Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
According to agents, our front office sucks
(04-19-2018, 06:18 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Which other owner is going to fire himself?  All these guys are 'untouchable'.  <---  I take this back Nate.  There are non owners on that list.  Remainder of my statement below stands. 

The difference is everyone in the Bengals FO is 'untouchable' because they all share common deoxyribonucleic acid and/or are rubbing genitals with one another. 

Hey man, empty some space in your inbox please.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 02:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Do they operationally define what trustworthy means in regards to this poll?  My best guess is that it's hard to trust a guy like Mike Brown because he's completely untouchable so it's less about honor/honesty and more about him just being able to shrug things off and say "No deal" because he knows he's not going to fire himself if it was the wrong move.

That is a good questions Nate. I don't see a criteria in the article.

If we were to assume the premise that trust equals fulfilling a promise, then I could see a situation where, for example, Brown would balk at extending a contract that he had initially indicated an inclination in doing so. But players and agents do the same when given the opportunity.

As in any business, only a signed, written contract is the final word. Besides, they do know that Brown is a trained attorney, right? 

Ultimately, there is no honor among thieves. This is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.  
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 05:25 PM)depthchart Wrote: You said it was the Alford Plea in post #34.

You said in that same post that Mike stated that Mixon  "pleaded guilty in court".

Then you said that was a LIE and based calling it a lie on the Alford plea not being a guilty plea.

It is actually also called the Alford Guilty Plea.

Alford plea = "a GUILTY plea whereby a defendant in a criminal case does not admit to the criminal act and asserts innocence.

Read your own words in post #34.

Ever the Mike Brown apologist.

A guilty plea means you formally admit you committed the crime for which you are accused.

While an Alford plea is an admission the court has enough evidence to convict, but you don't admit you committed a criminal act while you maintain your innocence.

As you see, there is a bit of a difference between a guilty plea and an Alford plea.  If they were the same then there wouldn't be a need to have a Alford plea and a guilty plea.  Because if they were the same then we would have a guilty plea and a guilty plea. It would just be silly to have a guilty plea and another guilty plea.

So Mike Brown's intent was to deliberately mislead his fan base into thinking Mixon admitted he committed the criminal act and wasn't innocent unlike his actual Alford plea by omitting information IOT put a positive PR spin on another questionable decision.  Or Mike Brown is misinformed lawyer who doesn't know the distinction between the two pleas and doesn't do his homework on his draft picks beforehand instead of a GM in obvious damage control mode.

So he is either a liar or stupid.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 06:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: An "Alford Plea" is a guilty plea.  Mixon was placed on probation, had to get counselling, paid costs, and performed 100 hours community service.

So Mike Brown was 100% correct when he said Mixon pleaded guilty and accepted the consequences.

What's the difference between an Alford plea and a guilty plea?
Reply/Quote
"An Alford Plea is a guilty plea of a defendant who proclaims he is innocent of the crime, and admits that the prosecution has enough evidence to prove that he is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt."

Not a whole lot of difference between it and a plea bargain arrangement where defendants plea guilty even when innocent to avoid more jail time .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
So the teams who overpay are at the top of the list...... I’m shocked lol.

Agents shouldn’t like Your team, it just means they love winning against them, then we are stuck with terrible contracts.
Reply/Quote
In other breaking news, water is wet and homers gonna home.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 07:11 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So the teams who overpay are at the top of the list...... I’m shocked lol.  

Agents shouldn’t like Your team, it just means they love winning against them, then we are stuck with terrible contracts.

get your countin' machine out and add up the number of super bowl wins on the top of that list in the last 20 years.  add the number of playoff wins in the last 20 years on the "top of that list".  then divide by the number of playoff wins conjured up by mikey in the last 20 years.

your answer is going to be an error.  don't be shocked lol.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 12:24 PM)grampahol Wrote: "The Ben-Gals, who once generously granted a three-pound “leniency weight,” now say that “fitness is very important. You must be in good physical condition and proportioned for your height.” Whatever that means."  

that means not too tall with a flat chest and bubble butt
That means not too short where you can't tell where her butt is, you know it goes straight from back to legs and a chest so big, it interferes with play on the field, players running into the boobs, or the girl gets excited, jumps up and down proceeding to knock herself out knicker knocker style.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 06:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hey man, empty some space in your inbox please.

thats what she said.
Reply/Quote
Hard to argue with our FO sucking over the years and will just concede the fact and not waste time debating.

Yet am very pleased with moves made this offseason.

Did a complete about-face from business as usual for Bengals off seasons approach, and I like it.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 06:44 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Ever the Mike Brown apologist.

A guilty plea means you formally admit you committed the crime for which you are accused.

While an Alford plea is an admission the court has enough evidence to convict, but you don't admit you committed a criminal act while you maintain your innocence.

As you see, there is a bit of a difference between a guilty plea and an Alford plea.  If they were the same then there wouldn't be a need to have a Alford plea and a guilty plea.  Because if they were the same then we would have a guilty plea and a guilty plea. It would just be silly to have a guilty plea and another guilty plea.

So Mike Brown's intent was to deliberately mislead his fan base into thinking Mixon admitted he committed the criminal act and wasn't innocent unlike his actual Alford plea by omitting information IOT put a positive PR spin on another questionable decision.  Or Mike Brown is misinformed lawyer who doesn't know the distinction between the two pleas and doesn't do his homework on his draft picks beforehand instead of a GM in obvious damage control mode.

So he is either a liar or stupid.

The Alford plea falls under the Umbrella of a Guilty plea and is actually also known as the "Alford Guilty Plea".

As you said in a post earlier, Mixon acknowledged the video evidence of him punching the woman was enough to result in his conviction.

Everyone on the Planet knew he did it and as I said earlier, this plea is legal mumbo jumbo that allows Mixon to acknowledge that the Court has him by the nads and the video evidence will lead to a conviction should the trial go forward. Mixon joins the crowd and acknowledges that the video evidence will result in his conviction and is allowed to do so via the Alford plea which is a GUILTY plea whereby a defendant in a criminal case does not admit to the criminal act and asserts innocence.

That defendant does and did, however, admit that the video evidence would have led to him being found GUILTY, thus the reason why the Alford plea falls under the Guilty plea umbrella.

Mr Brown was right when he said that Mixon pleaded Guilty.  Mixon did so via the Alford Guilty plea.

Now you need to Apologize to Mike Brown.

Come on now, "apologize" to Mike.

Apologiiiiiiiiiiiize....   :heart:
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 12:24 PM)grampahol Wrote: The Bengals also made it into the article below about cheerleaders..

"The Ben-Gals, who once generously granted a three-pound “leniency weight,” now say that “fitness is very important. You must be in good physical condition and proportioned for your height.” Whatever that means."  

Seems like USA Today doesn't really like our team . I'm cancelling my non-existent subscription right now!  I never thought it would come to this..

Oh fer cryin' out loud, anyone with 1 eye can see that the Bengals make it possible for overweight ugly girls to cheer in the NFL..... Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 10:26 AM)depthchart Wrote: The Alford plea falls under the Umbrella of a Guilty plea and is actually also known as the "Alford Guilty Plea".

As you said in a post earlier, Mixon acknowledged the video evidence of him punching the woman was enough to result in his conviction.

Everyone on the Planet knew he did it and as I said earlier, this plea is legal mumbo jumbo that allows Mixon to acknowledge that the Court has him by the nads and the video evidence will lead to a conviction should the trial go forward. Mixon joins the crowd and acknowledges that the video evidence will result in his conviction and is allowed to do so via the Alford plea which is a GUILTY plea whereby a defendant in a criminal case does not admit to the criminal act and asserts innocence.

That defendant does and did, however, admit that the video evidence would have led to him being found GUILTY, thus the reason why the Alford plea falls under the Guilty plea umbrella.

Mr Brown was right when he said that Mixon pleaded Guilty.  Mixon did so via the Alford Guilty plea.

Now you need to Apologize to Mike Brown.

Come on now, "apologize" to Mike.

Apologiiiiiiiiiiiize....   :heart:

A guilty plea is a "yeah, I did it" plea.

An Alford plea is a "no, I didn't do it, but you got me on tape doing it" plea. It's the Shaggy "It Wasn't Me" of plea deals.

It's like my wife asking me, "Did you go to the Cheetah strip club last night."

"No, I didn't go to the Cheetah Club last night."

Because I went to Tattletales instead. What I told her is 100% correct,but it isn't honest, either
Reply/Quote
So which is it? On one hand we have the front office being labeled as untrustworthy, and on the other hand we have the front office criticized for honoring the contracts of players who clearly should be cut. Something isnt adding up. I'll admit that im not crazy how they kind of run it like MomNPop Shop, and mostly keep it in the family with the exception of Duke Tobin. I wouldnt mind seeing them actually staff a GM and not keep the title to the man who owns the team.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 01:23 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: A guilty plea is a "yeah, I did it" plea.

An Alford plea is a "no, I didn't do it, but you got me on tape doing it" plea.  It's the Shaggy "It Wasn't Me" of plea deals.

It's like my wife asking me, "Did you go to the Cheetah strip club last night."

"No, I didn't go to the Cheetah Club last night."

Because I went to Tattletales instead. What I told her is 100% correct,but it isn't honest, either

I see it more like this.

Mixon is admitting that he is going to lose the case and be convicted based on the overwhelming video evidence.

He is admitting that should the case continue, he will lose.

For whatever reason, the Court cuts him a deal where he admits that the evidence will lead to his conviction (the Guilty aspect of the Alford plea) then he is also allowed to not admit that he did the actual act that he just admitted there was enough evidence to that he would lose should the case go forward and he also gets to assert his innocence since the case did not proceed to it's ultimate conclusion of him losing.

Ridiculous, politician style BS of a ruling in my opinion but the Legal system allows for this type of deal.

You may want to focus on some of your other Anti-Mike issues more so than this one because even the very definition of the Alford plea calls it a Guilty plea. There are nuances to it but it is more of a "I know you did it",  "we know you did it",  "the video shows you did it",  "witnesses watched you do it" and "Mixon admits that he is going to lose the case based on the evidence" so Mixon knows he did it.

Yet we all get to allow Mixon to legally pretend that he could still be innocent even though we all know he isn't.

Having venom towards Mike over this issue doesn't shake out that well for you. Mike seems to ultimately have you on this issue.

Some of your other Anti Mike issues may offer you a better chance to gain some traction.      Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 06:47 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What's the difference between an Alford plea and a guilty plea?

That is like asking the difference between a beagle and a dog.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 02:20 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: So which is it? On one hand we have the front office being labeled as untrustworthy, and on the other hand we have the front office criticized for honoring the contracts of players who clearly should be cut. Something isnt adding up. I'll admit that im not crazy how they kind of run it like MomNPop Shop, and mostly keep it in the family with the exception of Duke Tobin. I wouldnt mind seeing them actually staff a GM and not keep the title to the man who owns the team.

Think about when Warren Sapp said the Bengals "played with the numbers" after they'd agreed to a deal. Maybe stuff like that goes on more than we know? Who knows? I don't see why agents would lie in an anonymous survey though. I also doubt it's that the Bengals are "winning" so many deals. If that were the case, wouldn't it translate to the field? 

The thing that worried me the most was being voted "the most unprepared for contract negotiations". That's supposed to be Katie's job. The one we're hoping will be different.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is like asking the difference between a beagle and a dog.

It's more like you buying a beagle from me and when you show I try to give you a chihuahua instead. They're both dogs so what's the difference?
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 10:23 AM)wcu Wrote: USA Today did a poll of NFL agents asking them to rate clubs on various subjects. They rated the Bengals as the worst prepared team for contract negotiations and Mike Brown as the 4th least trustworthy GM. Pretty sad, though not entirely surprising.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/04/19/nfl-agent-poll-bruce-allen-redskins-bill-belichick-demaurice-smith/528741002/

Better than being a sucker I guess. Oh wait that's us.
Reply/Quote