom are Ascending teams. A 2017 AFC Wildcard will likely be harder to get than in recent years. The Bengals need to use this Draft to bring an Elite quality to at least one unit or area of the team. Do something to distinguish themselves from the Wildcard contending pack. Seattle was known for an Elite secondary. We have some Elite players scattered on both sides of the ball but need Top notch Units to Gel to actually start earning what the Great teams earn. Otherwise, we are just another team in the crowd.

The Steelers haven't done anything to improve, and 2 of the 3 BBB's are always at risk of missing games. Ben is now 35 and I don't see him lasting much longer with the punishment his style of play has produced.
Texans need a QB and missed out on Romo. 9-7 is probably their ceiling without one.
The Raiders have to deal with half empty stadiums and protests for the next 1-2 years. The Browns fell completely apart in 1995 under the same circumstances.
The Chiefs are a rock solid team under Andy Reid.
The Broncos are a question mark. They could rebound or this could be the beginning of some mediocrity. I'm guessing the latter.
Dolphins were a fluke
Titans are promising but we'll see
Ravens are 31-33 in 4 seasons since their SB win and have no scary players on their roster. Harbaugh has done an amazing job just making them mediocre, but they aren't a threat anymore.
The Colts are coming off 2 straight 8-8 seasons and Luck is the only reason anyone thinks they'll do anything. 

Btw, the Titans, Texans and Colts are obviously all in the same division. Same with the Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos.

It's unlikely that all will be playoff threats at the same time. 

I'm not optimistic about this season with Ogbuehi and Fisher as bookend tackles, but I still like our chances better than some of these teams, including the Ravens. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 04:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Steelers haven't done anything to improve, and 2 of the 3 BBB's are always at risk of missing games. Ben is now 35 and I don't see him lasting much longer with the punishment his style of play has produced.
Texans need a QB and missed out on Romo. 9-7 is probably their ceiling without one.
The Raiders have to deal with half empty stadiums and protests for the next 1-2 years. The Browns fell completely apart in 1995 under the same circumstances.
The Chiefs are a rock solid team under Andy Reid.
The Broncos are a question mark. They could rebound or this could be the beginning of some mediocrity. I'm guessing the latter.
Dolphins were a fluke
Titans are promising but we'll see
Ravens are 31-33 in 4 seasons since their SB win and have no scary players on their roster. Harbaugh has done an amazing job just making them mediocre, but they aren't a threat anymore.
The Colts are coming off 2 straight 8-8 seasons and Luck is the only reason anyone thinks they'll do anything. 

Btw, the Titans, Texans and Colts are obviously all in the same division. Same with the Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos.

It's unlikely that all will be playoff threats at the same time. 

I'm not optimistic about this season with Ogbuehi and Fisher as bookend tackles, but I still like our chances better than some of these teams, including the Ravens. 

Once the 4 Division winners are set that leaves only 2 Wildcard spots up for grabs.
The Steelers offense is formidable and they have another offseason to further upgrade their secondary.
They successfully upgraded their offensive line in recent years and tend to meet their Goals of upgrading areas of focus over time. If Big Ben stays healthy they have the inside track for the division. IMO.

I agree that we are right there in the Mix at least for a Wildcard but unless we do some things to help set us apart we could easily end up on the wrong side of a tiebreaker. Finding a way to Break Away from the Pack was a part of my purpose here. Being the Best out of 32 teams requires some distinguishing qualities. Some Elite qualities some where. Middle of the pack teams may want to focus on making Units of the team Elite rather than plugging their one or two holes with serviceable players. Hole plugging teams seem to stay with the pack.

Many Super Bowl winning teams had Greatness somewhere. Giants D-Line, Seahawks Secondary, Bears defense and now Dallas getting respect for their dominant O-line but no Super bowl win yet granted for this current Dallas group.

What Great quality can the Bengals lay claim to ?
Hole plugging probably won't get us there.
Reply/Quote
Steeler's owner Dan Rooney died today....added incentive for their season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 07:08 PM)pally Wrote: Steeler's owner Dan Rooney died today....added incentive for their season

And the NFL is no doubt already salivating at the opportunity to call games even more so in pittsburghs favor this season.

Steelers win the super bowl this year. Remember I said this and mark it down.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 07:35 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: And the NFL is no doubt already salivating at the opportunity to call games even more so in pittsburghs favor this season.

Predicting a team that made the AFC Championship game and has a HOF QB and top-tier offense will win the Super Bowl?  How did you get so bold! Ninja

I can tell you the fix is on.  The NFL will do anything in their power to make sure the Steelers, Patriots, Packers,  Seahawks, or Cowboys are in the mix for the title.  Mark that down, because if I'm wrong my career as a non-professional football analyst is toast. Hell, I even bet the Browns won't be good again next year. Book it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 08:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Predicting a team that made the AFC Championship game and has a HOF QB and top-tier offense will win the Super Bowl?  How did you get so bold! Ninja

I can tell you the fix is on.  The NFL will do anything in their power to make sure the Steelers, Patriots, Packers,  Seahawks, or Cowboys are in the mix for the title.  Mark that down, because if I'm wrong my career as a non-professional football analyst is toast.  Hell, I even bet the Browns won't be good again next year.  Book it.

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

In regards to this thread.. I think we have a much better chance than people give us credit for. Our line might still be bad but it can't be as bad as it was last year. And the chances of Gio, AJ, and Eifert all getting hurt again aren't very high. I'm still hoping for an amazing draft. I don't think we're that far. 
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 07:35 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: And the NFL is no doubt already salivating at the opportunity to call games even more so in pittsburghs favor this season.

Yep.  Not the first thought that crossed my mind after hearing of his death, but definitely one of them.  
Reply/Quote
Patriots = Better Than Us

Chiefs = Better Than Us

Raiders = Better Than Us

Texans = Better Than Us (No QB. No Problem. Never stopped them from whipping us before.)
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 10:08 AM)samhain Wrote: Yep.  Not the first thought that crossed my mind after hearing of his death, but definitely one of them.  

The Steelers owner dies and they're going to be handed a SB. Our owner dies and all we get is 25 years of abject failure.  Life sure is a kick in the nuts. 
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 01:19 PM)depthchart Wrote: Simply getting healthier and improving may not be enough for the Bengals in 2017.
Competition for Wildcards in the AFC should get tougher with what I see as at least 10 teams seriously competing with the Bengals for 6 total AFC Playoff spots.

The Patriots, Steelers, Texans, Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos, Dolphins, Titans, Ravens and Colts make 10.

The Steelers will get Cameron Heyward & Martavis Bryant back plus some injured secondary help should return. They made the AFC Championship game last season and are the Favorite to win the AFC North in 2017. The Bengals need to find a way to Elevate their play to an Elite level to win this division. If not, they will be Bunched up into a large group of Wildcard contenders many of whom are Ascending teams. A 2017 AFC Wildcard will likely be harder to get than in recent years. The Bengals need to use this Draft to bring an Elite quality to at least one unit or area of the team. Do something to distinguish themselves from the Wildcard contending pack. Seattle was known for an Elite secondary. We have some Elite players scattered on both sides of the ball but need Top notch Units to Gel to actually start earning what the Great teams earn. Otherwise, we are just another team in the crowd.

I applaud the Steelers because they win playoff games and we cant even accomplish that but they were way overrated last year. The AFC was the weakest it had ever been because of injuries. Carr was hurt, Pitt got to play Miami with a scrub at QB. Then they went to Arrowhead and played a sorry ass KC offense and  they still almost lost. 

Like I said, they win the games they are supposed to, which sometimes we struggle with, but they are not that much better than us. 
Reply/Quote
The beauty of football, is you never know whos going to be good/surprising

No one would ever guess we would make the playoffs with rookie andy dalton and rookie aj green in 2011

Before the start of last season, you didnt guess the falcons would go to the super bowl.

We knew the browns were going to be bad last year, but we didnt know almost 0-16 bad. Especially with hue at the throne.

In baseball, yes the reds are doing okay; but that wont last. They are a below .500 team and we knew that before opening day.

The nba playoffs just started, and lets be honest, we know its going to be Golden State vs Cleveland in the finals. And we knew that before the tip off of the nba season.

Football is unpredictable, the games are a coin flip. I saw the Browns a couple years ago straight thump the Steelers 38-10.

I would say we have a 50/50 shot at the playoffs, especially in the AFC.

The AFC is very top heavy, but weak everywhere else.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2017, 07:39 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I applaud the Steelers because they win playoff games and we cant even accomplish that but they were way overrated last year. The AFC was the weakest it had ever been because of injuries. Carr was hurt, Pitt got to play Miami with a scrub at QB. Then they went to Arrowhead and played a sorry ass KC offense and  they still almost lost. 

Like I said, they win the games they are supposed to, which sometimes we struggle with, but they are not that much better than us. 

They swept us, made it further than we have in 28 years, and won 11 games to our 6. But other than that what did they do to show they are any better than us?!
Reply/Quote
Steelers will take the North. There's no reasonable basis to say otherwise.

The Bengals need to make the most out of the fact that they play NFC North teams not named Green Bay, Buffalo once, and Cleveland and Baltimore twice to have a legit shot.

Their playoff hopes drop dramatically if they drop any of those 8 because the other 8 are a toss-up at best or an L at worst.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 08:31 AM)Nately120 Wrote: They swept us, made it further than we have in 28 years, and won 11 games to our 6. But other than that what did they do to show they are any better than us?!

They sweep us almost every year, even when we are better than them. I said they were better than us last year, just not by much. A decent offensive line and healthy players and we would have been better just like the year before.

You can suck the Steeler's nuts if you want to, but if you watched the AFC championship game they did not belong on the same field. It was a weak AFC last year and that is why they made the AFC championship game.  

I said they are better than us but if you watched the playoffs the Steelers looked terrible and Ben is getting older. LeVeon Bell is their version of Tyler Eifert and can't stay on the field.
Reply/Quote

True enough, but i think the Defense as a whole can be elite if we add another pass rusher or two to the fold.

I keep saying letting Peko and Maualuga go and giving those jobs to Billings and Minter is exactly what i would of done.

This season will hinge on if the O-line improves, can protect Dalton and open up holes in the running game.

I still have no faith in Marv getting us ready to sweep the Steelers, we have done that like what? Once. We will have to
split with them and sweep the rest of the Division which could happen if the things i speak of happen. Possible, problem
is still Marvin Lewis. He cannot outcoach good coaches in the Playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Interestingly we were actually predicted to have a full 2 wins over what we ended up having based on Pythagorean expectations. So we should have been competing for a playoff spot, we just got unlucky. Again with a bad AFC luck is all that it takes. Of course losing 2 key players doesn't help
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 02:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True enough, but i think the Defense as a whole can be elite if we add another pass rusher or two to the fold.

I keep saying letting Peko and Maualuga go and giving those jobs to Billings and Minter is exactly what i would of done.

This season will hinge on if the O-line improves, can protect Dalton and open up holes in the running game.

I still have no faith in Marv getting us ready to sweep the Steelers, we have done that like what? Once. We will have to
split with them and sweep the rest of the Division which could happen if the things i speak of happen. Possible, problem
is still Marvin Lewis. He cannot outcoach good coaches in the Playoffs.

The Safety play improved as last season progressed as Shawn Williams got experience. So that should be better in 2017.
If William Jackson III with 4.37 speed is Legit and with the addition of Keivarie Russell the Corners should be better.
The Linebacker group should at least hold serve and as you say may be better with Minter. Nick Vigil also has more experience now.

Geno and Dunlap are excellent.
Upgrading the Michael Johnson position with at least a better rotational option would boost the D-line.
While Peko was not elite, he was pretty Durable which Billings is yet to prove.
I'd like to see another mid round DT taken this Draft to compete with Billings say round 4 or 5.
DT's can drop like flies with injuries during a season and Peko's durability may end up being missed even though he wasn't a Star.
Brandon Thompson who is only 27 years old and a 3rd round pick may be in the mix also for Peko's old job.

The Defense is close and as you say the Offense is the Bigger question. The Offense may get more early pick attention.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 04:02 PM)depthchart Wrote: The Safety play improved as last season progressed as Shawn Williams got experience. So that should be better in 2017.
If William Jackson III with 4.37 speed is Legit and with the addition of Keivarie Russell the Corners should be better.
The Linebacker group should at least hold serve and as you say may be better with Minter. Nick Vigil also has more experience now.

Geno and Dunlap are excellent.
Upgrading the Michael Johnson position with at least a better rotational option would boost the D-line.
While Peko was not elite, he was pretty Durable which Billings is yet to prove.
I'd like to see another mid round DT taken this Draft to compete with Billings say round 4 or 5.
DT's can drop like flies with injuries during a season and Peko's durability may end up being missed even though he wasn't a Star.
Brandon Thompson who is only 27 years old and a 3rd round pick may be in the mix also for Peko's old job.

The Defense is close and as you say the Offense is the Bigger question. The Offense may get more early pick attention.

All great points.

If we are talking about a mid round DT, i like Eddie Vanderdoes, the big run stopper out of UCLA.

I love Brandon Thompson's first step and strength, he just hasn't been able to stay healthy at all for us to really see it.

Happy he is just 27 after all we have went through with the guy.

On the last point, we definately need more help on Offense but that is mostly through the Center and RB position.....

If we take an early offensive player i expect it to either be OJ Howard the TE at 9, one of the 3 top WR's, or a RB in 1 or 2 right now...

But still need that pass rusher opposite Dunlap.

There are lots of ways to go to fill these holes and it is very possible to still fill them correctly.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 02:11 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: They sweep us almost every year, even when we are better than them. I said they were better than us last year, just not by much. A decent offensive line and healthy players and we would have been better just like the year before.

You can suck the Steeler's nuts if you want to, but if you watched the AFC championship game they did not belong on the same field. It was a weak AFC last year and that is why they made the AFC championship game.  

I said they are better than us but if you watched the playoffs the Steelers looked terrible and Ben is getting older. LeVeon Bell is their version of Tyler Eifert and can't stay on the field.

Good point.  Other than sweeping us, winning 5 more games than us, and playing a meaningful game 2 months after our season was dead in the water what did the Steelers actually do to show they were much (if at all) better than us?  

Then again, we swept the Browns and won 5 more games than they did.  Hmm....nah you're right, total nut-hugging on the Steelers by me on this one.  
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 12:20 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Good point.  Other than sweeping us, winning 5 more games than us, and playing a meaningful game 2 months after our season was dead in the water what did the Steelers actually do to show they were much (if at all) better than us?  

Then again, we swept the Browns and won 5 more games than they did.  Hmm....nah you're right, total nut-hugging on the Steelers by me on this one.  

You got that right. :andy:
Reply/Quote