Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After the Bengals win the Super Bowl
I'm just wondering, after the Bengals win the Super Bowl this year, will they get to open the season at home next year?

I know they opened the season at home last year and closed on the road, which was the first time they opened the season at home in something like six or seven years.

But it seems every year the Bengals open and close on the road when I thought the rules were if a team opens at home they get to close on the road or if the open on the road they get to close at home and that it's supposed to rotate and make it fair for fans and the team.

It just seems that the Bengals always draw the short straw with the schedule like the game in London being a home game, always opening on the road and closing on the road, bad calls against the Squeellers(I had to throw that in).

It's just odd to me that Mike Brown never makes a stink about unfair treatment of his team.
Reply/Quote
To me it's like who really cares? Maybe the fans but I doubt the players.

Every team gets 8 home and 8 away games. The goal is to win as many of those games as possible to qualify for the post-season. Irregardless of whether you open or close at home the goal is still the same. Heck, if I were a player I'd actually try to make a positive out of opening on the road; if you win it jump starts your road win goals and gives you something to look forward to for your home opening day - the town will be more pumped than if you were opening 0-0 and not knowing what you have. Of course if you lose that puts a little more pressure on you to get back to .500.

Again, to me it's irrelevant. I kind of like getting the Colts with Andrew Luck coming back after a long layout. Beats Balt, Pitt or even Cleveland on the road IMO.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Before they win the SB they'll have to overcome a lot including, but not limited to the many conspiracy theories that say only the league designated teams ever get to even go to the show much less win it..  I lean towards the league is fixed side, but fans are free to believe whatever they like.  
And why am I still a fan if I believe the league is fixed? Well, I like a good conspiracy theory . It adds intrigue. The lame theories don't do much for me..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 10:05 AM)grampahol Wrote: Before they win the SB they'll have to overcome a lot including, but not limited to the many conspiracy theories that say only the league designated teams ever get to even go to the show much less win it..  I lean towards the league is fixed side, but fans are free to believe whatever they like.  

So the league passed on having a home team host the Super Bowl?

And if you think for a second they wanted a backup an in the Super Bowl you are out of your mind
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 10:07 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: So the league passed on having a home team host the Super Bowl?

And if you think for a second they wanted a backup an in the Super Bowl you are out of your mind
That adds a level of diniability.. See? It worked on you.. lol

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 10:12 AM)grampahol Wrote: That adds a level of diniability.. See? It worked on you.. lol

Lol
Reply/Quote
I've said it before, but I don't think having to play the season opener on the road is necessarily a bad thing. It's the first real game of the year so you know these guys are going to be chomping at the bit regardless of where they play. The next week, you would most likely play your home opener so that's another reason to be even more jacked being that it's the first home game and the crowd will be nuts.

Or am I talking out of my ass (again)?
Reply/Quote
Back to conspiracy theoryville for a second (I'm not trying to hijack the thread ) I follow Brian Tuohy because he connects the dots with this stuff instead of making completely baseless accusations which isn't to say there aren't plenty of crackpot theories out there . Indeed there are probably more baseless conspiracy theories online against the league than for the league, but Brian backs his stuff up and is willing to take the heat. Most of the accusations online just throw out some trash nonsense based on one or two games. Brian has tracked the dirty deeds for many years even back to the league beginnings.. 

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 10:32 AM)grampahol Wrote: Back to conspiracy theoryville for a second (I'm not trying to hijack the thread ) I follow Brian Tuohy because he connects the dots with this stuff instead of making completely baseless accusations which isn't to say there aren't plenty of crackpot theories out there . Indeed there are probably more baseless conspiracy theories online against the league than for the league, but Brian backs his stuff up and is willing to take the heat. Most of the accusations online just throw out some trash nonsense based on one or two games. Brian has tracked the dirty deeds for many years even back to the league beginnings.. 

No, no, no, the thread is for hijacking, that's why the favoritism remark.

Ok

In 2015, Dalton is having an MVP season but "Breaks" his thumb which was most likely only just bruised so the Bengals have to start McCarron. The word came down from the league that the "Bengals are NOT allowed to win the Super Bowl" and when the Bengals got close to even winning that playoff game, the league stepped in and the refs took over. The rest is history.

In 2005, they went as far as forcing Palmer to have "Fake" knee surgery and played like Palmer "Healed fast"...remember that?

I'm just saying
Reply/Quote
Why would anyone give a toss about opening at home after waiting on pins and needles for opening at home in 2017?
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 11:31 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Why would anyone give a toss about opening at home after waiting on pins and needles for opening at home in 2017?

Roger that.  We all saw how that 2017 home opener went.  What a precursor to a lousy season.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 11:31 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Why would anyone give a toss about opening at home after waiting on pins and needles for opening at home in 2017?

But, but, but ,but fans got to see them opening at home which was much more important than actually winning n stuff..  
So the question begs.. Would you rather see them open at home and play like the little sisters of the poor OR open on the road and mop the floor with any opponent? 
Tough one , huh?

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 12:31 PM)grampahol Wrote: But, but, but ,but fans got to see them opening at home which was much more important than actually winning n stuff..  
So the question begs.. Would you rather see them open at home and play like the little sisters of the poor OR open on the road and mop the floor with any opponent? 
Tough one , huh?

I've only been to Cincinnati once in my life, so they could open every season in Lower Upper Uppington, for all I care.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 09:49 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: To me it's like who really cares?  Maybe the fans but I doubt the players.

Every team gets 8 home and 8 away games.  The goal is to win as many of those games as possible to qualify for the post-season.  Irregardless of whether you open or close at home the goal is still the same.  Heck, if I were a player I'd actually try to make a positive out of opening on the road; if you win it jump starts your road win goals and gives you something to look forward to for your home opening day - the town will be more pumped than if you were opening 0-0 and not knowing what you have.  Of course if you lose that puts a little more pressure on you to get back to .500.

Again, to me it's irrelevant.  I kind of like getting the Colts with Andrew Luck coming back after a long layout.  Beats Balt, Pitt or even Cleveland on the road IMO.

If i was a player i would just use it for added motivation...

But it is hard to not see the clear bias against our team. We never end the season against the Browns, it is always
against the Ravens or Steelers which is a little strange. Should have some change up here and then. Whenever we
play the Steelers there are atleast 10 shitty calls or no calls going against us for them.

But in the end the players and coaches need to use these things as added motivation like how Reggie Miller played
away games in the NBA. Let the hate fuel you.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 10:17 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I've said it before, but I don't think having to play the season opener on the road is necessarily a bad thing. It's the first real game of the year so you know these guys are going to be chomping at the bit regardless of where they play. The next week, you would most likely play your home opener so that's another reason to be even more jacked being that it's the first home game and the crowd will be nuts.

Or am I talking out of my ass (again)?

i'd rather have Indy "on the road"
& Balt at home than vise versa....
maybe, just maybe we can start out 2-0....

then go on the road back to back weeks at NFC South teams Panthers & falcons....
Reply/Quote
It is actually an advantage to open on the road. Road games are tough and travel is tiring, but the team will never be fresher than opening day.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 01:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If i was a player i would just use it for added motivation...

But it is hard to not see the clear bias against our team. We never end the season against the Browns, it is always
against the Ravens or Steelers which is a little strange. Should have some change up here and then. Whenever we
play the Steelers there are atleast 10 shitty calls or no calls going against us for them.

But in the end the players and coaches need to use these things as added motivation like how Reggie Miller played
away games in the NBA. Let the hate fuel you.

I could see the Ravens fans saying the same, "we never close against the Browns, it's always the Steelers or Bengals".  The NFL wants match ups that may decide the division.  The Browns are not in that category as of late.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 11:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is actually an advantage to open on the road.  Road games are tough and travel is tiring, but the team will never be fresher than opening day.

Agree and plus the Bengals are used to it by now. 

Like putting on an old hat. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 09:46 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I could see the Ravens fans saying the same, "we never close against the Browns, it's always the Steelers or Bengals".  The NFL wants match ups that may decide the division.  The Browns are not in that category as of late.

Usually against us at PBS it seems. 

Which means steelers usually get Browns. go figure.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Typically, after the Bengals win the Superbowl, I wake up and start getting ready for work..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote