Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After years of speculation, seems us "dumb message board fans" were on to something..
This explains a lot of the uncharacteristic Bengals moves recently......

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/07/wild-card-weekend-eagles-bears-chargers-ravens-cowboys-seahawks-colts-texans

Quote:One nugget to emerge from the Bengals search: Owner Mike Brown’s kids—daughter Katie Blackburn, son-in-law Troy Blackburn and son Paul—have increasingly become more involved in running the team. Or it at least it seems that way to guys going through there. Those four, and personnel chief Duke Tobin, are the ones in the room for the interviews. Ex-Broncos head coach (and ex-Bengals secondary coach) Vance Joseph appears well-positioned, but I’ve been told by guys from Marvin Lewis’ staff not to rule out former Browns coach Hue Jackson. Remember, Bengals ownership is probably less concerned with public perception, or reaction to a hire, than anyone else in the league.

.....although, I hope those two turds are only speculation by the writer. Whatever

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 11:52 AM)Wyche Wrote: This explains a lot of the uncharacteristic Bengals moves recently......

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/07/wild-card-weekend-eagles-bears-chargers-ravens-cowboys-seahawks-colts-texans

.....although, I hope those two turds are only speculation by the writer. Whatever

I'm sure its all speculation...  because its easier to do that
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 11:56 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I'm sure its all speculation...  because its easier to do that

I'm sure hoping that is the case, and it does appear that it is.  If it was Vance or Hue, I have no idea why they wouldn't have already announced it.

The interesting part here, is that it appears a lot of people on here were right.  Mike is stepping away, and it shows with the moves they have made recently that Mike Clown never made.  Firing Zampese mid season, firing Piano Man, making trades in the draft, etc.  We may have some hope after all......

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 12:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm sure hoping that is the case, and it does appear that it is.  If it was Vance or Hue, I have no idea why they wouldn't have already announced it.

The interesting part here, is that it appears a lot of people on here were right.  Mike is stepping away, and it shows with the moves they have made recently that Mike Clown never made.  Firing Zampese mid season, firing Piano Man, making trades in the draft, etc.  We may have some hope after all......

exactly if it was hue vance simmons or lazor we would already know.

Also something to consider with these interviews is they are not just for the HC    we will likely have a 1st time HC and could be conducting interviews to find his coordinators as well. (or at least have info for the new HC to review when selecting coordinators)
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 12:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm sure hoping that is the case, and it does appear that it is.  If it was Vance or Hue, I have no idea why they wouldn't have already announced it.

Given Mike's age, he will need to delegate more and more as time goes by.

It may be that Mike wants to be alive during the transition to Katie etc.

Allow them to get on the bike and ride it with him around to see that it all goes smoothly for them.

Never giving them absolute Power but as near to absolute as possible for him to still feel comfortable and to get them ready.

Maybe letting them shape their own future while he observes & advises.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 12:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: exactly if it was hue vance simmons or lazor we would already know.

Also something to consider with these interviews is they are not just for the HC    we will likely have a 1st time HC and could be conducting interviews to find his coordinators as well. (or at least have info for the new HC to review when selecting coordinators)

Excellent point on the bolded.

To your first point, if that was the route they wanted to go, it only makes sense to go on and announce it, giving yourself a head start on assembling the rest of the staff.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 12:34 PM)depthchart Wrote: Given Mike's age, he will need to delegate more and more as time goes by.

It may be that Mike wants to be alive during the transition to Katie etc.

Allow them to get on the bike and ride it with him around to see that it all goes smoothly for them.

Never giving them absolute Power but as near to absolute as possible for him to still feel comfortable and to get them ready.

Maybe letting them shape their own future while he observes & advises.

Very well could be......after reading that this morning, I'm feeling more and more like Duke Tobin is the GM here without that title for some odd reason.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 12:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: Very well could be......after reading that this morning, I'm feeling more and more like Duke Tobin is the GM here without that title for some odd reason.

If it is true and Duke/Katie etc are making this call and they screw it up;  then what ?

They need to show that they "get it" and are on the ball by making a well thought out solid choice or we could be in for 30 more brutal years.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 12:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: Very well could be......after reading that this morning, I'm feeling more and more like Duke Tobin is the GM here without that title for some odd reason.

Duke can't have the actual title because Mike pays himself the GM salary.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 12:48 PM)depthchart Wrote: If it is true and Duke/Katie etc are making this call and they screw it up;  then what ?

They need to show that they "get it" and are on the ball by making a well thought out solid choice or we could be in for 30 more brutal years.

There's always a chance it won't work out.  However, if they go away from the same ol, same ol, then I won't complain.  At least they moved away from the status quo and tried something different.  If the new hire flops, then we will need to see how long they tolerate failure before moving on to truly evaluate how the new hierarchy operates.

