Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inverted coaching tree
I've seen Marvin Lewis' coaching tree posted a few times and it is filled with impressive resumes. By my count, there are 5 current NFL head coaches (Hue Jackson, Vance Joseph, Mike Zimmer, Jack Del Rio, & Jay Gruden) who previously coached under Marvin, and I think I would pick any one of them over Marvin to coach a team if given a choice.

It is amazing that Lewis has the most inverted or unique coaching tree due to the sheer quantity of his staff who surpass him professionally.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
Does Leslie Frazier still have a job somewhere in the NFL?
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 03:58 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: It is amazing that Lewis has the most inverted or unique coaching tree due to the sheer quantity of his staff who surpass him professionally.

Career winning percentage
Zimmer.........542
Lewis............533
DelRio...........508
Gruden..........448
Jackson.........281

Percentage of seasons in playoffs
Lewis............500
Zimmer.........333
Gruden.........333
DelRio...........273
Jackson.........0

Playoff wins
DelRio...........1
Lewis............0
Zimmer.........0
Jackson.........0
Gruden..........0

How have any of these other coaches "surpassed" Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 04:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Career winning percentage
Zimmer.........542
Lewis............533
DelRio...........508
Gruden..........448
Jackson.........281

Lewis............500
Zimmer.........333
Gruden.........333
DelRio...........273
Jackson.........0

Playoff wins
DelRio...........1
Lewis............0
Zimmer.........0
Jackson.........0
Gruden..........0

All of those coaches have surpassed Marvin in coaching skill.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 08:06 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: All of those coaches have surpassed Marvin in coaching skill.

No they have not.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 08:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No they have not.

Yes they have.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2017, 03:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yes they have.

No.  They have not.

Zimmer.........542
Lewis............533
DelRio...........508
Gruden..........448
Jackson.........281

Lewis............500
Zimmer.........333
Gruden.........333
DelRio...........273
Jackson.........0

Playoff wins
DelRio...........1
Lewis............0
Zimmer.........0
Jackson.........0
Gruden..........0

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 03:58 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: I've seen Marvin Lewis' coaching tree posted a few times and it is filled with impressive resumes.  By my count, there are 5 current NFL head coaches (Hue Jackson, Vance Joseph, Mike Zimmer, Jack Del Rio, & Jay Gruden) who previously coached under Marvin, and I think I would pick any one of them over Marvin to coach a team if given a choice.

It is amazing that Lewis has the most inverted or unique coaching tree due to the sheer quantity of his staff who surpass him professionally.

The man seems to have an eye for talent at both coaching and playing football. This is one reason I have long contended he would make a better GM or personnel director than HC.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Shouldn't the coaches actually be good before people brag about coaching trees?

Zimmer and Gruden are mixed at best, probably on the hot seat this year if they don't produce.
Leslie Frazier sucked.
Jack DelRio is more mediocre than Marv if that's possible. (this should be more Brian Billick's tree than Marv anyway)
Vance Joseph hasn't done anything yet.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure about this tree, but, i believe Gruden won a SUPER BOWL with the Bucaneers does that count as a playoff win ?
Cool
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2017, 06:12 PM)firstand10 Wrote: I'm not sure about this tree, but, i believe Gruden won a SUPER BOWL with the Bucaneers does that count as a playoff win ?
Cool

Gruden was a towel boy for the Bucs when they won a Super Bowl.  Marvin was DC when he won his.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure Gruden was the HC when he won the SUPER BOWL !
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2017, 09:31 PM)firstand10 Wrote: I'm sure Gruden was the HC when he won the SUPER BOWL !

Not in Marvin's coaching tree
Reply/Quote
Del Rio doesn't count but that explains the playoff win
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Zimmer.........542
Lewis............533
DelRio...........508
Gruden..........448
Jackson.........281

Lewis............500
Zimmer.........333
Gruden.........333
DelRio...........273
Jackson.........0

Playoff wins
DelRio...........1
Lewis............0
Zimmer.........0
Jackson.........0
Gruden..........0

Gruden and Zimmer have only had 3 years to try. They are similar if you just take Marvin's first three years.

Both made playoffs in second year where it took Marvin until year three. Zimmer may have made it 2 out of 3 years if not for season ending injury to starting QB who led them to 11-5 record in first year starting . 

Zimmer's record 26-22 with back up QB in one year
Marvin's record   27-21 
Gruden's record  21-26 

All had a 333 playoff appearance at same juncture of HC careers

My boy Gruden may be on hot seat as Shake pointed out but do not see any way that Zimmer's seat is warm. 

Think both will be good NFL coaches and do Marvin proud as well as Joseph. He just does not have a track record yet. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 11:27 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Gruden and Zimmer have only had 3 years to try. They are similar if you just take Marvin's first three years.

Both made playoffs in second year where it took Marvin until year three. Zimmer may have made it 2 out of 3 years if not for season ending injury to starting QB who led them to 11-5 record in first year starting . 

Zimmer's record 26-22 with back up QB in one year
Marvin's record   27-21 
Gruden's record  21-26 

All had a 333 playoff appearance at same juncture of HC careers

My boy Gruden may be on hot seat as Shake pointed out but do not see any way that Zimmer's seat is warm. 

Think both will be good NFL coaches and do Marvin proud as well as Joseph. He just does not have a track record yet. 

Maybe, maybe not. The Vikings started hot with Bradford and fell apart. I do know this...neither would be on a "hot seat" if Mike Brown were their boss.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 03:58 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: I've seen Marvin Lewis' coaching tree posted a few times and it is filled with impressive resumes.  By my count, there are 5 current NFL head coaches (Hue Jackson, Vance Joseph, Mike Zimmer, Jack Del Rio, & Jay Gruden) who previously coached under Marvin, and I think I would pick any one of them over Marvin to coach a team if given a choice.

Well results matter.. so far the coaches you mentioned overall have not had the success of Marvin but are off to good starts. 
Reply/Quote