Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortion for undocumented teen? Pro-life gov official thinks not
(10-25-2017, 10:06 AM)GMDino Wrote: According to the story she didn't know she was pregnant until after she crossed.

How convenient. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-25-2017, 01:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How convenient. 

As convenient as the spin when the story was posted here I suppose.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-25-2017, 08:57 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: No. Roe v. Wade does not cover this. There is no federal statute at this time that would override the law that requires a minor receive permission.

I mentioned Roe vs Wade not with respect to the law requiring permission, but because it was the decision which made abortion legal.  Were it not for Roe vs Wade, Texas authorities would not have been ordered to allow Jane Doe to pursue an abortion.
(10-25-2017, 02:17 PM)Dill Wrote: I mentioned Roe vs Wade not with respect to the law requiring permission, but because it was the decision which made abortion legal.  Were it not for Roe vs Wade, Texas authorities would not have been ordered to allow Jane Doe to pursue an abortion.

Absolutely agree, here. This court decision may result in a challenge to laws in Texas and Louisiana regarding minors requiring permission, but the circumstances may be too specific to result in any significance in the case law.
I think the age of 18 was picked because that is the age at which you finish high school and we need young men who have the "Invincibility" mindset to fight our wars.

The age of 21 to drink alcohol was picked because It's a reward for those who made it through 3 years of college and they will need large amounts of alcohol to get through their final year.

If whoever wanted to get it right, adulthood should be set at age 25 when the brain fully develops and your reasoning moves from the frontal lobe to where it's supposed to be.
(10-25-2017, 09:21 AM)bfine32 Wrote: She has the right to have an abortion; however, she must have parental consent.

I'll answer the cliff notes question as we've witnessed you do all you can to circumvent it.

Yes. The cliff notes to this situation is that a person should not be required to follow state law because they are an illegal immigrant.

You can argue the validity/rationale of the state law all you want; however, that does not change to essential matters in this case. If you truly disagree with this instead of simply posting a lot of words and using the bold feature arbitrarily. ask yourself: When was the last case in Texas that made National news because a 17 year old citizen's guardian did not concur with the girl's desire to abort her child.    

The 21st amendment lifted prohibition, does she have the right to drink

The 19th amendment granted women the right to vote. Could this girl vote even if she were a citizen?

If you answered no to either of these then ask your self one final question: Why did you answer no.

The bold feature, as used in my original post, signals 1) article titles and 2) the aspect of the case I found most troubling.  But the bold type puzzled you and you did not grasp my emphasis?

The question of state law was of no interest to me when I posted the original links. 

And the last link I posted was the restraining order, which, if I recall, does not mention state law at all, but a woman's constitutional right to an abortion.  The judge decided this was the "essential matter" and posted "a lot of words" to that effect. No reference to state law and Jane Doe's status as undocumented. Perhaps you need to ask her "when was the last case in Texas that made National news because a 17 year old citizen's guardian did not concur with the girl's desire to abort her child."   

Even the Texas Attorney General, Ken Paxton, is addressing the case as a question of whether federal authorities have a right to block abortion access.  And so that is why I answered "no" to your query about state law.
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/10/10/undocumented-teenager-seeks-court-authorization-abortion-after-federal/

I will become interested in your state law question if the current ruling on the matter is sent to a higher court and/or eventually reaches the Supreme Court, and I will be especially interested if, owing to Trump's appointee, the ruling is overturned or Roe vs Wade itself is challenged on the basis of state law.
(10-25-2017, 03:56 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I think the age of 18 was picked because that is the age at which you finish high school and we need young men who have the "Invincibility" mindset to fight our wars.

The age of 21 to drink alcohol was picked because It's a reward for those who made it through 3 years of college and they will need large amounts of alcohol to get through their final year.

If whoever wanted to get it right, adulthood should be set at age 25 when the brain fully develops and your reasoning moves from the frontal lobe to where it's supposed to be.

Having people not reach "adulthood" for the first 25 of their 80 years would be absurd. That means for almost a full third of their life, they wouldn't be able to legally make decisions for themselves, or have a legal voice in any election or political process.

Always thought it was damned goofy that you could drive a 3,000 pound death machine at 15, drive it solo at 16, die for your country at 17... but couldn't vote until you were 18, and couldn't drink a beer until you were 21.

25 is the exact opposite direction that the number needs to go.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As for the original story.. well, she got the abortion, so there's no potential US citizen in her anymore. Time for her to get deported since she's an admitted illegal that the courts know about. Right?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(10-25-2017, 02:13 AM)Dill Wrote: And as already explained, lack of citizenship and state laws do not affect the question of basic rights. 

I always thought that the right to life was a basic right. Guess it only counts if you look like a human being.
[Image: giphy.gif]