Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Jones contract - team option for 2018
If we don't cut him this offseason... I expect the CB Depth in 2018 to be...

1. WJ3
2. Dre Kirkpatrick
3. Dennard/Possibly Shaw
4. Shaw
5. Russell
6. Rookie corner or whoever.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 01:23 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: The only complaint I have with Jones is the occasional little fits he throws. That, and he has trouble covering taller receivers. With our abundance of corners, he could do more kick returning without the eerie feeling you're screwed on the corner position. You are spot on in him being a bargain, and he's really showed no signs of falling off a cliff. A little more leadership, and a lot less crybaby, and he could actually be a mentor of sorts. Steve Smith did it, and he could too, and Steve has every bit as volatile a personality.

That is why you have a veteran, top 10 performer at his position, only making 7M.  If the dude had an impeccable track record, he'd be making 15+.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 03:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was sitting here thinking of what position(s) would be highest priority in next year's draft if Ogbuehi and Fisher both progress well enough this season and Eifert, Burfict, and/or Minter re-sign. It made me think about CB and the fact that with Dennard's option, he's now signed through 2018. So then I went back and looked at Adam Jones's contract...

Adam Jones has a team option for 2018, which would be for near $7 million. The Bengals could be preparing to cut ties with him after this season since they already decided to pick up Dennard's option of ~$8.5 million. I don't think the Bengals would be willing to pay out $9.6 million to DK, $8.5 million to Dennard, and also almost $7 million to Jones. That'd total just about $25 million, which would be way too much tied into three CBs of their caliber.

Therefore, I believe the Bengals will keep Jones this year as insurance while Dennard and WJ3 develop but will not pick up his option, sending him to FA after this year.

Do you foresee this happening or do you think the option will be picked up?

Your opinion makes sense to me.  I think the front office is willing to help him out with this year but he has not looked as dominant as in the past on the field.

If he plays very well this year and one of the younger defensive backs gets injured then that may keep him but that would be a costly move in my opinion.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 01:23 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: The only complaint I have with Jones is the occasional little fits he throws. That, and he has trouble covering taller receivers. With our abundance of corners, he could do more kick returning without the eerie feeling you're screwed on the corner position. You are spot on in him being a bargain, and he's really showed no signs of falling off a cliff. A little more leadership, and a lot less crybaby, and he could actually be a mentor of sorts. Steve Smith did it, and he could too, and Steve has every bit as volatile a personality.

One person's volatility is another person's passion.

Adam Jones is a passionate person. I like that about him and so does the front office.  

I blame the Meltdown on the football field to the coaching staff not necessarily solely on the player.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote