Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Against Tanking
Yes, Joe Burrow is out for the season. Yes, the Bengals are last place in the AFC North. Ticket sales are dropping, fans are despondent, and the sports analysts are gleeful because they’ve projected the Bengals to completely implode. Some fans even want the team to tank on purpose to secure an earlier draft pick.

I’m against tanking for any reason. I want the Bengals to feed the NFL and the smarmy television analysts a big shitburger and make the playoffs anyway.

It’s possible. The defense needs to burn or shred the scheme used against Baltimore and Houston and do whatever they did against San Francisco and Buffalo. Zac needs to switch to a run-first offense even if it means using an extra offensive lineman.

If the Bengals’ record was 4-6 or worse then I might make me more sympathetic to those who want to tank. Let’s beat the Steelers and then move on to the next game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't advocate tanking.... but Charlie Jones has 4 offensive snaps 2 targets 1 catch 6 yards and there's alot of expectations for him to replace Tyler Boyd in 2024... Getting young guys snaps would probably be smart.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Hey guys remember in 2023 when we won 2 more games when Burrow went down? What a gutsy performance.

Said literally no one ever.

That's how I view people who refuse to acknowledge that tanking will literally make the Bengals better in 2024.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I'm against tanking on purpose. It just isn't a good mentality to have in action in order to get better draft picks.

That being said, once they are mathematically out, losing games because they are using the rest of the season as an extended "preseason" in evaluating players for the offseason, I am perfectly fine with that. And if getting a higher draft spot happens, bonus on top.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 08:41 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, Joe Burrow is out for the season. Yes, the Bengals are last place in the AFC North. Ticket sales are dropping, fans are despondent, and the sports analysts are gleeful because they’ve projected the Bengals to completely implode. Some fans even want the team to tank on purpose to secure an earlier draft pick.

I’m against tanking for any reason. I want the Bengals to feed the NFL and the smarmy television analysts a big shitburger and make the playoffs anyway.

It’s possible. The defense needs to burn or shred the scheme used against Baltimore and Houston and do whatever they did against San Francisco and Buffalo. Zac needs to switch to a run-first offense even if it means using an extra offensive lineman.

If the Bengals’ record was 4-6 or worse then I might make me more sympathetic to those who want to tank. Let’s beat the Steelers and then move on to the next game.

We’re not making the playoffs. It was 50/50 if we would make it with a healthy JB. What does proving some nfl commentaries wrong do for the Bengals next year? I don’t think we’ll purposely try to lose, but time to start some backups and rookies. Ride with Browning, give Charlie Jones 50% of TB slot snaps. Give Yoshi 50% of Tee’s snaps. Tee will probably nurse that hammy anyways. No sense in coming back and risking a larger issue and a huge pay day he’ll be getting.

I would bench Volson and see who else can play. Start Battle and Turner. Awuzie is gone next year. Start Murphy and just move Hubbard to the inside.

That should secure is a top 10 pick and find out who can play and who can’t. This team wasn’t very good before. They had glimpses against Buff (are they even that good?) and SF (are the as good as they were last year?).

If we won 1 more game in 2020, we wouldn’t have Chase. If we won one more game in 2019 we wouldn’t have JB. Each draft slot is crucial when you’re picking in the top 1-10.
Reply/Quote
I just want to know if the Bengals have talked to Ryan Finley.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Hell, it's a damn shame we didn't just IR Burrow in week 1 and get this draft pick stuff heading in the right direction sooner.

Ok, well on a more serious note at least Burrow is getting paid like he's the only guy who matters on this roster.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 09:04 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: If we won 1 more game in 2020, we wouldn’t have Chase. If we won one more game in 2019 we wouldn’t have JB. Each draft slot is crucial when you’re picking in the top 1-10.

Sure so we pick a few spots later in 2020 draft and wind up with Justin Herbert, Jonathan Taylor.

We pick a couple picks later in 2021 and take Devonta Smith and Creed Humphrey.

I don't believe in the Butterfly effect. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I avoid tanking like the plague. Last two weeks of the season when teams begin resting up for the playoffs? You could obviously make the case. But 7 games left before we're even at Thanksgiving? Absolutely not. Not fair for other teams that truly suck, not sustainable for the league... just not good.

We'll end up somewhere in the mid-first next to Tampa, Indy, GB, the LAs... basically Mediocrity Central. We should already consider ourselves lucky. As an established contender with our franchise quarterback locked up for the next five years, we have no business picking at the top of the round anyway. It would defeat the purpose of the draft and I'd want no part of opening that Pandora's Box. Just my 2c.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 08:41 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, Joe Burrow is out for the season.  Yes, the Bengals are last place in the AFC North. Ticket sales are dropping, fans are despondent, and the sports analysts are gleeful because they’ve projected the Bengals to completely implode.  Some fans even want the team to tank on purpose to secure an earlier draft pick.

I’m against tanking for any reason.  I want the Bengals to feed the NFL and the smarmy television analysts a big shitburger and make the playoffs anyway.  

It’s possible.  The defense needs to burn or shred the scheme used against Baltimore and Houston and do whatever they did against San Francisco and Buffalo.  Zac needs to switch to a run-first offense even if it means using an extra offensive lineman.

If the Bengals’ record was 4-6 or worse then I might make me more sympathetic to those who want to tank.  Let’s beat the Steelers and then move on to the next game.

There is a difference in wanting a team to intentionally tank and being ok if a team loses their games.

I'd like to see some young players get more experience so they are ready for next year. 
Murphy, Battle, Turner, Jones, and Iosivas could use a ton of reps.

Reply/Quote
It’s a good thing we have 0 impact on what they do.

The players will not tank. They have pride, but most importantly, money, on the line.
Reply/Quote
I want to see them develop the secondary and develop a running game and effective oline. Otherwise I’m totally fine with losing out. We aren’t making a playoff run with this roster/qb.

Use the season to your advantage and develop the young players and develop the scheme going into next year.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 09:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure so we pick a few spots later in 2020 draft and wind up with Justin Herbert, Jonathan Taylor.

We pick a couple picks later in 2021 and take Devonta Smith and Creed Humphrey.

I don't believe in the Butterfly effect. 

You really would rather have Herbert and Smith over Burrow and Chase? We all got opinions, but wow.
Reply/Quote
It would be really cool to see the team develop a dominant running game and defense the rest of the way.

You can beat a team like the chiefs if you can run the ball effectively against them.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 10:14 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: You really would rather have Herbert and Smith over Burrow and Chase? We all got opinions, but wow.

I like smith but he wouldn’t survive this division. He’s tiny. I could see him missing a lot of time. Herbert would be good but he’s not as good as burrow.

Draft position matters. So does picking the right players. We haven’t always done that and set ourselves back because of it.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 10:14 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: You really would rather have Herbert and Smith over Burrow and Chase? We all got opinions, but wow.

It would have been Herbert / Sewell or Herbert /  Slater.  I don’t think we go WR in 2021 if no Chase.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I can't help but notice that we seem to have fond feelings for AJ McCarron and his being back even though he did what we don't want to happen this year, as in when the starter went down instead of losing for a better draft pick and easier schedule we made it to a pointless playoff game.
Reply/Quote
I don't think we will have to worry about tanking. I think we are gonna naturally lose enough games to get a pick in the top 10.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 10:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't help but notice that we seem to have fond feelings for AJ McCarron and his being back even though he did what we don't want to happen this year, as in when the starter went down instead of losing for a better draft pick and easier schedule we made it to a pointless playoff game.

I know your kidding. But what was our record when Dalton went down. 11-2?
Reply/Quote
People think about tanking for 1st overall, maybe 2 or 3. ( Suck for Luck, Tank for Tua ) No one is going to try an underhanded effort to go from 17 to 12. Picks are far more messy. Get a big draft board ready.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote