Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actually, it may be Zampeze
(10-30-2016, 10:20 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Our D is declining badly, it seems most if not all of the higher draft picks in recent years are not developing into better or even equal to the talent level of players we lose via FA, Injury's etc. To make things worse our Offense seems to be in the same situation. Throw in the piss poor play calling from both OC and DC cords, a very conservative HC, undisciplined players, and the occasional sodomising by the officials and you get the shit show we have now. Who-Dey!

So far this season I have seen 4 balls that I'm pretty sure Nelson would have intercepted....
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 12:53 AM)JumboTron Wrote: I think we can all agree that PA went rogue years ago and no one can reign him in.  He's like a piano playing, horse tooth Godzilla destroying everything in its path.

LMAO.....all jokes aside, he has been here longer than ANYONE not named Mike Brown.  He is the assistant HC, so I honestly wonder just how subordinate he would be to a 1st year OC.  We have to remember this organization doesn't exactly function like most teams do.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 09:52 PM)samhain Wrote: I don't know.  If anyone gets a pass it should probably be Zampese.  I dislike the internal hire as much as anyone.  That said, it does tend to take time for an offense to grasp the system of a new coordinator.  I'm not sure just how different Zampese's scheme's are from Jackson's, but I wouldn't be shocked if things all came together for the offense later in the year when Eifert is rolling and Boyd and laFell are fully assimilated.  All of these pieces seem to be good players, there's just something lacking.  

It's obvious to say the blocking stinks, b/c many times it does, but I have more hope for the offense coming together than the defense.  The offense has at least shown flashes of being really good.  They just haven't been consistent.

Now that Alexander (or Lewis, Zamp...whoever made the call) has made the adjustment on the right side of the line to limit Og's exposure our most glaring personnel issue on offense is patched up for now.

Eifert back in has straight away helped the red zone offense. 

Have to assume LaFell and Boyd will get more and more comfortable.  I can actually see Green's production dipping a bit in the second half but that may not be a bad thing if it means we spread ball around.

Still worried about the consistency of the running game but basically Zamp should have the best personnel for the second half.

Plus he's got the bye to maybe make some tweaks and a easier schedule.  Hopefully the rest of the season continues more in the vein of the last 2 games offensively and Zamp starts to put more of his own stamp on things (not sure what the identity of the offense is going to be under Zamp, for now its just been get it to AJ) ...
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 09:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As I'm sitting here, watching the Eagles OL getting destroyed, man on man, by the Cowboys DL, yet they continue to move the ball down the field...

Bengals offense....5th in league
Eagles offense....28th in league

Maybe it isn't Zampese.  Maybe it is a Bengal fan who just blindly hates everything about the Bengals.

Bengals are still struggling with turning yards into points, but our offense is not the big problem right now.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 10:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Zampeze just isn't an NFL level OC

And this is without a doubt the worst coaching staff in the NFL

I don't know exactly which team has the worst coaching staff in the league, but I know which Bengal fan is the biggest drama queen in the league.

:andy:
Reply/Quote
We're 6th in offensive DVOA right now, which is pretty solid:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
What are we still ranked 28th in the red zone? Play calling may not be all of it, but its a majority of the reason why we are ranked that low.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 10:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Zampeze just isn't an NFL level OC

And this is without a doubt the worst coaching staff in the NFL

Worst staff in the league?  Seriously.

The staff has declined, and it's time for a change, but it's nowhere near the worst in the league.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 01:57 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Worst staff in the league?  Seriously.

The staff has declined, and it's time for a change, but it's nowhere near the worst in the league.

Careful Hammer.  People will be accusing you of nominating Marvin for the Hall of Fame if you dare disagree with comments like this.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 01:54 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: What are we still ranked 28th in the red zone? Play calling may not be all of it, but its a majority of the reason why we are ranked that low.

Wrong.  Play calling is not a majority of the problem.  Earlier in the year it was because we could not run the ball inshort yardage situations.

I remember how many people were ripping Zampese for not calling a fade to Green in the red zone, but as soon as he did and it did not work then Zampese was stupid for calling for a fade to Green in the red zone.

Dalton just walked into the endzone on a brilliant call yet no one is giving Zampese any credit for that.
Reply/Quote
People need to chill on Zamp.

Offense has improved every week. People aren't talking about how Bodine is pulling his weight.

Eifert is back. Offensively, we're fine. We just need Guenther to get the D right to be a contender again really.

Next year, our offense will make strides if Tyler Boyd improves in the slot and we retain Lafell.

And we got Cody Core waiting in the wings too. We're going to be lethal next year.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 02:37 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: People need to chill on Zamp.

Offense has improved every week. People aren't talking about how Bodine is pulling his weight.

Eifert is back. Offensively, we're fine. We just need Guenther to get the D right to be a contender again really.

Next year, our offense will make strides if Tyler Boyd improves in the slot and we retain Lafell.

And we got Cody Core waiting in the wings too. We're going to be lethal next year.

I broadly agree but I'm still a bit wary of the consistency of our running game. 

For a lot of the first half of the season it was really not very good and the yard/per was not good enough. 

If you look at it in summary now our running yard and average looks fine, but you have to allow for the Browns game where J Hill went off on only 9 carries. 

If we can avoid getting behind and keep it simple running behind Boling , Zeitler when they are pulling then we'll really be rolling. 

I do have an unfounded worry that maybe Zamp will have a tendency to get away from the run given his background. Thus far we have been behind a lot so its hard to second guess but I'll be interested to see in the second half in potentially closer games what the pass/run balance goes at under him.

The good thing on offense was that even when it was not looking so hot earlier in the year , from a personnel perspective there was a very clear weakness with Og at RT.  We  made an adjustment for the last couple of games and whilst no-one is mistaking Winston/Og for Big Willie it's a least stemmed the tide - for now.

Compare that to the D personnel where we seem to be springing leaks at all levels with multiple players playing below what was expected and that appears a lot tougher fix
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 01:57 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Worst staff in the league?  Seriously.

Yeah....even as down as I am on this staff.....I wouldn't go that far.  They are stale here at best though....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 02:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong.  Play calling is not a majority of the problem.  Earlier in the year it was because we could not run the ball inshort yardage situations.

I remember how many people were ripping Zampese for not calling a fade to Green in the red zone, but as soon as he did and it did not work then Zampese was stupid for calling for a fade to Green in the red zone.

Dalton just walked into the endzone on a brilliant call yet no one is giving Zampese any credit for that.

This year, due to pressure, Andy is facing less time to let the play develop, and its part of the job of the person calling plays to help mitigate that. With the short field in the red zone, you need to open the play book and call better plays to get the ball in the end zone. We couldn't run, and we couldn't pass block, its someones job to figure out a way to mitigate those weaknesses and get the offense to score points? So if its not Ken's job, is it on Piano Man, James Urban, or Kyle Caskey?

Just how when teams that have a terrible run game, utilize the short pass/screens to compensate.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 04:08 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: This year, due to pressure, Andy is facing less time to let the play develop, and its part of the job of the person calling plays to help mitigate that. With the short field in the red zone, you need to open the play book and call better plays to get the ball in the end zone. We couldn't run, and we couldn't pass block, its someones job to figure out a way to mitigate those weaknesses and get the offense to score points? So if its not Ken's job, is it on Piano Man, James Urban, or Kyle Caskey?

Just how when teams that have a terrible run game, utilize the short pass/screens to compensate.

Bengals scored a td every time they were in the red zone Sunday.

So the credit goes to zampese, right?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 04:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals scored a td every time they were in the red zone Sunday.

So the credit goes to zampese, right?

Never said it didn't. Where has that been all year then?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 01:54 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: What are we still ranked 28th in the red zone? 

18th in td percentage.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 02:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong.  Play calling is not a majority of the problem.  Earlier in the year it was because we could not run the ball inshort yardage situations.

To be honest that was not so much Zampese's call as it was Andy selling the fake so well everyone in the stadium was fooled 
Reply/Quote

I tend to agree, there are worse teams with worse records out there... But we haven't been exactly "out-coaching" anyone this year either. Who would you say is worse?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 06:39 PM)Joelist Wrote: To be honest that was not so much Zampese's call as it was Andy selling the fake so well everyone in the stadium was fooled 

Yes, even on a off day, Andy still did some really good things.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote