Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adjustments (Or Lack There Of)
(09-25-2017, 09:48 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Sure seemed like Romo questioned the plays being run.  Don't know if Andy can audible.  But Romo would say.. don't run the run against that formation... and we would run it.

This was especially on display the first drive in OT.  Romo said don't run the ball on the first play because you don't want to have a 2nd and long...
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 09:48 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Sure seemed like Romo questioned the plays being run.  Don't know if Andy can audible.  But Romo would say.. don't run the run against that formation... and we would run it.

Andy was calling audibles under Hue's guidance. When he looked his best.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 11:56 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I hear what you're saying and I've made the same argument.

Point is Marvin and this coaching staff suck at any and all adjustments. The vast majority of the time when we're playing the better teams we get outcoached.
all of us fans need to write letters,tweet,facebook and any means necessary to Mr. Mike Brown and I know he reads them cause I have done this many times.He needs to hear from all of us personally.Tell him to fire lewis and this whole insane staff.My prediction,the browns will beat us.This offensive line is just plain horrible,andy Dalton is awlful,dude threw 4 long passes to open receivers and he way overthrew all of them.He sucks.Tyler Boyd and cody core are on this team,but yet all he does is throw to green,the dude is clueless.He will not use the whole team and he is so predictable.Players want a change at qb.the dude sees pressure and he bales like right now and ALWAYS runs to the left.he is terrible.put in aj and right now.the season is over folks believe this.start a  world wide thread,the fire Marvin and everyone else,especially PA.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 04:08 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: all of us fans need to write letters,tweet,facebook and any means necessary to Mr. Mike Brown and I know he reads them cause I have done this many times.He needs to hear from all of us personally.Tell him to fire lewis and this whole insane staff.My prediction,the browns will beat us.This offensive line is just plain horrible,andy Dalton is awlful,dude threw 4 long passes to open receivers and he way overthrew all of them.He sucks.Tyler Boyd and cody core are on this team,but yet all he does is throw to green,the dude is clueless.He will not use the whole team and he is so predictable.Players want a change at qb.the dude sees pressure and he bales like right now and ALWAYS runs to the left.he is terrible.put in aj and right now.the season is over folks believe this.start a  world wide thread,the fire Marvin and everyone else,especially PA.

Some of the things you listed are directly on Bengals Management such as the horrible offensive line.

Having a coach who was 0-7 in the playoff and maintained...is on Bengals Management.

So you think that writing them a letter telling them that they should fire the coach is going to make things better?

Paul Alexander was hired under DAVE SHULA AND IS STILL COACHING HERE. We had one of the worst lines in football in the 90's and he survived that.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 11:35 AM)Synric Wrote: Agreed but they also do all of that after every drive not just halftime. 

Yes, they have the advantage of overhead shots, etc, that we didn't have at the high school level, obviously.  You just have more time at the half to go over things and correct flaws.  I'm reminded of how Denver switched up their D at the half to do us in back in 2015 when I think of this.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 11:36 AM)Tomkat Wrote: 30 minutes?  Halftime is only 15 minutes.

LMAO....right....it SEEMS like 30. Smirk  My fault....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 09:40 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: To me...where the Bengals coaches almost ALWAYS FAIL are in the adjustments area. How many times do we see a team come out and score a TD on the 1st drive of the 2nd half and the Bengals end up punting.

During the game, Tony Romo said that with a new OC you're usually good for a game or two just because there is no tape for teams to gameplan against.

Well the Packers shut our offense down in the 2nd half. So either Lazor totally changed his gameplan...or the Packers reacted to what they saw in the 1st half on both sides of the ball.

When you get to the playoffs or big primetime games, generally teams have equal personnel to us...so strategy comes into play more. We generally always get out-adjusted by the other team.

Thoughts?

The 2nd area where I think our coaches fail is developing young players...and I don't necessarily mean in games. I mean in practice too.

This is on Marv man who doesn't believe in adjustments.

Not a coincidence that this happens all the time, he needs to stay out of the OC's bidness.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 09:55 AM)Spider Wrote: Its simply a losing culture that has this franchise by the balls... Even when we were winning in recent years it did not matter.. They have always found a way to lose horribly when everyone is watching..
It almost seems it cannot be fixed, now, in the past or maybe even ever.. geez
SO SAD AND SO TRUE!

Nothing short of Mikey and spawn selling the team will fix it either.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 04:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some of the things you listed are directly on Bengals Management such as the horrible offensive line.

Having a coach who was 0-7 in the playoff and maintained...is on Bengals Management.

So you think that writing them a letter telling them that they should fire the coach is going to make things better?

Paul Alexander was hired under DAVE SHULA AND IS STILL COACHING HERE. We had one of the worst lines in football in the 90's and he survived that.
I have written letters to just about everyone in the front office. I eventually get a boilerplate reply that reads like Charley Brown's teacher. I don't have a better idea though. Hopefully someone does.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 04:08 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: all of us fans need to write letters,tweet,facebook and any means necessary to Mr. Mike Brown and I know he reads them cause I have done this many times.He needs to hear from all of us personally.Tell him to fire lewis and this whole insane staff.My prediction,the browns will beat us.This offensive line is just plain horrible,andy Dalton is awlful,dude threw 4 long passes to open receivers and he way overthrew all of them.He sucks.Tyler Boyd and cody core are on this team,but yet all he does is throw to green,the dude is clueless.He will not use the whole team and he is so predictable.Players want a change at qb.the dude sees pressure and he bales like right now and ALWAYS runs to the left.he is terrible.put in aj and right now.the season is over folks believe this.start a  world wide thread,the fire Marvin and everyone else,especially PA.

So our somewhat mobile QB who has the second fastest release in the NFL needs to be replaced by a non-mobile QB who has a long motion and is slow getting the ball out of his hands behind one of (if not the) worse OLines in the NFL? That fixes the problem?

The problem is having a franchise QB who is not the best at handling pressure. This has been known since he was drafted. After a season of him getting sacked a lot, the team doesn't re-sign their top 2 OLineman who are free agents. Not only that, they make no attempt to sign OR draft replacements. Especially after watching their OLine coach's handpicked left tackle be the worst tackle in the entire league the year before. So just a season after allowing a bunch of pressure on your QB who doesn't handle it well, you make the OLine WORSE but want to complain about his inability to handle pressure. On what planet is that reasonable?

Not trying to really argue with you. The entire blame goes back to our joke of an owner/GM. It's that piece of shit's fault we're where we're at.
Reply/Quote
Just look at Marvin's halftime adjustments in his 7 playoff losses. The Bengals were outscored by like 96 to 24 in the second half of those losses, and that's all coaching or lack of it. Marvin is a likeable guy but a terrible head coach who has no control over any of his players. In todays culture if Brown fired Marvin players would take a knee or call the move racist. So we are stuck with Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 06:01 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: So our somewhat mobile QB who has the second fastest release in the NFL needs to be replaced by a non-mobile QB who has a long motion and is slow getting the ball out of his hands behind one of (if not the) worse OLines in the NFL? That fixes the problem?

The problem is having a franchise QB who is not the best at handling pressure. This has been known since he was drafted. After a season of him getting sacked a lot, the team doesn't re-sign their top 2 OLineman who are free agents. Not only that, they make no attempt to sign OR draft replacements. Especially after watching their OLine coach's handpicked left tackle be the worst tackle in the entire league the year before. So just a season after allowing a bunch of pressure on your QB who doesn't handle it well, you make the OLine WORSE but want to complain about his inability to handle pressure. On what planet is that reasonable?

Not trying to really argue with you. The entire blame goes back to our joke of an owner/GM. It's that piece of shit's fault we're where we're at.

Completely agree.

Putting in AJ McCarron would be the stupidest thing this team could do. Dude sucked the entire Offseason and Preseason.

He was worse than Driskell and like you said has a very slow release unlike Dalton who is about the fastest.

Dalton does panic when he gets pressured which is his biggest weakness but so do a lot of QB's.

He needs to step into the pocket like Rodgers or Brady and go to his guy regardless if he is going to get hit.

But hey, that is a lot to ask and is very rare.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 06:27 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: Just look at Marvin's halftime adjustments in his 7 playoff losses. The Bengals were outscored by like 96 to 24 in the second half of those losses, and that's all coaching or lack of it. Marvin is a likeable guy but a terrible head coach who has no control over any of his players. In todays culture if Brown fired  Marvin players would take a knee or call the move racist. So we are stuck with Lewis.

Don't have to fire him, just get a new HC after the season.

Race should have nothing to do with it, he has had more chances than any coach should and the writing is on the wall in big ass letters.

Dude cannot out coach good coaches, ever.

But you are right about todays culture which makes me sick. The racists calling people who don't see color racists is disgusting.

I don't give a damn if you are black, white or purple. People are people and they should be hired or fired accordingly.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 11:23 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Yea.  I think we called one after a review also.  Not a good day on that front.

New OC, there will be timeouts and confusion. What makes me really upset, Marvin Lewis thinks a 7 point lead is enough to start running out the clock and defense go into prevent mode. They let Green Bay walk up and down the field. This strategy fails more than it succeeds, Marvin will not change from it, he should have been fired today because his coaching strategy cost us the game. Marvin Lewis = weak, spineless coward(football wise of course), who plays not to lose vs playing to win.
Reply/Quote
My two cents, fire Marin in the bye week and name Paul Alexander interim coach tasked with playing/developing the young players. With Alexander the system could remain the same so the players will not have to relearn a new system. After the season is over offer Josh McDaniel or Scott Lineham the Head Coaching job (Jon Gruden is available but been there, done that). The draft should concentrate heavily on the OL and additional LBs. A top flight TE should also be a priority (Eifert is done). With the youth of the overall team a new Head Coach should be able to implement a new system and mold the team accordingly.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 05:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, they have the advantage of overhead shots, etc, that we didn't have at the high school level, obviously.  You just have more time at the half to go over things and correct flaws.  I'm reminded of how Denver switched up their D at the half to do us in back in 2015 when I think of this.

Hell, on offense, they didn't even go back to what worked.  Instead, they come out with both Og and Fish back at the Tackle spots, and try to run to the Right..  What was working, was having Smith at RT, the running game had a little life, and the short passes to the backs led to some mid range throws to AJ.  Sure Smith played some LT as well, but offense seemed much more effective with him on the Right side.  

Throwing to the backs worked really well in the 1st half, didn't notice much of that in the 2nd half.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 09:40 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: To me...where the Bengals coaches almost ALWAYS FAIL are in the adjustments area. How many times do we see a team come out and score a TD on the 1st drive of the 2nd half and the Bengals end up punting.

During the game, Tony Romo said that with a new OC you're usually good for a game or two just because there is no tape for teams to gameplan against.

Well the Packers shut our offense down in the 2nd half. So either Lazor totally changed his gameplan...or the Packers reacted to what they saw in the 1st half on both sides of the ball.

When you get to the playoffs or big primetime games, generally teams have equal personnel to us...so strategy comes into play more. We generally always get out-adjusted by the other team.

Thoughts?

The 2nd area where I think our coaches fail is developing young players...and I don't necessarily mean in games. I mean in practice too.

In fairness, Lazor was limited in what kinds of adjustments he could make likely because he only has a fraction of the playbook installed.  

I don't know how much it would have mattered, because Marvin ALWAYS seems to stick his nose in the Offensive game plan when we get a lead and goes ultra conservative.  He's the epitome of a "play not to lose" coach.

Still, given the circumstances, 17 points out of the offense was a good effort considering the change of coordinators a week ago.  We had a 7 point lead with 3 minutes left, and you'd like to hope the D(the strength of the team), could hold them out of the endzone.
Reply/Quote
A team should be constantly adjusting on both sides of the ball throughout the game, on the fly as others have said. Then, at halftime, you figure out what to do in the second half. This should be easy for Marvin, since his whole team, in fact, the whole world knows how he'll play the second half with a 2 TD lead. Okay guys, now we take the foot off the gas and pray like hell we can coast to a win.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
4 times in the last 7 games the Bengals have scored 20 or more points in the first half. Their 2nd half output in those 4 games...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 11:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 4 times in the last 7 games the Bengals have scored 20 or more points in the first half. Their 2nd half output in those 4 games...

Can this be patented?  Cuz we may or may not have invented it but but we sure own it now.

Reply/Quote