Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
According to Pff
(10-29-2021, 11:18 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Oh, no, PFF did not confirm my biases, therefore they are worthless!!  

I cannot stand these posts.  Sorry to pick on you, the are worse posts downthread, but this has been bugging me for a while. 

Chase is ranked 4th out of, what, 150+ rookies? And you guys are mad? Ridiculous. As if you've watched every snap of Pitts or Humphrey. 

1st off, Chase has made some poor plays. He had a pass go through his hands for a pick.  Second, the first couple weeks, our offense struggled generally. Third, Herbert is a small sample size. Isiah Prince has graded out at like 90.  Does this mean PFF thinks Prince is one of the top tackles in the league? No. But it does mean he has performed really well in a limited role.   

Get a grip, peopl this on mye. 
I never said if I disagreed or agreed anywhere in my post, did I? I just saw my new ticker and thought I would share with the board. Talk about getting a grip.....
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 11:18 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Oh, no, PFF did not confirm my biases, therefore they are worthless!!  

I cannot stand these posts.  Sorry to pick on you, the are worse posts downthread, but this has been bugging me for a while. 

Chase is ranked 4th out of, what, 150+ rookies? And you guys are mad? Ridiculous. As if you've watched every snap of Pitts or Humphrey. 

1st off, Chase has made some poor plays. He had a pass go through his hands for a pick.  Second, the first couple weeks, our offense struggled generally. Third, Herbert is a small sample size. Isiah Prince has graded out at like 90.  Does this mean PFF thinks Prince is one of the top tackles in the league? No. But it does mean he has performed really well in a limited role.   

Get a grip, people. 

I think the only person upset in here is you lol. PFF grades aren’t very valuable, it’s pretty simple. You don’t have to watch every snap of a player to know who is performing better, that’s just silly. Pitts isn’t playing better than Chase this year. That is black and white. He is playing well, but not as well, and you can see this based off of the production.

That’s really all we are saying, or at least some of us.
Reply/Quote
It’s pretty much invalid to compare a tight end to a wide receiver on the basis of simple passing game metrics. They don’t have the same jobs, and their production doesn’t align even for the very best. The tight end position just doesn’t produce as many yards receiving.

If we’re to to say “Ja’Marr Chase is playing better than Kyle Pitts”, it must be on the basis of something much more solid than that. Is Chase better relative to his own position than Pitts is relative to his own position?

Yes, I think so. I don’t think it’s just some obvious, irrefutable thing though. Pitts is 3rd among TEs in yards and comfortably 1st in yards per catch. Chase is 2nd and 1st respectively among WRs. Chase gets the edge for me on the basis of impact, as his biggest plays have come at extremely opportune times.

But the dialogue in this thread has been really bad. That’s not sandwedge’s fault of course.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 12:10 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: It’s pretty much invalid to compare a tight end to a wide receiver on the basis of simple passing game metrics. They don’t have the same jobs, and their production doesn’t align even for the very best. The tight end position just doesn’t produce as many yards receiving.

If we’re to to say “Ja’Marr Chase is playing better than Kyle Pitts”, it must be on the basis of something much more solid than that. Is Chase better relative to his own position than Pitts is relative to his own position?

Yes, I think so. I don’t think it’s just some obvious, irrefutable thing though. Pitts is 3rd among TEs in yards and comfortably 1st in yards per catch. Chase is 2nd and 1st respectively among WRs. Chase gets the edge for me on the basis of impact, as his biggest plays have come at extremely opportune times.

But the dialogue in this thread has been really bad. That’s not sandwedge’s fault of course.

I don’t think it has to be that kind of thought exercise. You can just compare them on the position similarities IE. receiving. An elite TE is a better receiver than many receivers even if the average TE isn’t better than the average WR (I don’t actually know the metrics here, just speaking). You’re right, the best TE is usually not going to be better than the best WR. Tight ends just don’t produce the kind of value that a WR does, and that’s fine, but it is still a fair discussion.

At the end of the day, whether PFF intends for this to be the case or not, fans use grades to try to decipher who the best players are. The grades try to give objective information (like most analytical metrics) but are inherently subjective in their design. That’s why I don’t like them. Another example that would be more apples to apples is PFF grading Antonio Brown above Chase when it is pretty clear that Brown hasn’t had as good of a season as Chase. That’s not to say he is bad, but he hasn’t been better. Brown is ranked third, above guys like Chaee, Deebo Samuel, Tyreek Hill and numerous others that are all having objectively better seasons.
Reply/Quote
Quote:According to Pff.......

Credibility lost right there.

/ignores
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 11:18 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Oh, no, PFF did not confirm my biases, therefore they are worthless!!  

Get a grip, people. 

I sense misplaced outrage.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote