Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Jones contract - team option for 2018
I was sitting here thinking of what position(s) would be highest priority in next year's draft if Ogbuehi and Fisher both progress well enough this season and Eifert, Burfict, and/or Minter re-sign. It made me think about CB and the fact that with Dennard's option, he's now signed through 2018. So then I went back and looked at Adam Jones's contract...

Adam Jones has a team option for 2018, which would be for near $7 million. The Bengals could be preparing to cut ties with him after this season since they already decided to pick up Dennard's option of ~$8.5 million. I don't think the Bengals would be willing to pay out $9.6 million to DK, $8.5 million to Dennard, and also almost $7 million to Jones. That'd total just about $25 million, which would be way too much tied into three CBs of their caliber.

Therefore, I believe the Bengals will keep Jones this year as insurance while Dennard and WJ3 develop but will not pick up his option, sending him to FA after this year.

Do you foresee this happening or do you think the option will be picked up?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lets be honest here, he has lost a step and the off field issues are getting old.

No reason to even be on this team, I may be wrong but I think K Russell will hold his own and fill the spot of #24 if given the opportunity this year.

Not to mention the whole financial side, would love to put Pac Mans money elsewhere to an area of need like Eiferts contract for next year!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 03:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was sitting here thinking of what position(s) would be highest priority in next year's draft if Ogbuehi and Fisher both progress well enough this season and Eifert, Burfict, and/or Minter re-sign. It made me think about CB and the fact that with Dennard's option, he's now signed through 2018. So then I went back and looked at Adam Jones's contract...

Adam Jones has a team option for 2018, which would be for near $7 million. The Bengals could be preparing to cut ties with him after this season since they already decided to pick up Dennard's option of ~$8.5 million. I don't think the Bengals would be willing to pay out $9.6 million to DK, $8.5 million to Dennard, and also almost $7 million to Jones. That'd total just about $25 million, which would be way too much tied into three CBs of their caliber.

Therefore, I believe the Bengals will keep Jones this year as insurance while Dennard and WJ3 develop but will not pick up his option, sending him to FA after this year.

I believe the Bengals can still get out of Dennards option if he doesn't turn heads this season...

Heres hoping hes a late bloomer like Dre.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 03:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was sitting here thinking of what position(s) would be highest priority in next year's draft if Ogbuehi and Fisher both progress well enough this season and Eifert, Burfict, and/or Minter re-sign. It made me think about CB and the fact that with Dennard's option, he's now signed through 2018. So then I went back and looked at Adam Jones's contract...

I kinda agree that they will move on from Jones after this year.  If it were up to me, I would cut him today or at the worst wait until training camp, and if the other guys showed enough, cut him.  Maybe that's what they're thinking too.  It might be ok for MB to not cut him based on his latest incident, because of his family,  but it's debatable that Jones can show restraint in a tense situation once the season starts, based on the last two years.  Seeing how we have a glut of corners, although, only two of them are proven (Dre and Shaw), and none of those two plays Jones' position, I would think that between WJ III, Dennard, Russell and Benwikere, some combination of those four can make up for whatever Jones can still do.  I guess it makes sense to wait until they see these guys before they decide whether they want to keep Jones this year or next year.  Or maybe it makes sense to keep Jones and have 7 corners on the roster for overall depth at the position.  
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 03:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote:
I believe the Bengals can still get out of Dennards option if he doesn't turn heads this season...

Heres hoping hes a late bloomer like Dre.

You're right, they could. According to SI.com...
Quote:The salaries are typically guaranteed for injury only and is effective until the first day of the 2018 league year, at which point the option money on the contract will become fully guaranteed.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/02/fifth-year-option-tracker
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Pac Man will be 34 by the start of this season, then 35 by the start of the 2018 season.

If William Jackson III shows promise plus Keivarae Russell then 2017 is our last go round with Pac Man.
Any type of injury to Pac Man this year would also hurt his chances of the team paying the option in 2018.
Say he misses 3 or 4 games with injury allowing others more playing time to blossom and lowering his market value.

Only risk may be the team does not pick up his option, then Pac Man tests the market and then the Bengals are the highest bidder resigning him without optioning.

Short of that, I think 2017 is his last stint here.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 03:52 PM)corpjet Wrote: Lets be honest here, he has lost a step and the off field issues are getting old.

No reason to even be on this team, I may be wrong but I think K Russell will hold his own and fill the spot of #24 if given the opportunity this year.

Not to mention the whole financial side, would love to put Pac Mans money elsewhere to an area of need like Eiferts contract for next year!

I hope you're wrong.  If Jackson isn't playing in front of Russell, we've got problems.
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't shock me if he gets cut in final cuts this year if the other corners don't get injured.
Reply/Quote
A Jones had a few bad games at the start of the year last year but he has not lost a step. If he did lose a step the other teams would target him over and over until we yanked him off the field. When you are on the outside like he is you are exposed you can not hide the fact your guy has lost a step. Do you think the refs are letting A Jones hold people all the way down the field without flagging him? No why because he plays for the Bengals. His few bad games last year was mental not because he lost a step.

William Jackson, Dre K, Dennard and Shaw are all solid in my book. I liked Dre K when a lot of posters was calling him a bust when all he needed was reps like Dennard now. These other two guys you are talking about I have not seen anything out of them in a Bengals uni to warrant letting A Jones go. Don't release players without having a solid backup for the guy in place you as Bengals fans should know this. The Bengals like to keep 5 solid guys at least because of the injury issue at CB that can hit a team fast and hard.

Green was a CB until he was 40 as long as you don't lose a step and stay healthy you can play this spot for a long time he proved that. A Jones is in shape every year that has never been in question. He will lose a step at some point but it was not last year and we will have to wait to see what the future holds for him as far as that goes. A Jones is a competitive guy he will not struggle to hold on like Leon did. When he truly loses a step and he knows it in his heart he will pull himself off the field the coaches wont have to. Their will be no hanging on for a year or two like Leon did.

As far as contracts go A Jones is a humble guy he is not flashy he just wants to provide for his family. So you can get him for a decent price that wont break the bank and that helps when you want to carry 5 solid corners on your team since corners are some of the highest paid positions. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Be thankful for what we have. I was not a fan of the Mixon pick I wanted Cook but Mixon is a Bengal now. Just like Andy, A Jones and all the other guys that the Media attack when they get the chance to. So I will root for them till the Bengals cut them after that wish them the best of luck unless they are playing us.
Reply/Quote
I think it's possible...but it depends on Dennard. If Dennard is ready, I think they waive Jones. If not...they keep Jones.

We have that Russell guy that we picked up from the Chiefs too. He could be a player.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 05:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think it's possible...but it depends on Dennard. If Dennard is ready, I think they waive Jones. If not...they keep Jones.

We have that Russell guy that we picked up from the Chiefs too. He could be a player.

You really think they'd keep Jones AND Dennard in 2018? Or are you saying if Dennard flounders, keep Jones in 2018 and cut Dennard before his option takes effect at the start of the 2018 season?
It just doesn't make sense from a financial perspective to pay DK, Jones, and Dennard $7+ million each in 2018 when the Bengals have to also pay so many other big contracts in 2018 (Green, Dalton, Dunlap, Atkins, likely Eifert, likely Burfict).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We have three CBs we don't really know what we have in them in Dennard, Jackson, Russell. I think Jones is an option to be cut in the last cut down if the coaches feel comfortable with what they see in pre season and practice, but we have to come out healthy.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 04:04 PM)depthchart Wrote: Pac Man will be 34 by the start of this season, then 35 by the start of the 2018 season.

If William Jackson III shows promise plus Keivarae Russell then 2017 is our last go round with Pac Man.
Any type of injury to Pac Man this year would also hurt his chances of the team paying the option in 2018.
Say he misses 3 or 4 games with injury allowing others more playing time to blossom and lowering his market value.

Only risk may be the team does not pick up his option, then Pac Man tests the market and then the Bengals are the highest bidder resigning him without optioning.

Short of that, I think 2017 is his last stint here.

Sure, you can say Jones is aging, but Darrell Green played at high level until age 42.  Not saying that Jones will hang until he's in his 40's, just throwing out the "anything's possible" angle.  Despite his age, and off-field antics, he's was one of the top 10 CBs as rated by the NFL last season.  So, with his play not really falling off, his salary for a top 10 performer at his position, is really quite a bargain.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 05:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: We have three CBs we don't really know what we have in them in Dennard, Jackson, Russell. I think Jones is an option to be cut in the last cut down if the coaches feel comfortable with what they see in pre season and practice, but we have to come out healthy.

I think this season you See Jones and Kirkpatrick Start...  then They start working in Dennard and WJII reducing pacmans role over the course of the season.  (unless hes playing at a high level again)  but even then you will see him get less snaps as the year goes on and we probly see a good amount of Dennard this year.

Keeping jones for this season probly makes since if one of the young guys gets hurt its good to have a vet option.  We also have that kid from the Cheifs who I believe they said is a good slot corner.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 05:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, you can say Jones is aging, but Darrell Green played at high level until age 42.  Not saying that Jones will hang until he's in his 40's, just throwing out the "anything's possible" angle.  Despite his age, and off-field antics, he's was one of the top 10 CBs as rated by the NFL last season.  So, with his play not really falling off, his salary for a top 10 performer at his position, is really quite a bargain.

he did miss a while off the field(when with the titans) too reducing his wear and tear a bit
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 05:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, you can say Jones is aging, but Darrell Green played at high level until age 42.  Not saying that Jones will hang until he's in his 40's, just throwing out the "anything's possible" angle.  Despite his age, and off-field antics, he's was one of the top 10 CBs as rated by the NFL last season.  So, with his play not really falling off, his salary for a top 10 performer at his position, is really quite a bargain.

It may just depend on what the Bengals want to do.

If he shows no signs of aging and plays well maybe they option him back in 2018.

Say he does slip in his play some next year due to age.
The Bengals could not exercise his option yet bring him back cheaper & in a non starting role if no other teams pay more or want the headache.

Later Mike Brown may even add him to the Coaching Staff after he retires to be certain Pac Man has Money to support his Kid.

All up to Mike. Tongue
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 06:37 PM)depthchart Wrote: It may just depend on what the Bengals want to do.

If he shows no signs of aging and plays well maybe they option him back in 2018.

Say he does slip in his play some next year due to age.
The Bengals could not exercise his option yet bring him back cheaper & in a non starting role if no other teams pay more or want the headache.

That is a lot of supposition, in a response where I told you that he was a bargain for his money.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

I think you are spot on.  And it could be sooner than that for Jones if he shows up out of shape again. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 06:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is a lot of supposition, in a response where I told you that he was a bargain for his money.

You are right that he has been a Bargain "to date".

My suppositioning was about yonder future.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 06:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is a lot of supposition, in a response where I told you that he was a bargain for his money.

The only complaint I have with Jones is the occasional little fits he throws. That, and he has trouble covering taller receivers. With our abundance of corners, he could do more kick returning without the eerie feeling you're screwed on the corner position. You are spot on in him being a bargain, and he's really showed no signs of falling off a cliff. A little more leadership, and a lot less crybaby, and he could actually be a mentor of sorts. Steve Smith did it, and he could too, and Steve has every bit as volatile a personality.
Reply/Quote