Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After all I said
After all I said about Vigil's poor tackling he did a nice job against Pittsburgh.  He did a really nice stack and shed of Pouncy to help tackle Bell in the hole with Burfict.  Really nice job.  Meanwhile Maualuga was totally detonated by the fullback...

Encouraging to see good open field tackling on a guy like Laveon Bell.  I really hope they give him some significant snaps in the next few games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 08:36 PM)3wt Wrote: After all I said about Vigil's poor tackling he did a nice job against Pittsburgh.  He did a really nice stack and shed of Pouncy to help tackle Bell in the hole with Burfict.  Really nice job.  Meanwhile Maualuga was totally detonated by the fullback...

Encouraging to see good open field tackling on a guy like Laveon Bell.  I really hope they give him some significant snaps in the next few games.
They definitely need to upgrade the LB corps if they expect to stop anybody from now on. Hopefully the guys they have waiting in the back room will be good enough to do the job.
Reply/Quote
Vigil has been a step away from making TONS of plays. I think another year in the system and he may actually pan out.

Thought he played much better in last weeks game also.

Hopefully Marvin and co. keep giving him reps.

I've been skeptical but he at least looked capable at times out there.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 08:50 PM)Derrick Wrote: They definitely need to upgrade the LB corps if they expect to stop anybody from now on. Hopefully the guys they have waiting in the back room will be good enough to do the job.

Agreed.   I would really love to get Reuben Foster to man the middle with Burfict.  And I'm hoping they will give Vigil some significant snaps.  I was surprised he looked as good as he did in the Steelers film I saw (Cincy Jungle).

If Marvin returns there's pretty much no chance we'll see Dawson.  I'm sure he has significant issues, but I'd like to see what he could do.  I may be totally off but I feel like they cut their nose to spite their face sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 08:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Vigil has been a step away from making TONS of plays. I think another year in the system and he may actually pan out.

Thought he played much better in last weeks game also.

Hopefully Marvin and co. keep giving him reps.

I've been skeptical but he at least looked capable at times out there.

The stack and shed really caught my attention.  Pouncy's a good lineman and Vigil stood him up and whipped him aside and met Bell head on (with Burfict). Just the type of play I did not think he was capable of.  Hope he continues to grow.
Reply/Quote
I have some hope for vigil. What if we had the Alabama linebacker and burfict and vigil. I'd love to see Dawson brought up too.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 09:00 PM)3wt Wrote: The stack and shed really caught my attention.  Pouncy's a good lineman and Vigil stood him up and whipped him aside and met Bell head on (with Burfict). Just the type of play I did not think he was capable of.  Hope he continues to grow.

I've been crowing for a bit recently that the Bengals need to get younger, leaner, and faster at LB.  That stack and shed on Pouncey goes to show that if Vigil can do that at less than #240, there may be some merit at going leaner and quicker.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Look forward to seeing how Vigil develops with a season under his belt.

That being said though the defense needs lots of help in the draft.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Many thanks to Maualuga for a good career. But I hope both he and Dansby are in their final season.

IMHO, O-line is #1 concern but after that D-line and LB are tied for #2.

We need a stud DE and a stud OLB or MLB. Don't know how you break it up between FA and draft ? But hopefully Vigil pans out and we can get better at LBer.
Reply/Quote
Ruben Foster would be awesome at middle linebacker. He and Burfict would be so fun to watch together. But we seriously need some major help at linebacker. Major help. Right now it's Burfict and that's it. Nothing even average next to Burfict. We definitely need a big time player next to Burfict.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2016, 09:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've been crowing for a bit recently that the Bengals need to get younger, leaner, and faster at LB.  That stack and shed on Pouncey goes to show that if Vigil can do that at less than #240, there may be some merit at going leaner and quicker.

I was honestly surprised.  Obviously a lot of factorsgo onto making a good linebacker,  but I did not think he had the phy architecture to make that type of play.  Very encouraging.  And yes we need a faster group at that position.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2016, 03:15 PM)3wt Wrote: I was honestly surprised.  Obviously a lot of factorsgo onto making a good linebacker,  but I did not think he had the phy architecture to make that type of play.  Very encouraging.  And yes we need a faster group at that position.
Fast enough and skilled enough to cover short passes over the middle. DUH?
Smirk
Reply/Quote