Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age, laziness or both..
I have a moderate amount of welding to get done, lots of grinding old steel, cutting and drilling to shore up my POS garage door.. I'm a repeat offender of leaving crap right in the path of the door so over the years and several crunch, crunch episodes the top has become deformed and several cracks have begun in the cheapo sheet metal. So...putting a long piece of angle iron on top, two smaller cross pieces below to attach to the bottom of the top panel and the next panel down and wider piece to act as the center strut to attach the garage door opener..   The problem is everything has become more heavy with my age and I'm not so happy about climbing ladders. And I'm not even sure if the old garage door opener will be able to handle the extra weight..Oh well..There's always tomorrow or the next day.  I finally got the top piece clamped in place and it'll have to come back down to weld everything together then drag it all back up and bolt it in place. I should have just spent the money for a new garage door,  but next year I plan to build new carriage doors and sh*tcan the POS garbage junk thin ass sheet metal door and the BS opener.. lol
You don't want to know my opinion of this door do ya?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
FUACK that door gramps
Reply/Quote
Braze some lighter weight aluminum angle pieces to shore up the panel framework. If you engineer it carefully, so as to not need a high number of support pieces, the additional weight should be minimum, and very little extra work for the garage door opener.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2023, 12:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Braze some lighter weight aluminum angle pieces to shore up the panel framework.  If you engineer it carefully, so as to not need a high number of support pieces, the additional weight should be minimum, and very little extra work for the garage door opener.

Too late for brazing..I lost my torches some years ago..I'm finally down to an 8 foot section of bedframe angle iron and a few 2' sections of flat steel. It's not going to be too heavy..I really need to build the carriage doors, but I'll have to shore up the frame around the door openings first. The whole thing is framed with 2x4 garbage. They don't build em like they used to with granite slabs and slave labor.. not that I'm advocating for the return of slavery or anything here. UHMM..Slavery is bad..OK? So are drugs, ok?

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Got it finished and working better than it ever did in the past..Gotta restock up on drill bits since I snapped two of the best bits I owned by drilling up on a ladder, but oh well..

Reply/Quote
I forgot the best part..After snapping the last drill bit and climbing down off the ladder that always makes me dizzy anyway being I don't even like being as tall as I am whilst trying to remove the last snapped drill bit my brain forgot to press the reverse button on the drill so my hand was gripping the plastic collar in the drill chuck with my patented death grip till it ripped a good size hole in the center of the palm of my hand. It turns out that bandages don't really like sticking to sweaty, filthy palms. My next goal in life is to invent a bandage that sticks well to sweaty, filthy palms.. 

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 10:20 AM)grampahol Wrote: I forgot the best part..After snapping the last drill bit and climbing down off the ladder that always makes me dizzy anyway being I don't even like being as tall as I am whilst trying to remove the last snapped drill bit my brain forgot to press the reverse button on the drill so my hand was gripping the plastic collar in the drill chuck with my patented death grip till it ripped a good size hole in the center of the palm of my hand. It turns out that bandages don't really like sticking to sweaty, filthy palms. My next goal in life is to invent a bandage that sticks well to sweaty, filthy palms.. 

just claim its a Stigmata
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 11:55 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: just claim its a Stigmata

I screwed up with a cordless drill for your sins..  Wink

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 10:20 AM)grampahol Wrote: I forgot the best part..After snapping the last drill bit and climbing down off the ladder that always makes me dizzy anyway being I don't even like being as tall as I am whilst trying to remove the last snapped drill bit my brain forgot to press the reverse button on the drill so my hand was gripping the plastic collar in the drill chuck with my patented death grip till it ripped a good size hole in the center of the palm of my hand. It turns out that bandages don't really like sticking to sweaty, filthy palms. My next goal in life is to invent a bandage that sticks well to sweaty, filthy palms.. 

Glad that the project turned out well and good, but I thought that you had given up drinking??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 01:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Glad that the project turned out well and good, but I thought that you had given up drinking??

Unfortunately I did give up drinking..I never did that when I was still drinking. Coincidence? 

Reply/Quote