Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ahh, another "Florida Man" story..
Florida, the State where it's crazy citizens continue the endless pursuit of "one upping" the rest of the dolts of the world.  Hilarious

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/passengers-captain-drank-beer-had-cocaine-and-fired-a-gun-during-nightmare-fishing-trip/ar-AACozgx?ocid=spartanntp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Sounds like a normal Tuesday, to me. Mellow
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-05-2019, 03:31 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Sounds like a normal Tuesday, to me. Mellow

Yeah, I'm sure you see plenty of "Va. Beach man, and Newport News man" stories up your way.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-05-2019, 03:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I'm sure you see plenty of "Va. Beach man, and Newport News man" stories up your way.

Nah, they're 3ish hours away. I get more "West Virginia man" stories. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I thought crazy men from Florida were a banned topic?   Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-05-2019, 03:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Nah, they're 3ish hours away. I get more "West Virginia man" stories. LOL

West Virginia... Maryland and Virginia's punching bag.

My fiance lived there for 10 years (Morgantown and Huntington). She has some stories of the people from there...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-05-2019, 06:32 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: West Virginia... Maryland and Virginia's punching bag.

My fiance lived there for 10 years (Morgantown and Huntington). She has some stories of the people from there...

Where my land in Ohio is located, is just 45 minutes from Huntington.  All too familiar with those folks.  However, until you get out in the hollows, with some of those that have never make it out to populated places like Huntington, you really never have been truly frightened for feeling like you wandered into the wrong place..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-05-2019, 07:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Where my land in Ohio is located, is just 45 minutes from Huntington.  All too familiar with those folks.  However, until you get out in the hollows, with some of those that have never make it out to populated places like Huntington, you really never have been truly frightened for feeling like you wandered into the wrong place..

She said that when she worked in retail there, it'd be common to see large groups of some of those folks come in for their once a month trip to "the big city" to get their supplies before heading back to the hollows. Heading out there, you might hop on a gravel road and keep going for an hour with nothing around and no cell service. 

There's a reason why I live half a mile from the city limits of Baltimore. I'm not made to live in secluded, rural places.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-05-2019, 07:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Where my land in Ohio is located, is just 45 minutes from Huntington.  All too familiar with those folks.  However, until you get out in the hollows, with some of those that have never make it out to populated places like Huntington, you really never have been truly frightened for feeling like you wandered into the wrong place..

Shit, I have places like that right up the road from me. I'm right at home with those sorts of places.

(06-05-2019, 07:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Shit, I have places like that right up the road from me. I'm right at home with those sorts of places.

Those Shenandoah hollows aren't quite the same as when you get into the interior of WV, Western NC, Eastern TN, and pretty much any part of Kentucky..   LOL

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-05-2019, 07:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Those Shenandoah hollows aren't quite the same as when you get into the interior of WV, Western NC, Eastern TN, and pretty much any part of Kentucky..   LOL

You don't know some of the hollows around my way, then. There are a mess of folks around here with the last name Fulk, and most of them have ties to a place called Fulks Run. It isn't named for a stream or anything, not as classy as that. It's named for a moonshinin' run that was in the before, during, and after the days of prohibition.

Out towards Elkton there is a family feud going on that could put the Hatfields and McCoys to shame. Worst part is that it's confusing as hell because it's between all these different families with a last name pronounced the same, just spelled a little different. If you aren't from their clan and you end up in their hollow, especially without an invite, you have only about a 30% chance of making it out. I'm not even being hyperbolic.

(06-05-2019, 08:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You don't know some of the hollows around my way, then. There are a mess of folks around here with the last name Fulk, and most of them have ties to a place called Fulks Run. It isn't named for a stream or anything, not as classy as that. It's named for a moonshinin' run that was in the before, during, and after the days of prohibition.

Out towards Elkton there is a family feud going on that could put the Hatfields and McCoys to shame. Worst part is that it's confusing as hell because it's between all these different families with a last name pronounced the same, just spelled a little different. If you aren't from their clan and you end up in their hollow, especially without an invite, you have only about a 30% chance of making it out. I'm not even being hyperbolic.

I can relate.  My wife's ex-husband is from Mingo Co. WV.  for quick reference, that's the WV side of Kanawha river, where the Hatfilelds and MCcoy feud still exists (sort of).  Anyway, back in the late 90's, when I was doing hardwood floors, I got a call from a shop down by the river (Ohio river).  The store owner apologized right from the top for calling, as I had never done installs for his shop.  However, he said that he heard that I did clean work and kept a clean, reliable truck.  He went on to say that he had a customer that was going to be hard to please, and hoped that I could do the job for him.  Not really thinking to ask him any in depth questions, I simply said "sure, I can get it done".  

So, on 1st morning of the job, the shop owner does the typical "quick quiz" as related to hardwood flooring and critical situations that might arise.  Once he's assured that I have the knowledge and tools for the job, he helps load us up.  Then, just as I'm about to head out, he pulls me aside and "briefs" me about the "strange area" that I'm about to head into.  Initially, I think nothing of it.  Heck, I was a Semi-Pro football player in my late 20's, I still felt pretty much invincible.  Then, I follow the directions to where the job is.  I follow the Hwy about 5 mi. into WV, then turn off to a side Rd., about 3 miles later, I turn onto a gravel Rd.  I then proceed to follow a network of gravel roads for another 8-10 miles.  Then, I start seeing these homemade signs, and I'm sure I'm where I'm supposed to be.  

The signs posted along the roads in this hollow were spooky, to say the least.  They would be anything from Bible quotes, with threatening text added, to such things as "this ain't your world here", to "you never walked a mile in my shoes", and more of the like.  I finally reach the house, and was promptly greeted by man holding a gun, wanting to verify my reason for being there.  (as if the boxes of hardwood flooring and tools in the bed of my truck weren't telling enough..)  Thankfully, my friend and helper at the time, came from a family that had similar relatives.  I let him take the lead on speaking, we made it through the 3 day job just fine.  However, if it weren't for Aaron knowing how to act around those type of folk, I might have misspoke and ended up in a world of shit..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
I think I'd like to live in some of those out of the way places as long as i was welcome.

And let's not forget the OP about a captain getting arrested for showing everyone how to have a good time while fishing because fishing alone is boring as @&%*.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-06-2019, 09:23 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I think I'd like to live in some of those out of the way places as long as i was welcome.

And let's not forget the OP about a captain getting arrested for showing everyone how to have a good time while fishing because fishing alone is boring as @&%*.

Pfft, I fish alone almost exclusively. **** other people. LOL

(06-06-2019, 09:26 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Pfft, I fish alone almost exclusively. **** other people. LOL

Yeah I didn't write that very well.  I meant just fishing and not doing anything else.  Now if I were forced to fish I would certainly want to be by myself.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-06-2019, 09:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah I didn't write that very well.  I meant just fishing and not doing anything else.  Now if I were forced to fish I would certainly want to be by myself.  

I like fishing with other people sometimes, but most of the time I go out to get away from other people.

Can we just make this the Fla thread?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/florida-woman-stabs-herself-tired-donald-trump-100050004.html

Quote:A 46-year-old woman from Palmetto, Fla. stabbed herself in the stomach with a kitchen knife three times and told responding police she did it because of Donald Trump. According to the police report posted by the Smoking Gun, she was "tired of living in Trump's country."

The woman, whose name has been redacted from the police report, was covered in blood when the responding officer arrived at the scene. When the officer asked her what was wrong, she lifted her shirt and exposed her stomach.

"I observed three stab wounds," the officer’s report states, adding that the wounds were still bleeding.

The woman then told the officer, "I'm tired of living in Trump's country; I'm tired of Trump being president."

Emergency Medical Services arrived and transported the injured woman to Blake Medical Center, where she was reportedly placed under a trauma alert.

The police report goes on to say that the woman told the police officer she had been "Baker Acted" before. The Baker Act is the Florida Mental Health Act of 1971, which allows the involuntary institutionalization and examination of a person. The examination can be requested by a judge, physicians, mental health professionals and law enforcement, so long as there is evidence a person has a possible mental illness and is in danger of harming themselves or others.

"I strongly believe there is substantial likelihood that without care or treatment the person will cause serious bodily harm to herself and/or others," the officer wrote in their report. "I believe that [redacted] is unable to determine for herself whether examination is necessary."

The officer followed EMS to the hospital as other deputies stayed at the scene. The officer waited for the woman to be treated. When the woman was stable, she told the officer that her daughter was aware of the incident and would be at her house that night.

(06-06-2019, 12:02 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Can we just make this the Fla thread?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/florida-woman-stabs-herself-tired-donald-trump-100050004.html

Only if it means we can stop talking about fishing.   Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-06-2019, 12:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: Only if it means we can stop talking about fishing.   Ninja

Don't make me start a thread about the threats to the striped bass population in the Chesapeake Bay and the efforts by the PRFC being taken to shorten or potentially cancel upcoming seasons.

Fishing and politics, it's my sweet spot. LOL

(06-06-2019, 12:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Don't make me start a thread about the threats to the striped bass population in the Chesapeake Bay and the efforts by the PRFC being taken to shorten or potentially cancel upcoming seasons.

Fishing and politics, it's my sweet spot. LOL

Speaking of fishing.  I see that VA's free fishing weekend is upon you.  Are you taking any young folk out to drown some worms?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23