Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jake Fisher?
(12-21-2016, 01:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is exactly what everyone was saying about Andre Smith after his second season.

Also I feel sorry for people who can not learn how to spell Ogbuehi.

When he becomes a valuable contributor to the team and stops playing like a pile of poo ill learn to spell his name.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 07:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: 1st Round investment over a 2nd round investment....       Ogb was ready to play at the end of last year.   Not everyone can switch sides that well I guess. and they wanted to get him on the field to develop without benching whitworth.

Well.....they're even dumber than I thought.  We're nearing mental disability here.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 11:43 AM)bengals67 Wrote: he did not whiff at blocks

I think most of the pressure on Dalton during the game came up the middle but I will stand to be corrected.

Very hard to understand why in the world they stuck with Og the whole season.

Even harder to understand why Bodine is still the center.

I think the answer is, quite simply, Andrew Whitworth. He is too good to not start at left tackle, and even though Ced is a natural LT apparently they thought his athleticism so superior to Fisher's that he could do a better job out of position. A miscalculation, it would appear. and hopefully Fisher proves he can do the job and lock down the spot now that he is being given the chance. 
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 08:49 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Oggieboggie has potential flipping burgers.  As for playing professional football I've seen enough to know.  He has nothing that I want in a nfl tackle.  The faster we move on the better

Agree with that.  He's a bust but will stick around because of his draft position and contract.  He's really, really bad and has no business on the field protecting our highest commodity.

Alexander should be fired....immediately.
Reply/Quote
but about Fisher he was gonna be our 1st round pick had Ogb not still been sitting there or at least was in consideration
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 06:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: Andre was out of shape.....but I don't recall him ever looking as bad as Ogbuehi.  Og is one of the worst RTs I've ever seen....he quits on plays to boot.

All I know is that the fans were talking about Dre exactly the way they are talking about Ogbuehi right now.  Everyone said he was a complete bust who did not care enough about the game to get in shape.  There was no hope for him, and every other team in the league would cut him and fire Paul Alexander for drafting him.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 01:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All I know is that the fans were talking about Dre exactly the way they are talking about Ogbuehi right now.  Everyone said he was a complete bust who did not care enough about the game to get in shape.  There was no hope for him, and every other team in the league would cut him and fire Paul Alexander for drafting him.

I don't doubt that.....but I never knew Paul had any say back then.  Of course, that was before I joined the message board, I think.  I remember Dre being at least serviceable, albeit out of shape.  Ogbuehi has looked lost out there.  I hope he "gets it", but man, he looked REALLY bad.  That's not what really concerned me though, leaving him out there to fail as long as they did was real unnerving.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 02:48 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I didn't get a chance to watch the game, so....

How did Fisher look at RT?  I'm assuming it went ok since I didn't see too many negative posts regarding his play.

Played pretty good and Lap agrees.

Made me feel better about RT but we still need to bring in a Vet in FA next year for insurance.

One game. But atleast it wasn't like the Og was out there..
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 02:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: I don't doubt that.....but I never knew Paul had any say back then.  Of course, that was before I joined the message board, I think.  I remember Dre being at least serviceable, albeit out of shape.  Ogbuehi has looked lost out there.  I hope he "gets it", but man, he looked REALLY bad.  That's not what really concerned me though, leaving him out there to fail as long as they did was real unnerving.

There is nothing I can say to defend Ogbuehi's play this year.

I think the coaches thought he would "learn on the job" after not getting any reps in training camp.  There are some things that can only be learned through getting reps, and Og did not just look weak and slow, he also looked lost and confused by even simple stunts.  Unfortunately he just did not seem to get any better even after playing a few games.

I am willing to give Ogbuehi one more chance if he can have a full healthy training camp nest year, but he has to improve every aspect of his game i.e. technique, functional strength, and game awareness.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 03:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is nothing I can say to defend Ogbuehi's play this year.

I think the coaches thought he would "learn on the job" after not getting any reps in training camp.  There are some things that can only be learned through getting reps, and Og did not just look weak and slow, he also looked lost and confused by even simple stunts.  Unfortunately he just did not seem to get any better even after playing a few games.

I am willing to give Ogbuehi one more chance if he can have a full healthy training camp nest year, but he has to improve every aspect of his game i.e. technique, functional strength, and game awareness.

