Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acceptable language?
Saturday my son had a rugby match up in Tacoma and as we sat in the stands, there was a family yelling profanity left and right. I mean stuff like, "tackle that Mutha F'er"! Being from the military, I wasn't offended as most were. But when did this become acceptable in youth sports? Finally the 1 and only official came over and told them to knock it off or they would ejected from the stands, which drew a couple of more FUs....
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 12:21 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Saturday my son had a rugby match up in Tacoma and as we sat in the stands, there was a family yelling profanity left and right. I mean stuff like, "tackle that Mutha F'er"!  Being from the military, I wasn't offended as most were. But when did this become acceptable in youth sports? Finally the 1 and only official came over and told them to knock it off or they would ejected from the stands, which drew a couple of more FUs....

How many games have you been to and how many times have you encountered this?
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 03:08 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: How many games have you been to and how many times have you encountered this?

This was the first time we had played the team from Tacoma. I've been to about 6 games and nothing like has happened before,
Reply/Quote
Unacceptable behavior. Man, parents these days really don't give their kids a chance.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's not acceptable, in my opinion. Youth sports is and should be about the kids, not the adults trying to live vicariously through their children. I coached little league baseball and girls softball for a few years. At the end of the first practice for every team, I would meet with the parents only. I would let them know what sort of help and input that I would like from the parents, as well as address what sort of behavior was what I considered "over the line" at games. It seemed to work out well, as there were always a few other fathers that stepped up to reinforce the ideals.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 12:21 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Saturday my son had a rugby match up in Tacoma and as we sat in the stands, there was a family yelling profanity left and right. I mean stuff like, "tackle that Mutha F'er"!  Being from the military, I wasn't offended as most were. But when did this become acceptable in youth sports? Finally the 1 and only official came over and told them to knock it off or they would ejected from the stands, which drew a couple of more FUs....

I find it unacceptable in that situation and environment because of the mere fact that it set a terrible, and rather embarrassing, example for the children. To see adults acting in such a way is very unfortunate, and shows their lack of concern for the impression it leaves on the kids.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 03:44 PM)sandwedge Wrote: This was the first time we had played the team from Tacoma. I've been to about 6 games and nothing like has happened before,

One family out of all the families during six games seems like it is still unacceptable, but there is always the exception to the rule.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 05:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Unacceptable behavior. Man, parents these days really don't give their kids a chance.

I can remember when I was in kindergarten, my parents would send me back and forth between the trailer and the garage with profanity filled messages for each other.

It's not a generational thing.
Reply/Quote
I have no love lost for parents who think it their jobs to scream profanity from the stands at any time. Too bad there isn't some kind of governing body to kick those types out of every game regardless of the level of play from kindergarten up to the pros..  I suppose I'm still permitted to dream big, huh? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Parents always ruin youth sports.
Reply/Quote