Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ahem....Tight Ends anyone?
Since our top 3 TE's are under contract for '18 only, anyone here expect the Bengals to pick at least one in the top half of the draft? With Eifert being a 'wait and see' and Uzomah not breaking away from the pack, Kroft likely seems to be the only one to get either extended this year or offered a reasonable contract next year. While I may not want them to, it would not surprise me if they pick one by the 3rd round. And that would screw up my hopes for Edge, LB, CB and S in the 3rd round and on....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 06:11 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Since our top 3 TE's are under contract for '18 only, anyone here expect the Bengals to pick at least one in the top half of the draft? With Eifert being a 'wait and see' and Uzomah not breaking away from the pack, Kroft likely seems to be the only one to get either extended this year or offered a reasonable contract next year. While I may not want them to, it would not surprise me if they pick one by the 3rd round.  And that would screw up my hopes for Edge, LB, CB and S in the 3rd round and on....

Maybe one of those first three comes down to value and TE offers the most.  Not a lot teams associated with drafting TE's so maybe you get one of the best TE prospects later than seemed possible. 

And for the reasons you stated, there is need.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 06:20 PM)McC Wrote: Maybe one of those first three comes down to value and TE offers the most.  Not a lot teams associated with drafting TE's so maybe you get one of the best TE prospects later than seemed possible. 

And for the reasons you stated, there is need.

I have yet to look for who needs TE, so maybe we will see good talent still available on day 3. I only worry because I've seen us spend high picks for TE, and I'm hoping this isn't a year where it happens again. 

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 07:19 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I have yet to look for who needs TE, so maybe we will see good talent still available on day 3. I only worry because I've seen us spend high picks for TE, and I'm hoping this isn't a year where it happens again. 

I'm just going by mock drafts I've seen.  I've seen a lot of them and can't remember any with more than one TE going in the first.  That doesn't mean they wouldn't start flying off the boards in the second.  But I can't imagine us taking one in the first.  Second, maybe.  And that would have a lot to do with who they take first.  By the thrid, all bets are off, I'd say.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'd like to see one of them get extended.

Draft TE, QB, and RB higher next year.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I don't see the TE being a huge draft priority this year. Stay with me for a moment.. If Eifert stays healthy and plays like he can, he'll get a nice 3-5 year deal keeping him here. If he flounders, they'll likely give Kroft a more affordable 3-5 year deal and draft for the future next year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 08:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I don't see the TE being a huge draft priority this year.  Stay with me for a moment..  If Eifert stays healthy and plays like he can, he'll get a nice 3-5 year deal keeping him here.  If he flounders, they'll likely give Kroft a more affordable 3-5 year deal and draft for the future next year.

You're preaching to the choir. Just wondered what we should "expect" from the Bengals per my op.

Reply/Quote
Prior to Eifert signing, I was hoping for one early. My guess now, they only take one if its somebody that’s top of their board on the 3rd day. Like, if Andrews is sitting there in the 4th or 5th round or Troy Fumagalli in the 5th or 6th.
Reply/Quote
I like Chris Herndon out of Miami. His production isn't there, and he is coming off an injury, but he is a nice prospect to develop. Very athletic with big play ability.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 08:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I don't see the TE being a huge draft priority this year.  Stay with me for a moment..  If Eifert stays healthy and plays like he can, he'll get a nice 3-5 year deal keeping him here.  If he flounders, they'll likely give Kroft a more affordable 3-5 year deal and draft for the future next year.

Even if Eifert does stay healthy, that nice 3-5 year deal is very likely $8+ mill a year, right?
What if a guy like Gesicki can produce about the same? Then that money saved can be used elsewhere.

And IMO the Bengals are going to need it with the following players hitting FA in 2019 besides Eifert...
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/cincinnati-bengals/
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 09:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Even if Eifert does stay healthy, that nice 3-5 year deal is very likely $8+ mill a year, right?
What if a guy like Gesicki can produce about the same? Then that money saved can be used elsewhere.

And IMO the Bengals are going to need it with the following players hitting FA in 2019 besides Eifert...
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/cincinnati-bengals/

Yeah, I had the number of FA's coming up next year in mind when I started this thought with the TE group. It's not realistic to accomplish everything in one year, sometimes in two. But with what needs to be done this year, added to what is staring at us next year, it gets 'tricky' at best.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 06:11 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Since our top 3 TE's are under contract for '18 only, anyone here expect the Bengals to pick at least one in the top half of the draft? With Eifert being a 'wait and see' and Uzomah not breaking away from the pack, Kroft likely seems to be the only one to get either extended this year or offered a reasonable contract next year. While I may not want them to, it would not surprise me if they pick one by the 3rd round.  And that would screw up my hopes for Edge, LB, CB and S in the 3rd round and on....

I wouldn't like it if they picked a TE BY the 3rd round, but would love to get a guy like Mark Andrews IN the 3rd round...

Not a good blocker, could fall for this reason.
Reply/Quote
When I saw this I thought of the Eifert draft a few years ago. There was someone on the old board calling for him to be the pick and he was flamed for it pretty bad.

When the draft came, Eifert was the pick over Cordarelle Paterson and many didn't like the selection.

The argument was that Eifert and Erst were the best at their position with Kelce being a close 3rd and the other spots were deep.

Now Eifert when healthy is the best out of the bunch. Though Kelce and Erst have played very well and haven't been out as much as Eifert has.

Now this year, I have seen that the OLine is deep and that there are impact players to be had in the 2nd -3rd rounds. However there is only one Hayden Hurst who was a 1st round prospect last year in a deep TE class. This year he stands above the rest of the pack and could be an Eifert type TE (minus the injuries).

So like the poster from the old board that wanted Eifert, I will have to say I want us to take Hurst.

Face it, Eifert is a ? with injuries. Kroft is servicable but hardly a game changer. Uzomah isn't anything special. Hurst would be the future even if we resign Eifert next year and having the 2 on the field would make our offense that much more explosive.

Get a Guard and Center in the 2nd and 3rd round.
Reply/Quote
I've seen Hayden Hurst mocked to us in some of them.
Don't know much about him. I preferred Dallas Goedert, Mark Andrews or Joe Gesicki.
But a TE will be a need long term. Would love for Eifert to stay healthy, just can't trust that.
Reply/Quote