Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abolishing the suburbs?
(07-19-2020, 04:15 PM)treee Wrote: Man my mind was blown when I realized how many prominent black people were hateful towards Jewish people.

Spend some time in NYC.  You'll hear every different group have something to say about every other group.  Hate is not a white only thing. 

Systematic racism built into the system to keep one race above the others is.  Something folks don't want to hear.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 05:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thanks for the expanded explanation.  In my job as a Surveyor, I sometimes also assist the engineers with helping them to prepare drawings for submittal to the various planning departments.  I also sometimes assist with site design, and have to research various UDOs to ensure that what I am designing is in full compliance.  So, given the nature of my various work related duties, I find topics like this one interesting.  

My step dad has been a surveyor his whole life and his dad was one too, so he always has great insight on these kinds of things.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 05:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: One of the outcomes of the current unrest is a lot of non-white racists are feeling very comfortable in expressing their racism.  What you mention above is an open secret.  I can't tell you the amount of racist things I've heard black and hispanic people say, usually directed at the other.

That would be completely reasonable.  I had heard, and believe me I didn't take it at face value, that this meant all cities had to open "X" percentage of available housing to section 8 housing.  

That sounds like a scare tactic, but the morsel of truth hidden is that most cities probably seek those grants because they’re so valuable. It’s like saying schools only have to follow federal laws if they take funds. Who Wouldn’t take the money?

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 05:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: Spend some time in NYC.  You'll hear every different group have something to say about every other group.  Hate is not a white only thing. 

Spike Lee was honest enough to show black people in his movies racist against other races (Jews, Whites, Koreans, etc)

He did not show it as if it was acceptable.  He was just showing how it was.

Stuff like this is one reason it is hard for white writers/directors to do movies about black culture.  I think a lot of people would attack them for it.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 05:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: Spend some time in NYC.  You'll hear every different group have something to say about every other group.  Hate is not a white only thing. 

Systematic racism built into the system to keep one race above the others is.  Something folks don't want to hear.

I made friends with some guys from Namibia when I was in college.  They were wealthy Arabic young men that were at UK studying engineering, and they frequented the bar that I worked at.  They were like any other privileged young people chasing women, drinking and partying, with one exception:  They were probably the most unabashed racists I've ever met.  They didn't so much hate blacks.  They just viewed them as inferior and to be subjugated.  After seeing a young black patron argue with one of the staff one evening, he looked at me and said something to the effect of "In my country I would spit in that (n-bomb)'s face and make him go down the street and buy me a pack of cigarettes".  It was some eye-opening shit for sure.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 06:40 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: My step dad has been a surveyor his whole life and his dad was one too, so he always has great insight on these kinds of things.

A bit off topic, but George Washington was a Land Surveyor.  It's a little publicized detail about his life, but vital to the establishment of our Nation.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 07:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Spike Lee was honest enough to show black people in his movies racist against other races (Jews, Whites, Koreans, etc)

He did not show it as if it was acceptable.  He was just showing how it was.

Stuff like this is one reason it is hard for white writers/directors to do movies about black culture.  I think a lot of people would attack them for it.

A good point, as Lee directly attacked Quentin Tarantino for exactly that.  Seeing as how Tarantino is, IMO, the absolute best writer of dialogue in the history of film making I chalked it up to unabashed jealousy.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 08:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A bit off topic, but George Washington was a Land Surveyor.  It's a little publicized detail about his life, but vital to the establishment of our Nation.

This is something some of us in Virginia are well aware of, because he has left his mark so well in some places (that's a terrible pun).

[Image: 3563502616_a9ec12ea50_b.jpg]

That's at Natural Bridge.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 08:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is something some of us in Virginia are well aware of, because he has left his mark so well in some places (that's a terrible pun).

[Image: 3563502616_a9ec12ea50_b.jpg]

That's at Natural Bridge.

Good stuff, but who's "CW"?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 08:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A bit off topic, but George Washington was a Land Surveyor.  It's a little publicized detail about his life, but vital to the establishment of our Nation.

Yep, I know that because of my step dad, but there’s also an old plantation in my town that’s now a museum, and Washington would stay there a lot, so they have a ton of stuff about him there.

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 08:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yep, I know that because of my step dad, but there’s also an old plantation in my town that’s now a museum, and Washington would stay there a lot, so they have a ton of stuff about him there.

I'm not saying that he didn't have unsavory things in his story.  However, I think that most modern people would have a tough time finding any revered leader of a Nation that didn't have some ugly truths about them, in their story.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 08:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good stuff, but who's "CW"?

It's actually supposed to be Washington's mark. At least that's what they tell you at the park. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 09:06 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's actually supposed to be Washington's mark. At least that's what they tell you at the park. LOL

Would make things really interesting, if there were ever to be a record discovered of a freed slave, perhaps one that went by "Clearance Washington"..  LOL

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 08:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not saying that he didn't have unsavory things in his story.  However, I think that most modern people would have a tough time finding any revered leader of a Nation that didn't have some ugly truths about them, in their story.

Agreed, that’s why I’m not in the “no statues of founding fathers” camp

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 10:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Agreed, that’s why I’m not in the “no statues of founding fathers” camp

I have a feeling that the Trump memorial statue will look a lot like this one of Washington

[Image: 100_1104.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 10:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Agreed, that’s why I’m not in the “no statues of founding fathers” camp

I tend to be, but that's because I think that the framers saw the idea, the experiment that they were building as more important than themselves and the way we tend to glorify them would make them uncomfortable.

Reply/Quote
Boo!

Are you SCARED yet "suburban housewives" who have left me in droves?!?!?

You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2020, 04:11 PM)GMDino Wrote: Boo!

Are you SCARED yet "suburban housewives" who have left me in droves?!?!?

Trump is facing a record gender gap in polling, so he obviosly needs to appeal to female voters.

But for some reason he thinks the female voters in the suburbs are all "housewives" when in fact most of them are employed outside the home.

Just more proof of how out-of-touch he is with the people he is trying to get support from.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 10:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Trump is facing a record gender gap in polling, so he obviosly needs to appeal to female voters.

But for some reason he thinks the female voters in the suburbs are all "housewives" when in fact most of them are employed outside the home.

Just moe proof of how out-of-touch he is with the people he is trying to get support from.

It has been amusing to watch him try and be "Presidential" for the past week in public.  It won't last.  And the damage is done.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote