Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About that Chapman deal...
The Reds  traded Chapman to the New York Yankees for four players: they gave up third baseman Eric Jagielo, a 2013 first-round draft pick who made the All-Star team at Class AA Trenton this year; second baseman Tony Renda, whom they acquired from Washington last season for pitcher David Carpenter; and pitchers Caleb Cotham, who was 1-0 with a 6.52 E.R.A. in 12 appearances for the Yankees, and the head-liner, Rookie Davis, who was added to the team’s 40-man roster last month.

The Yankees just traded Aroldis Chapman to the Chicago Cubs for Gleyber Torres – a slick-fielding shortstop who has shown developing power and plate discipline this season. He’s 3.5 years younger than his league average. MLB Pipeline (MLBP) rates Torres #24 in baseball and #1 in the Cubs system. Baseball Prospectus (BP)  ranks him #1 with the Cubs and #34 overall in their midseason rankings.

That't not all. They hauled in Billy McKinney (OF, #4 Cubs prospect BP, #75 overall MLBP) and another prospect,  Rashad Crawford (OF). Also included was Adam Warren, an established major league pitcher who the Yankees could slot into their rotation allowing them to make an additional trade.

The Yanks just got a haul, making the Reds FO look pathetic just in that deal, even if the Cubs did likely over-pay a wee-bit. Worst part was walt said all along that they got "fair value"
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah and he's only under contract through this year. I don't know if the Reds got robbed by the Yankees or the Cubs did.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2016, 10:27 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: The Yanks just got a haul, making the Reds FO look pathetic just in that deal,

I don't understand.

What were the rankings of the players we received?
Reply/Quote
You can't compare the two trades. The Reds held onto Chapman and waited till after the legal troubles came out to get rid of him. It's supply and demand. The Yankees traded him, mid-season, to a team that's going all out for a WSC. 

Apples and Oranges.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I'm still happy getting Davis and Jagielo, both will be great young players for the team in the next few years. We just signed an international player who is also a slick fielding SS, so not going to be hurting there in the future either.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2016, 07:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You can't compare the two trades. The Reds held onto Chapman and waited till after the legal troubles came out to get rid of him. It's supply and demand. The Yankees traded him, mid-season, to a team that's going all out for a WSC. 

Apples and Oranges.

So why not wait until the teams are desperate and get the best possible return? Why would you trade him at his lowest value?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 01:32 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: So why not wait until the teams are desperate and get the best possible return? Why would you trade him at his lowest value?

That's where the Reds screwed up. They held onto him until after the season. Then they shipped him off after the accusations came out, which lowered his value even more. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
The CUBS have the team and the manager to win the World Series for the first time in over 100 years......and adding Chapman just makes their pitching staff that much tougher....I don't blame the CUBS for doing whatever it takes.....over 100 years.....and the Reds so awful.....I'm rooting for Da' CUBS in the play-offs....probably the only team I'll watch play in the play-offs....GO CUBS..
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote