Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
About the Joey Porter thing
(01-12-2016, 04:21 PM)Beaker Wrote: If you dont think Gio was a defenseless receiver then youre the one who's grasping. Everyone in the nation who wasn't rooting for the steelers knows that the call on Gio's hit was incorrect.

Maybe you can finally ask the question as to how many actual steps Gia took before he got hit?  What is it with Bengals fans and running away from arguments they're losing?  Answer the question, Claire!
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 04:21 PM)Beaker Wrote: If you dont think Gio was a defenseless receiver then youre the one who's grasping. Everyone in the nation who wasn't rooting for the steelers knows that the call on Gio's hit was incorrect.

He wasn't defenseless.  But it was leading with the crown and could/should have been flagged.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 04:39 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Maybe you can finally ask the question as to how many actual steps Gia took before he got hit?  What is it with Bengals fans and running away from arguments they're losing?  Answer the question, Claire!

Pease refer to the following response:

(01-13-2016, 04:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: He wasn't defenseless.  But it was leading with the crown and could/should have been flagged.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 04:39 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Maybe you can finally ask the question as to how many actual steps Gia took before he got hit?  What is it with Bengals fans and running away from arguments they're losing?  Answer the question, Claire!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

I'll answer it....it appeared to be three....the same amount that Bryant took when he DID draw a flag for a hit on a defenseless receiver from a textbook tackle.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 05:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'll answer it....it appeared to be three....the same amount that Bryant took when he DID draw a flag for a hit on a defenseless receiver from a textbook tackle.

Wheaton.  ThumbsUp

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 05:36 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Pease refer to the following response:

Please be aware of the context of the post you're quoting before adding information that isn't relevant.
(01-13-2016, 05:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'll answer it....it appeared to be three....the same amount that Bryant took when he DID draw a flag for a hit on a defenseless receiver from a textbook tackle.

Incorrect.  His feet left the ground, and subsequently touched the ground, a total of four times, two for each foot, once he caught the ball.  He was in the process of turning up field, i.e. a football move, when he was hit.  Argue whether the hit was illegal due to the crown of the helmet rule, which many officials say it is not, all you want.  Don't try and claim he was "defenseless" because he clearly was not.  Deal with it.
Reply/Quote

He was as defenseless as Bryant or whoever it was that Shawn Williams got flagged for hitting.

As in, not defenseless at all. But that doesn't matter - Shazier used the crown of his helmet and that's a flag given the part of the field it was done in.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
Actually, I'm looking forward to seeing them roll Ben out in a wheelchair this weekend, doped up on painkillers and horse steroids and with his arm attached by wires, so that he can noodle-arm interceptions to the Broncos while Brown aimlessly wanders around his own end zone looking for daisies to pick.

Now that's entertainment!! ThumbsUp

(This post has been granted the Jack Lambert Approval Award for Violent Content)
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:21 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: He was as defenseless as Bryant or whoever it was that Shawn Williams got flagged for hitting.

As in, not defenseless at all. But that doesn't matter - Shazier used the crown of his helmet and that's a flag given the part of the field it was done in.

I, personally, hate the ay the game is called now.  I've stated this many times over the years.  That being said, if you've been watching the NFL for the past five years and don't see the difference between the hit on Wheaton and the hit on Gia then I don't know where to even start with you.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I, personally, hate the ay the game is called now.  I've stated this many times over the years.  That being said, if you've been watching the NFL for the past five years and don't see the difference between the hit on Wheaton and the hit on Gia then I don't know where to even start with you.

Why?  Being serious.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That being said, if you've been watching the NFL for the past five years and don't see the difference between the hit on Wheaton and the hit on Gio then I don't know where to even start with you.

Yes, wheaton got a legal shoulder to the chest, while Gio was illegally hit in the facemask by a player leading with the crown of his helmet.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Why?  Being serious.  

Basically the difference is this.  Wheaton caught the ball over the middle and was hit, almost immediately, while traveling in the exact same direction as he was moving when he caught the ball.  He had not made the important, "football move", that would indicate he was in a position to protect himself.  In today's NFL that's going to draw a flag every time.  BTW it occurring over the middle increases the likelihood of a flag whether you think that's fair, right, correct or not.

Gio caught the ball in the flat with his back to the defense. He then took four steps, not necessarily forward but steps nonetheless, turned and was hit by Shazier.  This type of hit is far less likely to draw a flag as the player in question has made a, "football move", in this case turning upfield, that would indicate he has had time to protect himself.  Even people conscious of the outside the tackle box rule have since stated the hit was legal, hence the official's obvious reluctance to throw a flag in real time.  Lastly, and this is true whether you like it or not, a RB so close to the LOS is much less likely to draw a flag for a hit than a WR over the middle down the field.  Again, it may not be fair or right but it is reality.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 07:29 PM)Beaker Wrote: Yes, wheaton got a legal shoulder to the chest, while Gio was illegally hit in the facemask by a player leading with the crown of his helmet.

You're almost there, just swap those two words in their correct forms and you're good to go.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 07:45 PM)Vlad Wrote: You're almost there, just swap those two words in their correct forms and you're good to go.

World reality and steeler reality are apparently 2 different things.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 04:13 PM)Griever Wrote: oh the difference between a runner and a defenseless receiver

but keep grasping, theres always next year

Has nothing to do with "defenseless". The applicable rule is 'forcible contact with the crown of the helmet'. It's a rule that's in the book but rarely called.

If you break out the back window to the local liquor store to get your bottle of Mad Dog 20/20, instead of paying for it like you usually do--and you don't get caught--you've still broken the law.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 07:47 PM)Beaker Wrote: World reality and steeler reality are apparently 2 different things.

The world reality and Steeler reality is that the bengals make the Steelers look squeaky clean.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 07:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Basically the difference is this.  Wheaton caught the ball over the middle and was hit, almost immediately, while traveling in the exact same direction as he was moving when he caught the ball.  He had not made the important, "football move", that would indicate he was in a position to protect himself.  In today's NFL that's going to draw a flag every time.  BTW it occurring over the middle increases the likelihood of a flag whether you think that's fair, right, correct or not.

Gio caught the ball in the flat with his back to the defense. He then took four steps, not necessarily forward but steps nonetheless, turned and was hit by Shazier.  This type of hit is far less likely to draw a flag as the player in question has made a, "football move", in this case turning upfield, that would indicate he has had time to protect himself.  Even people conscious of the outside the tackle box rule have since stated the hit was legal, hence the official's obvious reluctance to throw a flag in real time.  Lastly, and this is true whether you like it or not, a RB so close to the LOS is much less likely to draw a flag for a hit than a WR over the middle down the field.  Again, it may not be fair or right but it is reality.

You might want to revisit that. Wheaton had time to get 3 feet down and brace for the impact. That's why Williams made contact with his helmet. Gio didn't have time to brace for anything.

It was reported by Dave Lapham, though unsubstantiated, that Marv was told by Parry that there shouldn't have been a flag on that play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--KlLWNlao

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 08:07 PM)Vlad Wrote: The world reality and Steeler reality is that the bengals make the Steelers look squeaky clean.

So you admit its just an illusion.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 08:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You might want to revisit that. Wheaton had time to get 3 feet down and brace for the impact. That's why Williams made contact with his helmet. Gio didn't have time to brace for anything.

It was reported by Dave Lapham, though unsubstantiated, that Marv was told by Parry that there shouldn't have been a flag on that play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--KlLWNlao

I don't disagree with anything you just posted.  What I'm pointing out is that Wheaton continued to move in the same direction he was running when he made the catch, this doesn't allow for a clean break for anyone watching the play from his catching the ball to his getting hit.  Again, and I've said over the years I don't like this, that hit is going to get flagged about 9O% of the time in today's NFL.  I'll also restate that Gio turned upfield, which to an official is a clear indicated that he is in control and able to protect himself.  You're also ignoring the other points I made about why it wasn't flagged.  Again, it may not be right, correct or fair but it's today's NFL.  If the hits had occurred with the teams reversed in each instance the calls would remain the same.
Reply/Quote