What gets me even more than strength, technique, etc. is his disengaging 1 or 1.5 seconds into nearly every play. Sure some of those were getting beat. But there's also many plays where he's in decent position and he just flat out quits well before the play is over.

The weight room isn't going to fix that one bit, neither is technique. He has to want to play football at the top level and right now it doesn't really appear his heart is in it.

He has major bust written all over him.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 03:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is nothing I can say to defend Ogbuehi's play this year.

You're most likely right about that thought process of the coaches, but damn, they should have pulled the plug sooner.

Like you said, he looked completely lost out there.  That's a little more concerning than being weak or slow.  You gotta give a 1st rounder another chance, obviously, but if he can't step it up by next season, I'd cut bait.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 03:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: What gets me even more than strength, technique, etc. is his disengaging 1 or 1.5 seconds into nearly every play. Sure some of those were getting beat. But there's also many plays where he's in decent position and he just flat out quits well before the play is over.

The weight room isn't going to fix that one bit, neither is technique. He has to want to play football at the top level and right now it doesn't really appear his heart is in it.

He has major bust written all over him.

Yes, the lack of fight was another point of consternation for me.....he just flat out scares me.....but probably not a 1/4 as bad as he does Andy! Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 01:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All I know is that the fans were talking about Dre exactly the way they are talking about Ogbuehi right now.  Everyone said he was a complete bust who did not care enough about the game to get in shape.  There was no hope for him, and every other team in the league would cut him and fire Paul Alexander for drafting him.

first couple seasons andre kept hurting his foot and missing games due to what was probly being over weight...    that was what we were down on on dre... Ogbuehi has a whole new set of issues.
Reply/Quote
As to Andre, I think his contract situation and pre-draft shenanigans left him vulnerable to a lot of criticism that didn't have a lot to do with his play. IIRC, he was one of the highest rated football players coming out of high school and an absolute, undisputed monster at every level he'd played on.

I never really care about a RT being fat. Willie Anderson was one of the best ever to play the position, and he came in to training camp looking like an orca almost every year he played. As a Bengal fan, I've come to appreciate having a blob on the right side. Can't say I'm a big fan of the new, leaner versions they've been drafting here lately. These guys look nothing like Bengals RTs over the last (nearly) 2 decades, and the predecessor were both pretty good to great.
Reply/Quote
Dre was never shitty. Just always hurt. The minute he stepped on the field you can tell her was going to be solid. Og just sucks ass
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 05:56 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Dre was never shitty.  Just always hurt.  The minute he stepped on the field you can tell her was going to be solid.  Og just sucks ass

In a nutshell.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 05:56 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Dre was never shitty.  Just always hurt.  The minute he stepped on the field you can tell her was going to be solid.  Og just sucks ass

(12-22-2016, 08:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In a nutshell.

Revisionist history.

Everyone was saying dre was hopeless just like they are saying about Og right now.  If ogbuehi does develop into a decent player you all will be denying that you ever doubted him.

That is the way it always works.  No one here will admit that they ever called Justin Smith a bum, or claimed hall was too slow to be a good cornerback, or whitworth could not handle speed rushers and needed to be moved to guard.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 07:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: When he becomes a valuable contributor to the team and stops playing like a pile of poo ill learn to spell his name.

Okay.  But I still feel sorry that it is so hard for you.  I was able to spell his name before he took a single snap.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2016, 03:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Revisionist history.

Everyone was saying dre was hopeless just like they are saying about Og right now.  If ogbuehi does develop into a decent player you all will be denying that you ever doubted him.

That is the way it always works.  No one here will admit that they ever called Justin Smith a bum, or claimed hall was too slow to be a good cornerback, or whitworth could not handle speed rushers and needed to be moved to guard.

I dunno man, I've seen plenty eat crow on DreK and Maualuga on here, myself included.....although Rey still can't cover me. LMAO

Reply/Quote
Maualuga blow balls. Always has. I can count on one hand every impact play he's ever made here. As for Ogboogoe I'm a decent speller but his name is definitely harder to spell let's not act like it's a common last name. I'm hoping he gets cUT soon so I don't wanna learn to spell his name anyways.
Reply/Quote