Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Against Tanking
The players/coaches will not tank, it just doesn't happen, especially in the middle of the season. They will just naturally lose most remaining games due to a backup QB playing and our defense/running game being bad. I think it is unlikely we lose out even though that may help us the most Longterm. But I think it would show that the Bengals are different now 100% culture and attitude wise if we come out playing hard and made a push for the postseason. It is early enough in the season I would like them to still win games, however if it gets to week 15+ and we only have 6 wins, then I would want them to just go ahead and lose out.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 08:41 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, Joe Burrow is out for the season.  Yes, the Bengals are last place in the AFC North. Ticket sales are dropping, fans are despondent, and the sports analysts are gleeful because they’ve projected the Bengals to completely implode.  Some fans even want the team to tank on purpose to secure an earlier draft pick.

I’m against tanking for any reason.  I want the Bengals to feed the NFL and the smarmy television analysts a big shitburger and make the playoffs anyway.  

It’s possible.  The defense needs to burn or shred the scheme used against Baltimore and Houston and do whatever they did against San Francisco and Buffalo.  Zac needs to switch to a run-first offense even if it means using an extra offensive lineman.

If the Bengals’ record was 4-6 or worse then I might make me more sympathetic to those who want to tank.  Let’s beat the Steelers and then move on to the next game.

The scheme (or whatever Pollack is doing) just will not be that effective, no matter if Taylor tries calling more run plays.
And no offense to Mixon, but he's not fast enough to be a game changer, nor is he big enough to be a freight train.
Bengals are going to have to rely on Browning some, even if they do try to get somewhat more balanced.

I'd like to see them try to use more 12 personnel, personally.
That could/should help disguise run vs pass.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 01:57 PM)Garrus Wrote: The players/coaches will not tank, it just doesn't happen, especially in the middle of the season. They will just naturally lose most remaining games due to a backup QB playing and our defense/running game being bad. I think it is unlikely we lose out even though that may help us the most Longterm. But I think it would show that the Bengals are different now 100% culture and attitude wise if we come out playing hard and made a push for the postseason. It is early enough in the season I would like them to still win games, however if it gets to week 15+ and we only have 6 wins, then I would want them to just go ahead and lose out.

There's no reason to even try to tank, at least not until they're out of the playoff race.
As much as we may not think they have a chance to advance in the playoffs, they're still in the race.

We'll definitely see this team play hard, at least until they get to double-digit losses.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 01:53 PM)Joelist Wrote: We're already seeing play time for the defensive kids. We need the same on offense - get Yoshi, Chuck Sizzle and Chase Brown more snaps. Way more snaps so that we know what we have by end of season. 

Yes we have, and with the season not really heading in a positive direction, there would be no apparent reason to hustle Hubbard back from injury and why not give Hendrickson a little rest to protect the team's investment in their best pass rusher?  I think that it's plenty obvious that Ossai, Sample and Murphy could all use the developmental work, and it gives the team more of an extended look as to weather they are really progressing or not.  The guys in the secondary are all coming along nicely.

I agree with you about the offensive players, it's a shame that Charlie Jones and Chase Brown got injured when they did, as they both might have been regular contributors by now.  Iosivas, I am not so worried about right now.  Even though he's dinged up, I feel like he'll be ready for an extended role next season. I also think that it's worth mentioning that if the team has any interest in keeping D'ante Smith going forward, it might be a good thing to start working him in at RT. That is unless they feel strongly about signing Williams to a deal to remain.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Believe tanking is for when you have no wins or just one win at the three quarter pole of the season and can get the #1 overall pick.

Just don't see not trying while still not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

That being said the Bengals may not win any games without Joe, but hope to see maximum effort in trying to win.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Tanking is a fans dream when looking forward to the next season. Yet, tell a team of players who have had much football success in life, enough to get to the NFL, that you don't believe in them and that the team revolves around 1 player. Meh, I don't see see any team going for that bullcrap. You have to play every game your best or you lose the team as a coach.

Reply/Quote