Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Aggressive Coaching Wins Super Bowl
(02-05-2018, 01:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No doubt Pederson was a joy to watch last night, but I think the game came down to the fact that even though Gronk was playing, I think he is still concussed. He dropped more balls in the 1st half than I think I have ever seen him drop. He just seemed off. Brady did as well....

Brady 505 YDS 3 TD 0 INT

Gronk 116 YDS 2 TD

Not sure what game you were watching...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 02:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Brady 505 YDS 3 TD 0 INT

Gronk 116 YDS 2 TD

Not sure what game you were watching...

I would say they both were a little off in the 1st half.....but they damn sure got it together in the second.  Brady had three balls in  the first half that were thrown well behind the receiver (one was Gronk in the endzone) that were nearly intercepted.  Gronk had, what, 9 yards in the 1st half?  Brady was still good in the 1st half, but he looked a little off, and not typical Tom.  Of course, pressure will do that to you.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 02:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: I would say they both were a little off in the 1st half.....but they damn sure got it together in the second.  Brady had three balls in  the first half that were thrown well behind the receiver (one was Gronk in the endzone) that were nearly intercepted.  Gronk had, what, 9 yards in the 1st half?  Brady was still good in the 1st half, but he looked a little off, and not typical Tom.  Of course, pressure will do that to you.

Right, Gronk had 9 yards and 1 catch in the first half, and had 9 catches on 15 targets in the game. Not bad numbers, but not typical Gronk
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 02:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Right, Gronk had 9 yards and 1 catch in the first half, and had 9 catches on 15 targets in the game. Not bad numbers, but not typical Gronk

Pretty much how I saw it.....and got flamed for saying Brady was off in the 1st half....lol.  By Brady standards, he was.

Reply/Quote
The Patriots always start slow in the SB. They’ve scored 0 points in the first quarter of the previous 6 they played in. It’s strange. The Hoodie does his best work after he makes his mythical (journalist jargon) adjustments.

Reply/Quote
Aggressive play calling doesn’t mean squat if the players aren’t prepared and don’t execute.

Then it’s just bad coaching decisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 02:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Patriots always start slow in the SB. They’ve scored 0 points in the first quarter of the previous 6 they played in. It’s strange. The Hoodie does his best work after he makes his mythical (journalist jargon) adjustments.

True that.

Reply/Quote
I thought it was Defense wins Championships.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Pederson actually said this too

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/05/super-bowl-52-eagles-patriots-peter-king-mmqb
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
That is the great thing about football.

There is no true formula to winning championships.

Great coaches figure what is the best thing to do with the personnel they have on hand.

Of course it is like every pool tournament I have ever won as well.

You have to play great to be amongst the few who do, and get a break or two somewhere.

Every single tournament I have won can reflect back on a pivotal moment that if it went other way it could have changed outcome.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 03:08 PM)Go Cards Wrote: That is the great thing about football.

There is no true formula to winning championships.

Great coaches figure what is the best thing to do with the personnel they have on hand.

Of course it is like every pool tournament I have ever won as well.

You have to play great to be amongst the few who do, and get a break or two somewhere.

Every single tournament I have won can reflect back on a pivotal moment that if it went other way it could have changed outcome.

Very true. Pretty much any sport where both sides or field are equal in talent, then you do need things to go your way once in awhile.
Btw, I play pool like I putt, not very good..... Tongue
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 02:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: I would say they both were a little off in the 1st half.....but they damn sure got it together in the second.  Brady had three balls in  the first half that were thrown well behind the receiver (one was Gronk in the endzone) that were nearly intercepted.  Gronk had, what, 9 yards in the 1st half?  Brady was still good in the 1st half, but he looked a little off, and not typical Tom.  Of course, pressure will do that to you.

Exactly what I saw. I even thought to myself, gee not every pass a NFL QB throws is perfect 100% of the time....... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 03:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought it was Defense wins Championships.

It did just a couple years ago with Denver, but the way the league is officiating games now it’s going to be harder and harder to win like that.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 03:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It did just a couple years ago with Denver, but the way the league is officiating games now it’s going to be harder and harder to win like that.

Very true. A defender's hands are almost tied anymore. 
Reply/Quote
In my opinion, there is no way the Eagles win that game if Andy Reid is still HC. I have a lot of respect for coach Reid, as I do for Marvin Lewis, but I think that both of them have the same conservative mentality on gameday. For us to make a playoff run, we will need our opponents to make mistakes that we capitalize on. Watching that game reminded me of Rocky 2, back and forth from beginning to end, and Brady left bewildered walking off the field through the confetti.
Reply/Quote
Marvin can’t even grasp halftime adjustments. No way he learns anything from the SB. Heck, he probably didn’t even watch it.

Reply/Quote
They were talking about this on NFL radio yesterday. I believe it was Rich Gannon's show, but I'm not sure. He flat out said, if you get a 10 point lead and try to sit on it in today's NFL, you will lose the game. You have to stay aggressive. Merv..... are you listening???
Reply/Quote
Pederson went for it on 4th down more than any coach in the league this year. He was the perfect coach to beat the Patriots.

Have to be aggressive to beat them but you also have to be smart unlike the Falcons last year.

There is a fine line but Marv is nowhere near the line he is so conservative.

Just take a knee man and go into halftime, then come out unenthused. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 01:14 PM)bengals67 Wrote: If Marv had been coaching Eagles last night they would have sat on their lead and lost the game.

And if Marvin was coaching the Falcons last year they would have used more clock and beaten the Patriots.

Fans just like whatever wins.  Just last year the Falcons were crucified for not being more conservative.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 09:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They were talking about this on NFL radio yesterday. I believe it was Rich Gannon's show, but I'm not sure. He flat out said, if you get a 10 point lead and try to sit on it in today's NFL, you will lose the game. You have to stay aggressive. Merv..... are you listening???

Marvin has never lost a single game due to playing too conservative with a lead in the second half.

But he has lost one by being too aggressive with a lead late in the game. Tampa Bay 2010
Reply/Quote