Keep in mind, this "revelation" comes from the coaches that have been interviewed thus far.  It sure appears to be true.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 01:15 PM)McC Wrote: Duke can't have the actual title because Mike pays himself the GM salary.

Ha! 'tis true.....

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 12:48 PM)depthchart Wrote: If it is true and Duke/Katie etc are making this call and they screw it up;  then what ?

Duke, Katie, Troy, and Paul Brown.

Says alot alot Duke being the only non brown in the interviews.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Never thought I would say it, but if they hire either I will find a new team. These inbred mongoloids are considering replacing a guy with two coaches that have worse records. Dark days they are a coming

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 01:28 PM)Synric Wrote: Duke, Katie, Troy, and Paul Brown.

Says alot alot Duke being the only non brown in the interviews.

That's what I took from it as well.

(01-09-2019, 01:32 PM)Okeana Wrote: Never thought I would say it, but if they hire either I will find a new team.  These inbred mongoloids are considering replacing a guy with two coaches that have worse records.  Dark days they are a coming

I would be hard pressed to give a damn about the Bengals if those are the choices myself.  I just don't believe that they are the choices.  It doesn't make any sense to not go on and hire them and get to work assembling the staff if either of those are the choice.  It could be that they are a fall back if their 1st, or even 2nd or 3rd choice turns them down.

Reply/Quote

Time heals all wounds. And helps disgruntled fans cool down.

Marvin was more than a coach to then, he was part of their team. I don't think they would've fired him if he hadn't cost then tickets (again) without much hope of next season being better. If they announce a similar hire they're comfortable with but fans aren't (hue or lazor is my guess), there will be more discourse for no reason. No reason since nobody is trying to hire their pick.

From a business perspective, better to wait until at least after the playoffs when fans have cooled off some. Or, more likely, the draft, when fans tend to get more hopeful 

So that's my guess. Internal hire, announced closer to post season but already decided. Which fits with trying to get kubiak.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 01:41 PM)Benton Wrote: Time heals all wounds. And helps disgruntled fans cool down.

Marvin was more than a coach to then, he was part of their team. I don't think they would've fired him if he hadn't cost then tickets (again) without much hope of next season being better. If they announce a similar hire they're comfortable with but fans aren't (hue or lazor is my guess), there will be more discourse for no reason. No reason since nobody is trying to hire their pick.

From a business perspective, better to wait until at least after the playoffs when fans have cooled off some. Or, more likely, the draft, when fans tend to get more hopeful 

So that's my guess. Internal hire, announced closer to post season but already decided. Which fits with trying to get kubiak.

This scenario sounds really plausible, but I sure hope you're wrong.

As to Kubiak.....my hope is that they wanted to talk to him about being the HC.....or an experienced playcaller to go along with an inexperienced HC.

We will soon see......but if it's Hue, there won't be enough time in light years to cool the fans down enough to stomach that hire.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 01:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: This scenario sounds really plausible, but I sure hope you're wrong.

As to Kubiak.....my hope is that they wanted to talk to him about being the HC.....or an experienced playcaller to go along with an inexperienced HC.

We will soon see......but if it's Hue, there won't be enough time in light years to cool the fans down enough to stomach that hire.

If it's Hue, then who do we blame.

If Mike has ceded this decision to Duke/Katie etc then they are more to blame and it would show that Duke/Katie etc are not in touch with how fans feel about Hue.

It would be a sign of a bleak Post Mike Brown world if Duke/Katie etc bungle this.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 01:55 PM)depthchart Wrote: If it's Hue, then who do we blame.

If Mike has ceded this decision to Duke/Katie etc then they are more to blame and it would show that Duke/Katie etc are not in touch with how fans feel about Hue.

It would be a sign of a bleak Post Mike Brown world if Duke/Katie etc bungle this.

We blame them.....unless the report is untrue (I doubt that is the case, but you never know).

I would think Hue is the absolute, last choice.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 01:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: This scenario sounds really plausible, but I sure hope you're wrong.

I hope I'm wrong, too. 

As to kubiak, I think the only way they could've been denied is if they requested him for a lateral position. If they we're interviewing for hc, I don't think Denver could've stopped them.  I guess they could've been trying to be sneaky about it so as not to scare anyone, but as no one is interested in our short list, I don't think so.

Kubiak could've just been all smoke screen. Request an interview likely to be turned down so fans at least think you're trying to do something.
Reply/Quote
Ugh just thinking of the potential scenario of having Vance or Hue or Lazor as HC without having Mike Brown to blame.....
Reply/Quote