Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addiction
So I have chewed for pretty much my adult life. When I met my current wife, I hid it from her and still 10 years later, I have never told her. I'm sure she knows, because recently my 15 yr old stepson got caught with a can of Grizzly. She was like, I wonder we're he got that idea from, looking at you know who..... Anybody have any sure way to quit. I've quit for a a couple of years stretches, but that craving was always there.
Reply/Quote
It’s tough. I’ve quit smoking several times in the past and the craving never seemed to go away. After 2 yrs I was feeling the same urgency to smoke as I did when I first quit. Nicotine is tough to crack. I know patches helped curb the craving, but still had cravings. Even more when stressed.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Take up vaping, then ween yourself down on your nicotene levels until you don't crave it anymore. Got me off of 30+ years of smoking.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 08:52 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Take up vaping, then ween yourself down on your nicotene levels until you don't crave it anymore. Got me off of 30+ years of smoking.

Is that safe? When I went to get my corotid artery cleared, the nurse said she highly disapproved of vaping because of the oil film that lines your lungs.

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 08:57 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Is that safe? When I went to get my corotid artery cleared, the nurse said she highly disapproved of vaping because of the oil film that lines your lungs.

I'm sure it's a little safer than a coating of tar lining your lungs.  Not to mention the hundreds of other cancer causing agents in tobacco.  Plus, if you go into it with the right attitude you can quit the whole process within a year.

I noticed a distinct difference within a week.  My coughing all but quit, and I felt better.  It's just one option, but it worked for me, and several other people I know.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 09:03 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I'm sure it's a little safer than a coating of tar lining your lungs.  Not to mention the hundreds of other cancer causing agents in tobacco.  Plus, if you go into it with the right attitude you can quit the whole process within a year.

I noticed a distinct difference within a week.  My coughing all but quit, and I felt better.  It's just one option, but it worked for me, and several other people I know.

Congrats on that. What vape did you use?

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 09:11 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Congrats on that. What vape did you use?

iStick S:
[Image: eleaf-ijust-s-kit-6d3.jpg]

With several different flavors.  Some are very good.
eliquid.com
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 09:14 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: iStick S:
[Image: eleaf-ijust-s-kit-6d3.jpg]

With several different flavors.  Some are very good.
eliquid.com

One thing I like about Winston’s is that punch in the throat. Does it do that or is it milder?

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 09:23 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: One thing I like about Winston’s is that punch in the throat. Does it do that or is it milder?

Yep.  It feels just like hitting a cig.  If you've got a vape shop in your town, stop in.  They'll get you all fixed up, and you can sample different flavors and get the feel for it.  You can find the iJust2 vape on ebay for around $25.00 or so, and the vape juice is way cheaper than smokes.  So your wallet will be healthier, too.
Reply/Quote
The patch worked for me to quit smoking after 24 years. I can't say it is right for everyone, but it worked in my case.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 09:50 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The patch worked for me to quit smoking after 24 years.  I can't say it is right for everyone, but it worked in my case.

Yeah, there are several options out there.  I think the most important part though is you really have to WANT to quit.  
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 01:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So I have chewed for pretty much my adult life. When I met my current wife, I hid it from her and still 10 years later, I have never told her. I'm sure she knows,  because recently my 15 yr old stepson got caught with a can of Grizzly. She was like, I wonder we're he got that idea from, looking at you know who..... Anybody have any sure way to quit. I've quit for a a couple of years stretches, but that craving was always there.

I've been dipping for 30+ years.  Quit drinking when I was 23, but I don't know that I could quit dipping.  Thought I found the grail when I found a fake dip with nicotine.  Took some getting used to but I was  on the way to making that my regular chew when my mouth filled up with sores.  They put cayenne pepper in it (I knew this) and I guess my mouth just doesn't tolerate it.  

The two brands are Encore and Triumph.  Used to be one company and split.  Internet only.  You can also step down if you wish.  The have full, half, quarter and zero nicotine.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 10:05 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Yeah, there are several options out there.  I think the most important part though is you really have to WANT to quit.  

