Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
About the Joey Porter thing
(01-13-2016, 08:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Has nothing to do with "defenseless". The applicable rule is 'forcible contact with the crown of the helmet'. It's a rule that's in the book but rarely called.

If you break out the back window to the local liquor store to get your bottle of Mad Dog 20/20, instead of paying for it like you usually do--and you don't get caught--you've still broken the law.

It has a lot to do with being defenseless, otherwise it would have been called. 

And your analogy

[Image: qpmkn6.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 08:18 PM)Vlad Wrote: It has a lot to do with being defenseless, otherwise it would have been called. 

[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 08:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't disagree with anything you just posted.  What I'm pointing out is that Wheaton continued to move in the same direction he was running when he made the catch, this doesn't allow for a clean break for anyone watching the play from his catching the ball to his getting hit.  Again, and I've said over the years I don't like this, that hit is going to get flagged about 9O% of the time in today's NFL.  I'll also restate that Gio turned upfield, which to an official is a clear indicated that he is in control and able to protect himself.  You're also ignoring the other points I made about why it wasn't flagged.  Again, it may not be right, correct or fair but it's today's NFL.  If the hits had occurred with the teams reversed in each instance the calls would remain the same.

I agree that, if reversed, it's called the same way. There's no conspiracy here. I highlighted that part of your post because you felt Wheaton had not made a football move and was in a defenseless position. 3 steps + bracing for contact = a football move and in a defensive position. 

I don't want to keep debating whether Gio was in a defenseless position because that's not the applicable rule. Shazier dropped his head and made contact with the crown of his helmet. It's a completely different rule. I don't like the "defenseless rule" the way it is now because there's too much contact that's incidental or unavoidable and i don't think it's right that a defender is 100% responsible to not hit a receiver in the head or neck area. They can lower their target area and if a receiver drops down, there's going to be "illegal contact" every time. It's blatantly unfair and to the offenses benefit.

If the situation were reversed, i'd feel that the Steelers were on the wrong side of the flag twice. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 08:22 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote:

lol...lets see if we can dig up more obsolete smack.

How old are you? 6?
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 08:36 PM)Vlad Wrote: lol...lets see if we can dig up more obsolete smack.

How old are you? 6?

Oooo....flamed him.....you savage.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 08:18 PM)Vlad Wrote: It has a lot to do with being defenseless, otherwise it would have been called. 

And your analogy

[Image: qpmkn6.jpg]

1. You'd be right if every infraction during a football game were called. They're obviously not, so your point is moot and dismissed. 
2. Don't ever question my analogies. They are always 100% spot on and factual. Mad
3. That you're using a Bill Cosby meme is very telling, Steelers fan.  Hilarious

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 08:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 1. You'd be right if every infraction during a football game were called. They're obviously not, so your point is moot and dismissed. 
2. Don't ever question my analogies. They are always 100% spot on and factual. Mad
3. That you're using a Bill Cosby meme is very telling, Steelers fan.  Hilarious
I seem to recall the there was no flag for Vontaze voing at Bens legs yet he got fined.  How is that possible?  

Vlad has to be trollung.  No way he hasn't seen the rule posted here around 10 times.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 09:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I seem to recall the there was no flag for Vontaze voing at Bens legs yet he got fined.  How is that possible?  

Vlad has to be trollung.  No way he hasn't seen the rule posted here around 10 times.

Been at least 3 or 4 times (twice this season IIRC) that Ben has been hit late or low and there was no flag.  He's not Brady or Manning.   Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 09:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: Been at least 3 or 4 times (twice this season IIRC) that Ben has been hit late or low and there was no flag.  He's not Brady or Manning.   Cool

It was an allusion to the wasn't called couldn't have been illegal theory.  And nobody outside Pitt likes Ben so the refs allow it.LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 09:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I seem to recall the there was no flag for Vontaze voing at Bens legs yet he got fined.  How is that possible?  

Well, that's always been his "thing". Throwing out the most inane comment to get a reaction. 

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 01:49 AM)Vlad Wrote: Over the last day of post game debates we have thus far established that:

The burfict hit on Ben was not as squeaky clean as we all thought.
Shaziers hit was clean and within the rules.
The burfict hit on AB clearly illegal.
Coach Munchak did not intentionally grab the bungle players hair with the intent to pull it.
Peko is a wuss.

Time now to put into perspective Joey Porters terrible crime. Yes he did go onto the field, but he didn't start the trouble that ensued.

So the last thing we can establish is your team has no poise, and are a bunch of out of control cry babies, coached by a coach that lacks the ability to keep his band of misfits in control....and your bottle throwing fans are a reflection of your team.

This calamity on Sunday was 90% on the bengals, 10% Steelers.

Have you seen the clip from "Around the Horn"?  Even those nitwits were able to conclude that the Bengals got jobbed by the NFL "officials'.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 10:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Have you seen the clip from "Around the Horn"?  Even those nitwits were able to conclude that the Bengals got jobbed by the NFL "officials'.

Is that Irvin Sanders and Faulk? That kind of surprised me.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 08:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 1. You'd be right if every infraction during a football game were called. They're obviously not, so your point is moot and dismissed. 

Just waiting for that fine to come down on Shazier.  Should be any time now.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 10:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Have you seen the clip from "Around the Horn"?  Even those nitwits were able to conclude that the Bengals got jobbed by the NFL "officials'.

That's because they are nitwits.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 08:36 PM)Vlad Wrote: lol...lets see if we can dig up more obsolete smack.

How old are you? 6?

I'd rather be 6 than ********.  Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Just posting this because I had never noticed it before, but Burfict actually grabs Porter's jacket before Gilberry chest bumps him and Porter never says after initially turning to Burfict when the trainer pushed him away.

Interesting.

Reply/Quote
Where this whole video picks up, porter was already standing among the Bengal players. Who knows what had already been said by porter at that point.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 10:20 PM)Beaker Wrote: Where this whole video picks up, porter was already standing among the Bengal players. Who knows what had already been said by porter at that point.

Well there is an official right there.  So if he said anything out of line you'd think he would have heard it.

Even at that look how hard they try NOT to throw a flag on anyone.  ANYONE!  Then Jones comes in just goes enough over the line...`
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 10:13 PM)GMDino Wrote: Just posting this because I had never noticed it before, but Burfict actually grabs Porter's jacket before Gilberry chest bumps him and Porter never says after initially turning to Burfict when the trainer pushed him away.

Interesting.

Porter opened his mouth. At that point in the game, that was all that was needed to violate the rule. This video is proof that he was jawing the Bengals players. As for what was said, it is really almost irrelevant at this point in a volatile and emotionally charged game. He could have said' "Hi guys!", and even that would have been considered taunting the other players. The rule is in place to prevent situations like this... and there is Porter ignoring it to create the situation.

Personally, the game is history now. But I do think Porter needs some punishment for his role in creating the chaos. My understanding is that that would typically be a fine for coaches.

But even if that doesn't happen, the Steelers organization has shown the rest of the league the low moral character and decorum of their coaches. Which is interesting because their players generally played a clean game, outside of the controversial Shazier hit, IMO. Tomlin's message to the players, "Don't act like fools, we've got coaches to do that for you."
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 11:32 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I'd rather be 6 than ********.  Mellow

Because you hate being both.
Reply/Quote