Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Activist Bullies: At it Again..
Too bad they didn't try to pull a stunt like that in a place like Malaysia, where they likely would have received a public caning.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/climate-activists-smear-red-paint-on-monet-artwork-at-stockholm-museum/ar-AA1czi3u?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=04c5c381bca746c6bc0eb2e71d57a94d&ei=35

Quote:June 15 (UPI) -- Two climate activists smeared red paint on a Monet painting Wednesday at Stockholm National Museum before gluing their hands to the artwork's protective glass and shouting at onlookers.

A video released by the organization Aterstall Vatmarker, which means Restore Wetlands, showed a nurse and nursing student smearing paint on The Artist's Garden in Giverny, by French impressionist Claude Monet.

The activists shouted "the climate situation is acute" and "our health is threatened."

"The situation is urgent. As a nurse, I refuse to watch," one of the women, named Emma, said. "The pandemic was nothing compared to the climate collapse. It's about life or death."

"People won't just die from heat stroke. New diseases will spread, and we cannot even imagine the extent of this," she added.

Related video: Climate protesters smear paint on 123-year-old Monet artwork (Dailymotion)

Police arrested the women for "aggravated vandalism."

"It is unclear whether more people than the two arrested are involved in the incident, but a number of people have been checked and the police will, among other things, review the course of events with the help of the museum's surveillance cameras," the Stockholm Region police said in a statement.

Helen Wahlgren, a spokesperson for Restore Wetlands, said the activists were trying to pressure the Swedish government to cut greenhouse gas emissions.

"We should lower our emissions by 31%. But our emissions are still increasing," she said, adding that the "gorgeous gardens like those in Monet's painting will soon be a distant memory."

The painting, which was completed in 1900 and was encased in glass, is currently being examined to determine if there was any damage, according to the museum.

This is not the first time a painting has been attacked by climate activists. In October, two activists threw tomato soup on a Vincent Van Gogh painting in London. They pleaded not guilty to criminal charges for damaging the artwork's frame.

"We distance ourselves from actions where art or cultural heritage are put at risk of damage," Per Hedström, the National Museum's acting director general, said Wednesday.

"Cultural heritage has great symbolic value, and it is unacceptable to attack or destroy it, for any purpose whatsoever."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure what they think they will accomplish. Nothing will change because of their actions. I didn't know we were facing death by heatstroke anymore than we do now.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I don’t know that I would call a pipsqueaks outburst because of their desire to protect humanity an “activist bully”.

I see a scared little mortal freaking out because she understands the reality of the situation.
Reply/Quote
2 things.

1 - I don't understand why folks think they have to destroy irreplaceable art work to get their point across. I imagine they think it'll make headlines - except most folks don't give a shit about their museums anymore. The brain drain is real.

2 - I've never understood why these paintings and pieces of art and history aren't behind plexiglass or some other protective material from the general population; and I say this as someone who enjoys going to museums. I get it'll **** with pictures, but honestly I don't give a shit about your momento. I do give a shit about people destroying our history.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2023, 08:29 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: 2 things.

1 - I don't understand why folks think they have to destroy irreplaceable art work to get their point across. I imagine they think it'll make headlines - except most folks don't give a shit about their museums anymore. The brain drain is real.

2 - I've never understood why these paintings and pieces of art and history aren't behind plexiglass or some other protective material from the general population; and I say this as someone who enjoys going to museums. I get it'll **** with pictures, but honestly I don't give a shit about your momento. I do give a shit about people destroying our history.

most of the art in museums is behind glass.  This particular Monet was protected

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 02:42 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm not sure what they think they will accomplish.  Nothing will change because of their actions.  I didn't know we were facing death by heatstroke anymore than we do now.

This has been happening for about 6 months now.....

Sad thing is if these climate activists stopped and paid attention to whats actually happening they would realize they have already won before they started protesting lol. The world energy leaders already voted and put 100 billion dollars worldwide to get the worlds coal energy dependence from 85% of the worlds energy down below 10% by 2030 back in summer of 2022. Coal is the leading cause of Carbon Monoxide in the atmosphere. They have been pushing EV for a while now... even though FCEV is probably better lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2023, 10:05 AM)Synric Wrote: This has been happening for about 6 months now.....

Sad thing is if these climate activists stopped and paid attention to whats actually happening they would realize they have already won before they started protesting lol. The world energy leaders already voted and put 100 billion dollars worldwide to get the worlds coal energy dependence  from 85% of the worlds energy down below 10% by 2030 back in summer of 2022. Coal is the leading cause of Carbon Monoxide in the atmosphere. They have been pushing EV for a while now... even though FCEV is probably better lol.

The other problem is, in destroying art they are probably alienating people already on their side.

But I doubt if Trump or his various Interior and Energy secretaries would have cared if ALL of Monet and Van Gaugh's work was destroyed.
Reply/Quote