What's unique in my case is I really did not want to quit.  It was really a case of me being a cheap bastard.  I would ordinarily buy smokes by the carton as the tobacco store.  That particular day they were out, so I had to go to the Walgreen's across the street for a couple of packs to cover me for a few days.  I saw that a two week supply of the patch was much less than what I spent on cigarettes for the same time frame, so I said "eff it, maybe I'll get hooked on those and save some cash".  The program lasted 10 plus weeks, so at that point I was too stubborn to go back...
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 09:27 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: What's unique in my case is I really did not want to quit.  It was really a case of me being a cheap bastard.  I would ordinarily buy smokes by the carton as the tobacco store.  That particular day they were out, so I had to go to the Walgreen's across the street for a couple of packs to cover me for a few days.  I saw that a two week supply of the patch was much less than what I spent on cigarettes for the same time frame, so I said "eff it, maybe I'll get hooked on those and save some cash".  The program lasted 10 plus weeks, so at that point I was too stubborn to go back...

I hear ya'.  I'd love to have back all the money I wasted killing myself all those years!  
Reply/Quote
My name is Millhouse and I am a Bengals fan. Oh and a past tobacco/ganja user as well.

Oddly enough it was harder for me to give up the devil's lettuce than cigs. That took a few months to finally get it out of my daily routine so to speak. But the drawback was smoking more cigs. But a couple or so years after that, I quit cigs entirely by switching over to pipe tobacco instead of vaping, though I bought a decent vape.

I hated vaping, made me cough a ton and it just felt empty to inhale. Plus I didnt like the idea that I was part of the Vape nation yo. But using pipe tobacco was a helluva lot cheaper than cigs, and without all the chemicals. But after a few months or so, I dwindled that down to nothing, to where if I feel the urge to smoke, I will go buy a cigar for one night a week. Or light up the legal pipe.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 03:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I've been dipping for 30+ years.    Quit drinking when I was 23, but I don't know that I could quit dipping.  Thought I found the grail when I found a fake dip with nicotine.  Took some getting used to but I was  on the way to making that my regular chew when my mouth filled up with sores.  They put cayenne pepper in it (I knew this) and I guess my mouth just doesn't tolerate it.  

The two brands are Encore and Triumph.  Used to be one company and split.  Internet only.  You can also step down if you wish.  The have full, half, quarter and zero nicotine.

Thanks I will check that out. I have found that when I am outside, which I am 90% of the time, I like to dip! So your suggestion might work or just chew bubble gum...
Reply/Quote
The addiction is only part of it. The habit is just as bad. I smoke. I don't chew, but the best advice I can give is to use a pacifier of some sort along with your nicotine replacement. For me it was toothpicks and a smooth stone about the diameter of a cigarette to hold between my fingers... Then the divorce rolled around, and I said "**** it... I need a cigarette."
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I used to smoke before my son was born.  about a 1/3 of the way thru the pregnancy, I literally looked at myself in the mirror and decided I didn't want my son to see me smoking.  I don't know why, but I quit cold turkey that night.  of course, I was down to my last two smokes in the pack and smoked them that night and have never gone back out to buy another pack.  Haven't looked back since.  I quit once before, a few years back, and I found the worst part about quitting then was what Jason was alluding too, I needed something to hold and just the physical act of putting my hands to my lips.  I used gobs of toothpicks and chewed packs of gum to help.  but for one reason or another, I don't know why, I never had that urge this last time quitting.  I don't know.....maybe it was just some mental switch that said no more.   I have bummed a couple smokes since I've quit this last time, but each one tasted like ass.  Just couldn't even finish it.    Now all I do chew Skoal bandits, but only when I'm drinking.  I can't eat something and chew at the same time, so I only dip after supper and if I have a drink or two.  A can literally lasts me a month.  I've never looked into the whole smoking pipe tobacco......that's something my Great G'pa used to do. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote