Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding Bengals Players From Each Decade
Figured I'd try to start up a different conversation with this. (My apologies if it's been done before) If you could add one player from each decade (70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's) to this team moving forward, who would they be?

Here are mine:

1970's - Lamar Parrish. I know him and Riley are close but I give the nod to Parrish here. Not only is a great CB but he's probably the best return man we've ever had. I immediately start shopping William Jackson after this move, and I'd then immediately cut Erikson.

1980's - Anthony Munoz. I really don't think I even need to explain this pick.

1990's - Takeo Spikes. I personally consider him to be the best linebacker we've had since Reggie Williams. Adding him from the 90's means I'm snagging him while he's still young, and leaving up my 2000's pick. We desperately need good linebackers so i think he's a great choice here. Let's just hope the 2020 version of the franchise leaves him less disgruntled.

2000's - Willie Anderson. Snagging Big Willie to pair with Munoz. He's arguably one of the very best RT's of the last 30 years. Apologies to Jonah Williams, you're not sliding over to RT after this move. I know everyone is high on him, but Munoz at LT and Anderson at RT gives us two of the best two ever do it at their respective positions. This duo is too good to pass up.

2010's - Tyler Eifert. We could certainly use an elite TE. He should have been one. With this hypothetical and magical scenario, I'm hoping by adding a pre-injury version of him that he won't get hypothetically get injured again.
Reply/Quote
70’s - before my time but I’ll go with Riley

80’s - Muñoz

90’s - Dillon

00’s - Chad (imagine Burrow with prime Chad)

10’s - Whit
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
70s- Bill Bergey

80s- The GOAT

90s- Dillon

00s- Chad

10s- Burfict
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I am a bit young for the 70's even though I love the music (born in '82) I will go with... Ken Riley CB

80's be the GOAT

90's be Fulcher

00's be Willie

10's be Whitworth

EDITED
Reply/Quote
Can you imagin Fulcher (6'3", 235) playing the hybrid SS/LB position in todays NFL?

But it doesn't really matter becuase no matter where you lined him up he would be one of the best players on the field.

One of my favorite Bengals of all time.
Reply/Quote
This may be bending the rules a bit but

'60's...Bill Bergey
'70's...Lemar Parrish
'80's...Munoz
'90's...Fulcher (sorry Corey)
'00's...Willie Anderson (sorry Chad)
'10's...Whit
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2020, 01:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Can you imagin Fulcher (6'3", 235) playing the hybrid SS/LB position in todays NFL?

But it doesn't really matter becuase no matter where you lined him up he would be one of the best players on the field.

One of my favorite Bengals of all time.

Yeah Fulcher the Vulture was great, I guess if I thought of him in the 90's he would be my pick I just think of him in the 80's more.

I will change my pick for the 90's to Fulcher over Dillon after this thought.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 03:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah Fulcher the Vulture was great, I guess if I thought of him in the 90's he would be my pick I just think of him in the 80's more.

I will change my pick for the 90's to Fulcher over Dillon after this thought.

His best days were definitely in the 80's.

I am just stretching the rules as much as possible.
Reply/Quote
Gotta love how the question asks to add players to this year's team moving forward. And responses are adding 3x OT and more WRs and RBs. And people complain about our front office moves.

Adding Munoz, Willie and Whit is a waste. Why do we need 3 more tackles at this point? And why are we adding WRs to this group? Or even Dillion?

70s - Max Montoya RG
80s - Munoz LT (screws Jonas but Munoz is arguably the best LT ever)
90s - Fulcher SS/ subLB in nickel passing downs
00s - Anderson RT (not all lineman can excel playing on the other side of the line, and not taking a chance... going with a true RT)
10s - Burfict (pre-concussion Burfict).. the beast of Zimmer's defense

This gives our QB, ace RB, great WR corps. the OL they deserve. And this also gives us a true captain on D (Burfict) while adding probably the most versatile defender we have had that fits between the cracks and would do well in today's passing league with smaller RBs. This would make for a very versatile defensive backfield using more DBs then LBs. And the extra speed might be what the doctor ordered for Lamar Jackson.

Approximate value rating for career via https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/career-av.htm
Montoya 100, Monoz 196, Fulcher* 67, Anderson 121, Burfict** 49

*He made the probowl in 1988,'89,'90... and was 1st team all pro in '89. So I wouldn't say Fulcher is past his prime 1990sb
** He was the captain calling plays in the 10s. He played against the grain and it kept him from a lot of accolades in my mind. Stat-wise doesn't paint the picture of how team's weren't comfortable when Burfict was on the field.

Lastly I would love to add Ken Riley as we are in a pass happy league. But the Issac Curtis rule as only adopted in 1973. So those '70s CBs might not transition well into today's games.
Reply/Quote