Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After watching the Chiefs and Raiders...
Does anyone think that pitt's 19 point explosion was really that impressive? Oakland basically threw bomb after bomb and had 500 yards offense. They (Oakland) don't have anywhere near the defense, but KC sure looked beatable last night as well. Two straight losses, and to AFC teams.

Amari Cooper, averaging all of 30 yards a game, went off for 200 plus yards...And also had a huge PI penalty early that led to another TD, about a 50 yarder.

I honestly don't think either KC or Oakland are going anywhere with those pathetic defenses....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Since it was pouring down lastnight and I had nothing else to do, I watched it. KC is doing it's yearly thing. Getting off to fast start and then petering out. I was amazed that there was 2 offensive PI called in that game. My first thought was, I hope we can get some of those this Sunday! I wasn't to impressed with KC defense. Oakland could pass on them whenever they wanted to, receivers were pretty wide open and backs found some room to run. I know Carr's number looked good but at times he looked like crap. Not to open up anything, but I was thinking, Dalton would have been Lange's and Romo's whipping boy last night....
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 05:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Does anyone think that pitt's 19 point explosion was really that impressive?   Oakland basically threw bomb after bomb and had 500 yards offense.  They (Oakland) don't have anywhere near the defense, but KC sure looked beatable last night as well.  Two straight losses, and to AFC teams.  

Amari Cooper, averaging all of 30 yards a game, went off for 200 plus yards...And also had a huge PI penalty early that led to another TD, about a 50 yarder.

I honestly don't think either KC or Oakland are going anywhere with those pathetic defenses....

I admire your belief in these Bengals, but I just want to point out a few things:

1. The Steelers "explosion" wasn't an explosion. It was a Le'veon Bell explosion that was complimented by a lucky tipped pass that went to the house. But that offense does feel like they are about to blow the cap off, which sucks because it happens to be Cincy who's coming to town.

2. Both of those teams are FAR more dangerous on offense than us right now. The Raiders were in a slump, and they played the way they are supposed to. This was expected of them, and came late. Cooper has been dealing with some struggles, but he is no push over. Dude is legit, and he stated before the game that the ball was going to find him.

3. While both have pathetic defenses, they have an offense to make up for it. I'm not sold on OAK going to the playoffs yet, but KC is primed to make a good run this year. I'm not sure who I would give a better chance to between OAK and CIN, but my gut tells me OAK because they have a QB that steps on the defenses throat when it comes time. 

4. Nobody in the NFL is dominant this year, and minus the injuries, I love it. Injuries obviously play a big part, but man we are even seeing the Jets play good football. So, even with the Bengals poor start, they still have a decent chance at making a run. 

This game on Sunday is HUGE. I'm excited.
Reply/Quote
Anyone feel that Martavis Bryant is (somewhat) overhyped and really isn't any better than, say, Marvin Jones?
His best season was 765 yards and 8 TD. Granted it was in 11 games, but you can't play the "What if?" card every year.
Marvin Jones was also just as much a vertical threat and has put up about as good or better stats than Bryant.

To me, Bryant isn't some world beater who would be a 1200+ yard WR if he wasn't in the shadow of Antonio Brown.
He's just a good WR2 that does well against CB2s and complements his offense well behind a stud WR1.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 01:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Anyone feel that Martavis Bryant is (somewhat) overhyped and really isn't any better than, say, Marvin Jones?
His best season was 765 yards and 8 TD. Granted it was in 11 games, but you can't play the "What if?" card every year.
Marvin Jones was also just as much a vertical threat and has put up about as good or better stats than Bryant.

To me, Bryant isn't some world beater who would be a 1200+ yard WR if he wasn't in the shadow of Antonio Brown.
He's just a good WR2 that does well against CB2s and complements his offense well behind a stud WR1.

Yeah man, I have him on my fantasy teams and he sucks eggs!

That being said, I’m benching him this week which means he will go for 2 bills and 3 tds.

Sorry in advance.

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 01:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Anyone feel that Martavis Bryant is (somewhat) overhyped and really isn't any better than, say, Marvin Jones?

I would agree that Bryant is a bit overrated, but I would disagree that Marvin Jones (who I feel is more overrated) is just as much a vertical threat.

Bryant
27 games
93 catches (16.6 yards per catch
4 catches of 40-49 yards
3 catches of 50-69 yards
0 catches of 70-79 yards
3 catches of 80+ yards
Averages a 40+ yard catch every 8.5 catches

Marvin Jones
64 games
209 catches (14.1 yards per catch)
8 catches of 40-49 yards
1 catch of 50-69 yards
1 catch of 70-79 yards
0 catches of 80+ yards
Averages a 40+ yard catch every 20.9 catches

Not only does Bryant go deep far more often, he also goes longer when he does. (That's what she said)
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 12:55 PM)thillan Wrote: I admire your belief in these Bengals, but I just want to point out a few things:

1. The Steelers "explosion" wasn't an explosion. It was a Le'veon Bell explosion that was complimented by a lucky tipped pass that went to the house. But that offense does feel like they are about to blow the cap off, which sucks because it happens to be Cincy who's coming to town.

2. Both of those teams are FAR more dangerous on offense than us right now. The Raiders were in a slump, and they played the way they are supposed to. This was expected of them, and came late. Cooper has been dealing with some struggles, but he is no push over. Dude is legit, and he stated before the game that the ball was going to find him.

3. While both have pathetic defenses, they have an offense to make up for it. I'm not sold on OAK going to the playoffs yet, but KC is primed to make a good run this year. I'm not sure who I would give a better chance to between OAK and CIN, but my gut tells me OAK because they have a QB that steps on the defenses throat when it comes time. 

4. Nobody in the NFL is dominant this year, and minus the injuries, I love it. Injuries obviously play a big part, but man we are even seeing the Jets play good football. So, even with the Bengals poor start, they still have a decent chance at making a run. 

Sorry I still don't buy the Carr hype. He was missing wide open receivers and most of his throw were in the dirt so to speak. 
Reply/Quote

When you get suspended for entire seasons...it definitely impacts you.

He's basically a glorified deep threat. He's not a complete WR by any means.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 01:49 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Sorry I still don't buy the Carr hype. He was missing wide open receivers and most of his throw were in the dirt so to speak. 

I'm not even sure Derek Carr has "hype". He's established himself as a very good QB, and he is a bonafide CLOSER. The dude knows how to close games. Only issue is injuries.

Also sounds like a lot of those issues you just mentioned are similar to our current QB  Wink
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 01:58 PM)thillan Wrote: I'm not even sure Derek Carr has "hype". He's established himself as a very good QB, and he is a bonafide CLOSER. The dude knows how to close games. Only issue is injuries.

Also sounds like a lot of those issues you just mentioned are similar to our current QB  Wink

It sure does sound like that. Carr threw a pass to Washington that was about 3 yards behind him and hit a surprised defender following. How much crap do you think would have been heaped on you know who?

Before the season, in all the QB rankings, Carr was pretty much talked about how he was just below elite status. I like Carr but I didn't understand the lofty ranking then and still don't.
Reply/Quote
Neither of those teams are championship caliber. You have to play some semblance of defense to win it all. You will not always be able to put up 30, especially in the playoffs.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 01:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I would agree that Bryant is a bit overrated, but I would disagree that Marvin Jones (who I feel is more overrated) is just as much a vertical threat.

Bryant
27 games
93 catches (16.6 yards per catch
4 catches of 40-49 yards
3 catches of 50-69 yards
0 catches of 70-79 yards
3 catches of 80+ yards
Averages a 40+ yard catch every 8.5 catches

Marvin Jones
64 games
209 catches (14.1 yards per catch)
8 catches of 40-49 yards
1 catch of 50-69 yards
1 catch of 70-79 yards
0 catches of 80+ yards
Averages a 40+ yard catch every 20.9 catches

Not only does Bryant go deep far more often, he also goes longer when he does. (That's what she said)

If you had just said, "that's what Carson said", i would have fallen out of my chair. Wink

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 12:55 PM)thillan Wrote: I admire your belief in these Bengals, but I just want to point out a few things:

Agreed on all points, but I don't know how much of their offensive success is who they were playing.  6 yards of offense against pitt in the first half?  At home?  That's pretty pathetic.  

I can't wait for this game.  Don't want my weekend to go to quickly, but I can't wait.  
Reply/Quote
Every team in the AFC seems very beatable this season.

If the Bengals find a run game this week they could go from being the bottom half of AFC to dangerous down the stretch.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 06:32 AM)Synric Wrote: Every team in the AFC seems very beatable this season.

If the Bengals find a run game this week they could go from being the bottom half of AFC to dangerous down the stretch.

Running the ball would be huge. The missing piece.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 06:46 AM)McC Wrote: Running the ball would be huge.  The missing piece.

It would be bigly YUGE.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I saw it as a prime-time division rivalry game that both teams were trying hard to win that came down to the buzzer (or beyond, actually). Given our own penchant for going limp in that situation I'm having a hard time looking at the game as evidence that we are right up there with any AFC team. I'm a pessimist, but if we played this hard win or lose against the Steelers I bet we'd take a lot of positives from it.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 10:27 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm a pessimist, but if we played this hard win or lose against the Steelers I bet we'd take a lot of positives from it.

You must be new to these forums. If we lose, anyone talking postive will be lambasted leading to even more negativity. Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 10:31 AM)PhilHos Wrote: You must be new to these forums. If we lose, anyone talking postive will be lambasted leading to even more negativity. Whatever

That's actually a good point.  This season we've already gone from "who to take with our top 3 pick?" to "what do we do if we win the SB?"  If we lose a remotely close game to the Steelers I'm sure we'll be saying we should be 7-0 but the officials have it in for us, clearly.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 01:49 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Sorry I still don't buy the Carr hype. He was missing wide open receivers and most of his throw were in the dirt so to speak. 

I noticed that too.  Having said that, I like Carr the player, and the man.  If that was 14, we'd never hear the end of it.

As to the OP, I also noticed Reggie Nelson making big hits as usual in this game.  Man......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote