Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After game thoughts
Im glad they won but I didn't see anything I wanted to see this game except the coaching staff is still clueless. I know Marvin Lewis by now and this team. Let's just go back 1 year. Where RT Cedric Ohbugi was sent out there till the wheels fell off then they decided to do some other stuff with the line and it magically got better and they won a few more games. Cody core didn't get to play till we were out of it. Now this year I'm seeing the same frustrating stuff. I know for sure TJ Johnson would even be a upgrade over Russell Bodine but you're to stupid to put him at center , as for the tackles ,if the owner and coach was in it to win it,you'd go get a offensive tackle just like you would if one got hurt and you had too. Nope you'll keep putting them out there till the wheels come off, no biggie. I'm not a Dalton lover but I can't say anything about Dalton today because he really did get no time back there,and he actually stood in there for one and threw a td and didn't bail like usual.

As for our running back situation. Who's game plan is it to give Hill the start, let him have the first drive then pull him till the second half pretty much. I don't think I've ever seen a starter used like that lol it's straight goofy,it has to be Marvins football genius game plan. Also as I watched the 1988 Bengals on YouTube the other day I see that there was always two backs in the backfield and one was always blocking. With our offense now there is never a blocker along with this bad o line.

With the receivers ,I'm glad they are using Malone atleast! He's got height and speed for the deep ball. But I'm afraid they will just pull him when core and Boyd are healthy. As for Ross I think he's just in Marvins dog house ,Merv is lying about him not being in the game plan he had a couple snaps ,one he was faked too,and another Dalton was rushed and it was a hard throw to the sideline,Ross came out for the game immediately. Marvin is a moron and needs to go,he refuses to use 1st rounders and he is way to hard on them. Why even draft the guy if you didn't trust him. Oh that's right you never plan on using first rounders so why even get excited for them anymore? I would not be surprised if they IR ross this week and just say he's injured ,when he's not just so they don't have to keep explaining why they don't want him to play.

Jordan Evans I wish would get more playing time. Other then that I like the defense ,except if we have to face a beast run team like coming up. Vontaze is the only enforcer in the run game.

My conclusion ,I'm scared of Jacksonville lol I have little faith the coaching staff gets things together by next Sunday when they havnt all season.they only make changes when we are out of it,it seems then suddenly they do right . Mind blowing. If they can somehow blow my mind and beat Jacksonville, I'll be more optimistic on the playoffs but still doubtful we would go far. This team is just so frustrating ,I'm thinking about just picking up a second team in the eagles or just start involving myself in other sports. I see a lot of fans are just mind blown with the thinking of this coaching staff. Hopefully it ends after this year.
Reply/Quote
Yesterday's win made me feel crappy like other Bengal wins in the past have.

The worst was the one play where a Colt's defender ran past a Bengal linemen like he was a cheerleader and slammed Andy (legally) into the turf. I mean I think I saw Andy picking grass out of his mouth guard. If I'm a coach or an owner or something like that, the player or players responsible get cut or at least benched. Isn't that one of the basic tenet, ironclad rules of football, to PROTECT YOUR QUARTERBACK?

Plus, watching play after play of one-yard run here, two yard run there was flat out maddening and it's related to how too many defensive players have too many free shots at Andy. Andy, Gio, and the Bengal defense deserve a line that at least does what it's supposed to in protecting the QB and winning in the trenches to establish some sort of run game.

If the status quo continues and it results in another losing record and Andy walks, and AJ leaves with him, the Bengals revert to the 1990s and I won't watch anymore. Seriously!
Reply/Quote
I have reached the point where I feel sorry for players on this team because of the inept coaching. Even a good DC like Paulie G is ruined because his unit sees the offense laying eggs time and time again and it ruins anything that they have in terms of swagger and attitude.

Tony Pike had an interesting question about Dalton: Can he not, in his 7th year, go to his coach and say "hey, I'm getting killed back there. We need to slow their rush and get Ross involved. He needs at least 5 quick targets a game to pull those defenders back a bit". Doesn't Andy have that authority by this point?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 04:43 AM)bengalsturntup5532 Wrote: As for our running back situation. Who's game plan is it to give Hill the start, let him have the first drive then pull him till the second half pretty much. I don't think I've ever seen a starter used like that lol it's straight goofy,it has to be Marvins football genius game plan.

I'm firmly convinces this is just a marketing play for Hill, so when he isn't resigned here, or in case he was traded before the deadline, he could be marketed as a starting running back. Probably Mervin's way of letting him go without it being so obvious he is 3rd string here.
Reply/Quote
On a brighter note, it appears we have a fine young CB!
Reply/Quote
William Jackson has been the highlight of the last couple weeks to me. I think we have our future #1 CB and that is a good thing for sure.

My growing problem with Dalton is that when a play breaks down he doesn't look to make anything out of it, often choosing to throw it out of bounds over anything. There were a couple times yesterday where when he is under duress after escaping he immediately slings it out of bounds. He did take off once, but on multiple occasions he could have but chose to throw it out of bounds or towards a covered WR. One time yesterday he had 20 yards in front of him and instead of running he threw a badly under thrown ball to Green. Dalton can run, he needs to show it more to keep defenses honest when he gets out on the edge.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 09:58 AM)Au165 Wrote: William Jackson has been the highlight of the last couple weeks to me. I think we have our future #1 CB and that is a good thing for sure.

My growing problem with Dalton is that when a play breaks down he doesn't look to make anything out of it, often choosing to throw it out of bounds over anything. There were a couple times yesterday where when he is under duress after escaping he immediately slings it out of bounds. He did take off once, but on multiple occasions he could have but chose to throw it out of bounds or towards a covered WR. One time yesterday he had 20 yards in front of him and instead of running he threw a badly under thrown ball to Green. Dalton can run, he needs to show it more to keep defenses honest when he gets out on the edge.

I don't know that his ankle is good enough to run on yet.....
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 10:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't know that his ankle is good enough to run on yet.....

Two things, 1. he has been doing this for two years now and 2. it was good enough when he ran about 15 yards around the end the one time he actually did decide to run. I'm not saying take unecessary risks, but your first reaction after escaping has to be to look down field and if not there take off, it can't be okay I escaped now lets throw it into the stands.
Reply/Quote
It looked like two teams fighting for the top pick of the draft. Not a win to write home about. Dalton being mauled and devoured, barely able to get up by the 4th quarter should send chills down all spines. He won't last the season.

Jacksonville will likely knock him out for the season.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
No QB - including Brady or Rodgers could do anything with this beyond awful offensive line.

Is there a worse running attack in the NFL now?

How many times does Dalton need to get clobbered by a rush straight up the middle before we get rid of Bodine.

Keep in mind the Colts are one of the two of three worst defenses in the league.

How can anyone in their right mind not think that time has passed by Paul Alexander.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 10:21 AM)jj22 Wrote: It looked like two teams fighting for the top pick of the draft. Not a win to write home about. Dalton being mauled and devoured, barely able to get up by the 4th quarter should send chills down all spines. He won't last the season.

Jacksonville will likely knock him out for the season.

Disagree on this, and here's why.
The primary thing the Bengals organization cares about right now is not being last place.
The Browns and 49ers will be competing for top pick in the draft.
Honestly, this win against the Colts probably hurt the Bengals more because it will give them (false) hope that they can actually maybe make the playoffs this year. But of course they also probably won't trade for a LT because "development of current OTs."
This was always intended to be a grooming year. I just hope next year is the year the Bengals actually try to go all in. Won't happen, but that's the hope anyway.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 10:47 AM)bengals67 Wrote: No QB - including Brady or Rodgers could do anything with this beyond awful offensive line.

Is there a worse running attack in the NFL now?

How many times does Dalton need to get clobbered by a rush straight up the middle before we get rid of Bodine.

Keep in mind the Colts are one of the two of three worst defenses in the league.

How can anyone in their right mind not think that time has passed by Paul Alexander.

Both of those QBs you mentioned are among the best to ever play the game. Rodgers has been lighting the NFL up behind suspect NFL lines for years now.

Seattle is in contention for having a worse line than us, yet Wilson is still making huge plays game after game. I'm not saying it's all Andy's fault or anything, but let's quit acting like QBs can't get past poor lines. Great ones can.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 04:43 AM)bengalsturntup5532 Wrote: Im glad they won but I didn't see anything I wanted to see this game except the coaching staff is still clueless. I know Marvin Lewis by now and this team. Let's just go back 1 year. Where RT Cedric Ohbugi was sent out there till the wheels fell off then they decided to do some other stuff with the line and it magically got better and they won a few more games. Cody core didn't get to play till we were out of it. Now this year I'm seeing the same frustrating stuff. I know for sure TJ Johnson would even be a upgrade over Russell Bodine but you're to stupid to put him at center , as for the tackles ,if the owner and coach was in it to win it,you'd go get a offensive tackle just like you would if one got hurt and you had too. Nope you'll keep putting them out there till the wheels come off, no biggie. I'm not a Dalton lover but I can't say anything about Dalton today because he really did get no time back there,and he actually stood in there for one and threw a td and didn't bail like usual.

As for our running back situation. Who's game plan is it to give Hill the start, let him have the first drive then pull him till the second half pretty much. I don't think I've ever seen a starter used like that lol it's straight goofy,it has to be Marvins football genius game plan. Also as I watched the 1988 Bengals on YouTube the other day I see that there was always two backs in the backfield and one was always blocking. With our offense now there is never a blocker along with this bad o line.

With the receivers ,I'm glad they are using Malone atleast! He's got height and speed for the deep ball. But I'm afraid they will just pull him when core and Boyd are healthy. As for Ross I think he's just in Marvins dog house ,Merv is lying about him not being in the game plan he had a couple snaps ,one he was faked too,and another Dalton was rushed and it was a hard throw to the sideline,Ross came out for the game immediately.  Marvin is a moron and needs to go,he refuses to use 1st rounders and he is way to hard on them. Why even draft the guy if you didn't trust him. Oh that's right you never plan on using first rounders so why even get excited for them anymore? I would not be surprised if they IR ross this week and just say he's injured ,when he's not just so they don't have to keep explaining why they don't want him to play.

Jordan Evans I wish would get more playing time. Other then that I like the defense ,except if we have to face a beast run team like coming up. Vontaze is the only enforcer in the run game.

My conclusion ,I'm scared of Jacksonville lol I have little faith the coaching staff gets things together by next Sunday when they havnt all season.they only make changes when we are out of it,it seems then suddenly they do right . Mind blowing. If they can somehow blow my mind and beat Jacksonville, I'll be more optimistic on the playoffs but still doubtful we would go far. This team is just so frustrating ,I'm thinking about just picking up a second team in the eagles or just start involving myself in other sports. I see a lot of fans are just mind blown with the thinking of this coaching staff. Hopefully it ends after this year.

You should be scared of Jacksonville.  They will most likely pound it down our throats like Shitsburgh did.  If you're planning on getting another team, I'd just go ahead and do it.  With the Browns in control, you'll likely never see a champion in the Queen City.  Some of us were fortunate to at least see a couple Super Bowls.....it's why we're hooked, lol.  If you didn't watch through the 90s, there's really no reason to put yourself through it.  The last two weeks, I have watched the races, and flipped back here and there to see what they were up to.  This week, the race started at 3:00, so I watched into the third quarter all the way through.  This o line is an EMBARRASSMENT.  It's hard to say anything about the RBs, the WRs not getting separation, or the QB.  These pukes up front can't even hold a block long enough to let a play develop.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
This team's coaching is so ridiculous, it's unbelievable.

- For some reason, week after week, Hill starts the first series and gets 1-2 carries, then doesn't play again until he starts the second half. What POSSIBLE explanation could there be for this? Marvin: MIXON GETS A CHANCE TO LEARN HURDURRR. Any wise franchise would trade this guy.

- WJIII has played lockdown defense.. and yet, AGAIN, we don't start him. I'm amazed that Hilton didn't torch Pacman, because the ONLY CB we have that can keep up with him is WJIII. If the Colts line wasn't so bad, I don't know what would've happened to us.

This win looked so pathetic. Not happy at all with it. The sad part is, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we pick up only one O-lineman this offseason, and re-sign Marvin for another 2 years of mediocrity.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 11:10 AM)thillan Wrote: Both of those QBs you mentioned are among the best to ever play the game. Rodgers has been lighting the NFL up behind suspect NFL lines for years now.

Seattle is in contention for having a worse line than us, yet Wilson is still making huge plays game after game. I'm not saying it's all Andy's fault or anything, but let's quit acting like QBs can't get past poor lines. Great ones can.

Brady struggles with intense pressure, always has.  Rodgers and Wilson are two totally different types of QBs.  They can play around bad lines due to their mobility, ability to escape the pressure, and the fact that defenses respect their ability to run.  It makes them harder to defend.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 11:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: Brady struggles with intense pressure, always has.  Rodgers and Wilson are two totally different types of QBs.  They can play around bad lines due to their mobility, ability to escape the pressure, and the fact that defenses respect their ability to run.  It makes them harder to defend.

I have no doubt in my mind that if you flipped Dalton for Brady, we would be much better immediately. He's incredible. But again, it's not the most fair comparison.

Exactly. It sounds like you are agreeing with me that Rodgers and Wilson would still experience success with this line. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 11:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: Brady struggles with intense pressure, always has.  Rodgers and Wilson are two totally different types of QBs.  They can play around bad lines due to their mobility, ability to escape the pressure, and the fact that defenses respect their ability to run.  It makes them harder to defend.

Brady is one of the best ever at climbing a pocket and side stepping pressure inside of it. The other thing Brady can do is check the plays and get into a better play pre snap when it's apparent pressure is coming. Brady would be good behind our line, but then again he is the greatest to ever play so it's to be expected.

Side note, Dalton doesn't appear to read presnap pressure well at all. There were times when they showed 6 at the line and he knew his back was releasing, but rather than keeping his back in for protection he let him go out into the pattern. At least to a check and release rather than going straight into the route.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 11:24 AM)thillan Wrote: I have no doubt in my mind that if you flipped Dalton for Brady, we would be much better immediately. He's incredible. But again, it's not the most fair comparison.

Exactly. It sounds like you are agreeing with me that Rodgers and Wilson would still experience success with this line. 

Of course they would.  Although, I have to say, I firmly believe we have the very worst line in all of football.  I'm no expert, but I played up front, and coached it a little.  They SUCK.

Here's the thing.  Unless you have a guy like Pig Pen, Wilson, or Rodgers, you BETTER invest in, and build your line.  If you don't, you'll get what we have here in Cincy.

As for Brady, I often watch him stand in the pocket for days....without even having to move.  I could make my reads with time like that, let alone a NFL caliber QB.  Remember when we beat them at PBS a few years ago?  Do you remember HOW we beat them?  It was a healthy dose of Geno Atkins & Co. in his face all game long.  We would be better with him, but probably not as much as you think.  Now, had you said we get Bill Belichick we get MUCH better immediately, I'd probably 100% agree.  Brady is working under a genius, and with a real NFL level front office as well.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 11:30 AM)Au165 Wrote: Brady is one of the best ever at climbing a pocket and side stepping pressure inside of it. The other thing Brady can do is check the plays and get into a better play pre snap when it's apparent pressure is coming. Brady would be good behind our line, but then again he is the greatest to ever play so it's to be expected.

Side note, Dalton doesn't appear to read presnap pressure well at all. There were times when they showed 6 at the line and he knew his back was releasing, but rather than keeping his back in for protection he let him go out into the pattern. At least to a check and release rather than going straight into the route.

He is good at climbing a pocket, but our "pocket" has Russell Bodine in the middle.....there often isn't anywhere to climb to.

I see that some, but he used to excel at it.  I wonder what has happened?

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 11:34 AM)Wyche Wrote: He is good at climbing a pocket, but our "pocket" has Russell Bodine in the middle.....there often isn't anywhere to climb to.

I see that some, but he used to excel at it.  I wonder what has happened?

If you mean what happened to Dalton, I think he is just shell shocked now. He wants to get rid of the ball as quick as possible to limit the hits when he does get away from pressure. The truth is I think Dalton is what he is now. A young guy can come in and keep his eyes down field because he gets whacked and jumps back up. At 30 Dalton isn't going to pop up like he used too. 
I have been a big Dalton supporter, but at this point I think a new coach needs to come in with a new QB and start fresh. 
Reply/Quote