Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding Roark and Wood is huge
Reds had one of worst pitching staffs in history of baseball. That is why Reds were cemented in last place last few years. Adding Roark and Wood is a big step in trying to improve Reds pitching.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Adding Roark did not give me huge wood.
Reply/Quote
I guess it's a step in the right direction but they still need more strides !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2018, 01:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I guess it's a step in the right direction but they still need more strides !

People were not excited about adding Neagle and Harnish, but Reds went to play-offs with them. Lost to Mets, but still a fun season.  Roark and Wood are better than Neagle and Harnish.  When they are on their game, Fantasy Baseball players are eager to get them.  I never see anybody eager to add Reds pitchers last few years. 

I'm sure because Washington pays Max and other pitchers so much and Dodgers pay Kershaw and others so much, this is why Reds got 2 pitchers who at times have been 2 of the better pitchers in baseball.  These guys easily become the #1 and #2 starters on the Reds.  Way better than any other Reds starters. So far Tanner Roark and Alex Wood and if any of these other bums on the Reds step up, Reds just might have pitching and might not be losing every game as soon as it starts. That HAS been the problem. Reds starters always force Reds to be playing from behind. Every time I turn Reds on, they are losing early in game and all game long. There is not one spot on Bengals that has been as weak as Reds pitching. Glad to see Reds adding veteran pitchers, not just minor league want to be's. I have the feeling The Baseball Bell Family just might straighten this losing franchise out.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The roster strikes me as being able to fight for a .500 record, the way the team looks now. Sign an ace and a lead off centerfielder and we can talk wildcard.
Reply/Quote
One more solid pitcher and a solid season from one of the guys from the past few seasons along with the lineup and we might just have us a ballclub worth watching. At least the leadoff hitter won't be hitting in the pitchers slot anymore.  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
They need one more guy. They don't have a 1 or 2 starter right now. Hopefully Castillo can develop in to a guy that can fill one of those slots. He's the only guy with a real chance to be a legit ace on this staff.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 12:18 AM)samhain Wrote: They need one more guy.  They don't have a 1 or 2 starter right now.  Hopefully Castillo can develop in to a guy that can fill one of those slots.  He's the only guy with a real chance to be a legit ace on this staff.

I want to see it first out of Castillo and other Reds, they have all been pretty bad.  They all need to earn their spots on this team.  Same with the bullpen.  I wouldn't mind seeing Reds add some bullpen pitchers still free agents. Reds have been going off the Tony LaRussa book of how to play baseball and it has had them in last place.  I hope they throw that book out and go with The Bell Family book of how to play baseball.  As for Castillo and pitchers of 2018 Reds, they all need to prove to Bell that they even belong on the Reds.  Again, Reds bullpen isn't that hot either, and more help could be brought in there as well. That pitching coach from Brewers we got is big on having a deep bullpen. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
A starting rotation of:
1. Castillo
2. Wood
3. Roark
4. DeSclafani
5. Mahle

with a starting line up of:
1. Jesse Winker LF
2. Scooter Gennet 2B
3. Joey Votto 1B
4. Eugenio Suarez 3B
5. Yasiel Puig RF
6. Nick Senzel/Scott Schebler CF
7. Tucker Barnhart C
8. Pitcher slot
9. Jose Peraza SS

With a bench of:
Matt Kemp LF/RF
Nick Senzel/Scott Schebler OF
Phil Ervin OF
Alex Blandino IF
Curt Casali C/1B

And a bullpen of:
Keury Mella/Sal Romano
Jared Hughes
David Hernandez
Wandy Peralta
Michael Lorenzen
Amir Garrett
Raisel Iglesias

Would likely be good enough to contend for a wild card slot.

If they can secure another starting pitcher like Kluber or Keuchel, then I'd say they could compete for a division title if everything breaks right and the players we expect to develop do develop properly.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 09:14 AM)kevin Wrote: I want to see it first out of Castillo and other Reds, they have all been pretty bad.  They all need to earn their spots on this team.  Same with the bullpen.  I wouldn't mind seeing Reds add some bullpen pitchers still free agents. Reds have been going off the Tony LaRussa book of how to play baseball and it has had them in last place.  I hope they throw that book out and go with The Bell Family book of how to play baseball.  As for Castillo and pitchers of 2018 Reds, they all need to prove to Bell that they even belong on the Reds.  Again, Reds bullpen isn't that hot either, and more help could be brought in there as well. That pitching coach from Brewers we got is big on having a deep bullpen. 

I think the bullpen will be deep when the team is done making moves.  There's still a decent chance that they bring in another starter if Williams is to be believed.  This should push the usual rotation suspects like Reed and Romano to the pen.  Guys like that might just thrive there.

I'd roll with a pen of Iglesias, Lorenzen, Reed, Garrett, Peralta, Romano, Hughes, and Hernandez all day long.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 02:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: A starting rotation of:
1. Castillo
2. Wood
3. Roark
4. DeSclafani
5. Mahle

with a starting line up of:
1. Jesse Winker LF
2. Scooter Gennet 2B
3. Joey Votto 1B
4. Eugenio Suarez 3B
5. Yasiel Puig RF
6. Nick Senzel/Scott Schebler CF
7. Tucker Barnhart C
8. Pitcher slot
9. Jose Peraza SS

With a bench of:
Matt Kemp LF/RF
Nick Senzel/Scott Schebler OF
Phil Ervin OF
Alex Blandino IF
Curt Casali C/1B

And a bullpen of:
Keury Mella/Sal Romano
Jared Hughes
David Hernandez
Wandy Peralta
Michael Lorenzen
Amir Garrett
Raisel Iglesias

Would likely be good enough to contend for a wild card slot.

If they can secure another starting pitcher like Kluber or Keuchel, then I'd say they could compete for a division title if everything breaks right and the players we expect to develop do develop properly. The pitcher can hit 9th again now that Billy isn’t on the team.

Starting pitching was there biggest weakness last year and they’ve really only added one guy if you figure in losing Harvey. I’m thinking they’re more of a .500 team as is today. They at least need a number 1 or 2 to compete for a wild card. The bats are very good, the D is gonna be poor.
Reply/Quote
We still need to add someone who can be a "top of the rotation guy" to contend, but we are a LOT closer.
Reply/Quote
We have 4 starting outfielders (Winker, Shebler, Puig, Kemp) but none of them play CF.

We have no place to play the only minor league prospect who is ready to contribute (Senzil).

We still need pitching. Both Castillo and Mahle had decent minor league number, but neither has shown he can do it in the majors. DeSclafani had a 3.28 ERA in 20 starts back in 2016, but doesn't look like the same pitcher since missing a season.

I hope we make another trade for another starting pitcher,
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 05:57 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: We still need to add someone who can be a "top of the rotation guy" to contend, but we are a LOT closer.

(12-26-2018, 06:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have 4 starting outfielders (Winker, Shebler, Puig, Kemp) but none of them play CF.

We have no place to play the only minor league prospect who is ready to contribute (Senzil).

We still need pitching.  Both Castillo and Mahle had decent minor league number, but neither has shown he can do it in the majors.  DeSclafani had a 3.28 ERA in 20 starts back in 2016, but doesn't look like the same pitcher since missing a season.

I hope we make another trade for another starting pitcher,

Right,

This team still has to have a true #1 to be a contender. 
Reply/Quote