Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Active QB's with a Super Bowl Win
With Brady and Big Ben retiring this year, that is 9 Super Bowl wins riding off into the sunset. With Brees & the Mannings recent retirements, that was another 5.

So who is left?

1) Mahomes. 26. 1 win (2020). 1 loss (2021).
2) Wilson. 33. 1 win (2014). 1 loss (2015).
3) Rodgers. 38. 1 win (2011).
4) Foles. 33. 1 win (2018). Backup with Bears.
5) Flacco. 37. 1 win (2013). Backup QB with the Jets.

Only 5 still active. Only 3 are still starters (Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers). Rodgers could retire. Wilson could change teams. Burrow just beat Mahomes (twice).

Stafford is 33.

The winning QB in this game is gonna be on the Mt. Rushmore of active QBs.

Burrow has 3 years left on his rookie deal, and we have oodles of cap space. Lookout.
Reply/Quote
Wow. Brady retiring has a large impact on this list. Big Ben retiring has an impact as well.
Brady dominated this list. In the future will we see an even distribution amongst QBs as far as Super Bowl wins, or will one or two QBs dominate the list?

The super bowl winning QBs are all older with the exception of Mahomes. A good amount of the QBs on this list won when they were young, and haven't been able to get back to win another because of their team falling apart. That goes to show you that you need to take advantage of the opportunity when it's there.

Of course Brady took advantage throughout his career--winning when he was young and old. Let's hope Burrow can have similar success.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 08:28 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Wow. Brady retiring has a large impact on this list. Big Ben retiring has an impact as well.
Brady dominated this list. In the future will we see an even distribution amongst QBs as far as Super Bowl wins, or will one or two QBs dominate the list?

The super bowl winning QBs are all older with the exception of Mahomes. A good amount of the QBs on this list won when they were young, and haven't been able to get back to win another because of their team falling apart. That goes to show you that you need to take advantage of the opportunity when it's there.

Of course Brady took advantage throughout his career--winning when he was young and old. Let's hope Burrow can have similar success.

I'd be pretty surprised to see another QB do what Brady did.  Not just because Brady was amazing at the position, but it's just so hard financially for teams to put together and keep solid teams.  Some of these younger QBs could go on a run, but there are already so many questions about what the Chiefs will look like next year.  It's just hard to keep at the top of the mountain when you're dealing with the cap.  I think the Bengals now have a good 3-4 years ahead of them, but it'll be just as hard for them to maintain as well, and I think they'll be swinging back and forth a bit once these rookie contracts are up.  If everyone is playing well, they're going to want to get paid and eventually it becomes a game of trade-offs.  The QB can certainly elevate the team around them to a point, but it's a tough road to win SBs without the supporting cast. 
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 08:35 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I'd be pretty surprised to see another QB do what Brady did.  Not just because Brady was amazing at the position, but it's just so hard financially for teams to put together and keep solid teams.  Some of these younger QBs could go on a run, but there are already so many questions about what the Chiefs will look like next year.  It's just hard to keep at the top of the mountain when you're dealing with the cap.  I think the Bengals now have a good 3-4 years ahead of them, but it'll be just as hard for them to maintain as well, and I think they'll be swinging back and forth a bit once these rookie contracts are up.  If everyone is playing well, they're going to want to get paid and eventually it becomes a game of trade-offs.  The QB can certainly elevate the team around them to a point, but it's a tough road to win SBs without the supporting cast. 

I definitely agree. The window is now. The salary cap makes it tough in the future. 

The Chiefs have done well the past 4 years. But when you really think about it, they could have done better. In their 4 year window they only achieved 1 Super Bowl win and 2 AFC championships. I'm not saying their window is closed, but it will be difficult to keep the team together going forward.

The Packers really messed up by not even getting an NFC championship the last 3 years. I really think if they added one more WR it could have helped. The injuries to their left tackle in the playoffs didn't help matters. But Rodgers should have stepped up to the challenge a la Brady.

The Patriots showed you how much coaching matters. Their prime window was when Brady was young. Their roster was dominant and they got a couple Super Bowls. They missed out on a couple here and there. But they also stole some Super Bowls when they were the lesser team talent-wise because of superior QB play and coaching. Having a great QB, coach, defense and kicker is a great combo. Something I think we're replicating.

The thing we have going for us is our youth/high end talent and the rookie contracts. It'd be great to see us take advantage of the opportunities in front of us. You look at teams like the Rams or Tampa and they are built for two years. That's a small window. We definitely have a 3-4 year window but it could be stretched further if we are flawless with the moves we make (and the coaching is good enough). 

The Rams actually had a bigger window but Goff kind of screwed it up for them by not being good enough. You could say the same for the 9ers and Jimmy G. Having the right QB is big. 

I'd love to see the Bengals steal this Super Bowl from the Rams. This is the Rams best shot at it. If they don't win now I don't think they ever will because it's our time. I see us winning the Super Bowl next year if we stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
The thing that always stands out on a list like that is Rodgers has only been to one Super Bowl. I’m hopeful for the future of the Bengals but damn it’s tough getting there consistently.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
This is quite literally a mind blowing stat. Kudos
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 12:49 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The thing that always stands out on a list like that is Rodgers has only been to one Super Bowl. I’m hopeful for the future of the Bengals but damn it’s tough getting there consistently.

Dan Marino is a great example of this. Widely considered one of the best QBs of his time, he only made it to one Super Bowl which was a loss to San Francisco. He did that in his 2nd season in the league while setting multiple passing records. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 08:35 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I'd be pretty surprised to see another QB do what Brady did.  Not just because Brady was amazing at the position, but it's just so hard financially for teams to put together and keep solid teams.  Some of these younger QBs could go on a run, but there are already so many questions about what the Chiefs will look like next year.  It's just hard to keep at the top of the mountain when you're dealing with the cap.  I think the Bengals now have a good 3-4 years ahead of them, but it'll be just as hard for them to maintain as well, and I think they'll be swinging back and forth a bit once these rookie contracts are up.  If everyone is playing well, they're going to want to get paid and eventually it becomes a game of trade-offs.  The QB can certainly elevate the team around them to a point, but it's a tough road to win SBs without the supporting cast. 

Brady will probably have the record for SB wins simply because as the playoffs continue to expand, it's harder and harder to put together a dynasty.  For the vast majority of Brady's career, the top two teams in each conference got a 1st round bye.  The Pats got one of those byes most every year and it's a lot easier to win three straight games with the first one coming after a bye week than four straight with no bye week.  With a weak division like the AFCE, it's relatively easy to ensure a HoF QB/HC combo can get you one of the top two seeds compared to having to get #1.  
Reply/Quote