Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
After 2 games last year.
At this point last year we were 1-1 instead of 0-2, but when you lose a game because you miss an XP you are allowed to call that a "fluke".

At this point last year our offense was much worse

...............'21.......'22

YPG......... 307 ... 343
3rd %..... 33.3 ... 42.4
sack%.... 14.9 ... 12.7

So there is still plenty of hope.
Reply/Quote
Interesting stats for sure. But since we made the SB and with the off season pick-ups we all probably felt and thought that we would come out guns blazing and be 2-0 but didn't take into account the set backs we had, like Joe's surgery, Collins lack of TC, no pre-season snaps for the new line, Bates no TC. Combination of all the above maybe.
Reply/Quote
Losing to the Steelers and Cowboys made it worse. If it were 2 elite teams, it's more palatable.

We're also the only team in the NFL not to have the lead for a single second in either game. Hard to win when that happens...
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 04:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Losing to the Steelers and Cowboys made it worse. If it were 2 elite teams, it's more palatable.

Well we lost to a bad Bears team and barely beat a mediocre Vikings team last year. So…
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 04:05 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Well we lost to a bad Bears team and barely beat a mediocre Vikings team last year. So…

That was a team with no expectations.

This team made the SB and added 3 upgrades to the weakest unit.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 03:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: At this point last year we were 1-1 instead of 0-2, but when you lose a game because you miss an XP you are allowed to call that a "fluke".

YPG......... 307 ... 343
3rd %..... 33.3 ... 42.4
sack%.... 14.9 ... 12.7

Piggybacking on those stats:

Joe Burrow 2021 after 2 games
39 comp 57 att 68.4% 468 yards 4 TD 3 INT 10 sacks

Joe Burrow 2022 after 2 games
57 comp 89 att 64.0% 537 yards 3 TD 4 INT 13 sacks
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 03:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: At this point last year we were 1-1 instead of 0-2, but when you lose a game because you miss an XP you are allowed to call that a "fluke".

YPG......... 307 ... 343
3rd %..... 33.3 ... 42.4
sack%.... 14.9 ... 12.7

-The schedule last year was much easier
-No one figured out how to stop Chase yet
-JB looked way sharper
-We as a team look completely lost
Reply/Quote
Taylor was also awful in both those games last year, business as usual.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 05:03 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Piggybacking on those stats:

Joe Burrow 2021 after 2 games
39 comp 57 att 68.4% 468 yards 4 TD 3 INT 10 sacks

Joe Burrow 2022 after 2 games
57 comp 89 att 64.0% 537 yards 3 TD 4 INT 13 sacks

This suggest the Bengals are passing the ball more, 16 more a game. 

Really expected to see them run the ball more this season
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

YPG......... 307 ... 343
3rd %..... 33.3 ... 42.4
sack%.... 14.9 ... 12.7

The defense hadn't really gelled last year at this time, either.  Then again, they just got beat by two of the worst offenses.  This weekend will be a real test.  If they play off the LOS and allow short stuff to TEs and RBs it will be a long day.  Hope they play more aggressive than they did against Dallas and more like the pitt game.  
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 09:24 AM)Go Cards Wrote: This suggest the Bengals are passing the ball more, 16 more a game. 

Really expected to see them run the ball more this season

They tried against Pittsburgh. Mixon had 27 carries. Just couldn’t get anything going.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 09:33 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They tried against Pittsburgh. Mixon had 27 carries. Just couldn’t get anything going.

Was referring more compared to last season. Which the rushing stats look very similar despite a $70 million upgrade

year.......Att......yds......TD'S.......Average

Understand completely that they tried against steelers and that makes it that much more depressing. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I think Mixon would be rollin if they didn't have JoeB in the shotgun 70+% of every snap. The shotgun is a lousy way to run the ball..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 01:13 PM)grampahol Wrote: I think Mixon would be rollin if they didn't have JoeB in the shotgun 70+% of every snap. The shotgun is a lousy way to run the ball..

Actually the Bengals, like most NFL teams, are more effective running the ball out of the shotgun.  I think it has to do with the RB getting the ball with more time to read the blocking.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 10:24 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Was referring more compared to last season. Which the rushing stats look very similar despite a $70 million upgrade

Understand completely that they tried against steelers and that makes it that much more depressing. 

We've also had half of our total runs be to the left, behind Williams and/or Volson. Despite the right side being know much more for run blocking. Maybe the back injury to Collins is playing a part in that but our ypc average to the right is like double our ypc to the left. 
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 10:24 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Was referring more compared to last season. Which the rushing stats look very similar despite a $70 million upgrade

Yes it does

And I'm still of the opinion that we're telegraphing plays to much with formation. Hopefully ZT and BC have recognized this and are figuring it out.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 04:05 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Well we lost to a bad Bears team and barely beat a mediocre Vikings team last year. So…

I'd say only barely beat the Vikings because of coaching. I was trying to remember because the stats are similar but we had a different feel last year. We were up like 21-7 on the Vikings or something and went for a 4th down in our own territory that allowed them to tie it in the final seconds if my memory is correct. 
Reply/Quote

YPG......... 307 ... 343
3rd %..... 33.3 ... 42.4
sack%.... 14.9 ... 12.7

People might want to look at things with way if it makes ya feel better. We had a horrible line last year and made it to the SB. This year we have yet again a horrible line, but these guys will be better. It’s not physical limitations that has them playing bad like last year, it’s chemistry and communication. I would think it HAS to get better unlike last year. We just had to adapt and roll in with what we had.
I’m just as worried about the D line. The D kept us in so many games last year. Same guys basically. So D line along with play calling has to improve. The Oline will come along. Just hope it’s not too late when they do.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 02:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes it does

And I'm still of the opinion that we're telegraphing plays to much with formation. Hopefully ZT and BC have recognized this and are figuring it out.

Rams defenders flat out said it after the Super Bowl.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
We need to go 10-5 through the remainder of the season to tie last year’s record.I think there’s a good possibility that can be done.We’ll see how thy look against the Jets tomorrow.
Reply/Quote