Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aj mccarron/Jeremy hill
If we were to trade McCarron now, who would our back up be? I don't think now is the time to trade your 1 and only back up.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If we were to trade McCarron now, who would our back up be? I don't think now is the time to trade your 1 and only back up.

We're 1-3. Soon, having a good backup will be like having a full-sized spare for a car that doesn't run.

I'd rather fix the clutch and keep the car running than have a great spare for a car that isn't going anywhere.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If we were to trade McCarron now, who would our back up be? I don't think now is the time to trade your 1 and only back up.

(10-05-2017, 03:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We're 1-3. Soon, having a good backup will be like having a full-sized spare for a car that doesn't run.

I'd rather fix the clutch and keep the car running than have a great spare for a car that isn't going anywhere.

Yep. If we were able to trade McCarron for a player or two that helps our OL, then we won't NEED a backup QB because the chances of Dalton getting injured go down when the quality of the OL goes up.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 03:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We're 1-3. Soon, having a good backup will be like having a full-sized spare for a car that doesn't run.

With Derrick Carr going down, the Raiders might be an interested trade partner for McCarron.  From what I understand, either of their backup Tackles would be an upgrade over Cedric Ogbuehi.  I would think a deal to trade McCarron and Ogbuehi for a young Tackle with actual upside, and a 3rd round draft pick would be a great deal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Aka We should worry about starters before we worry about backups?

I do think that starting Andre Smith is a common sense solution to some of our offensive line problems. We now have 2 NFL caliber starters.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 04:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With Derrick Carr going down, the Raiders might be an interested trade partner for McCarron.  From what I understand, either of their backup Tackles would be an upgrade over Cedric Ogbuehi.  I would think a deal to trade McCarron and Ogbuehi for a young Tackle with actual upside, and a 3rd round draft pick would be a great deal.

Maybe. Although their OC loves EJ Manuel. He was the QB coach in Buffalo when they spent a 1st rounder on the guy and he's the one who pushed to sign him.

I think anyone that would be interested in Mac right now would be someone that views him as a long term solution, rather than a quick fix. Think about it from the Raiders' perspective. Why would they want to give up a quality piece or pick just to have a QB to fill in for 2-6 weeks (rotoworld says it's likely 3 weeks)?

Say they give up that piece or pick. Mac still has to learn their offense...and will he learn it quick enough to be more effective than EJ Manuel? Is Mac so much better than Manuel that he can outperform him when EJ has had an entire offseason + previous experience with the OC? I don't know that Mac is an upgrade even with all things equal.

I'd like to see a trade, but it's a little late in the game.

(10-05-2017, 04:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Aka We should worry about starters before we worry about backups?

I do think that starting Andre Smith is a common sense solution to some of our offensive line problems. We now have 2 NFL caliber starters.

Yeah pretty much. It reminds me of fantasy leagues. I've won titles in the past by trading away fancy bench players to shore up a weak position. 

Sure, it might be nice having that stud RB as insurance for your other stud RB's, but what about that major hole at TE or WR? That's going to bite you in the end.

Disclaimer: I realize fantasy isn't the same as the real NFL. It's an analogy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 11:13 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You state MB getting bargains as a bad thing. It would be if he was like the Browns and other teams that spend 40 million a year less than the Bengals. MB spends money so quit the attck of him being cheap, he is one of the smallest market team owners, yet spends more than a lot of NFL owners looking at it year over year.

Also, AJ is a backup QB who was developed and drafted by us. He signed a contract so no different than those who sign deals that benefit the individual player like Hall and others had, MB honors all contracts good (for team) and bad (only good for the player) so he is consistent.

So to you Mike Brown's methods are working ? 

Would you care to explain this ? 26 years just isn't enough time for his methods to achieve fruition ?

Do the Bengals preseason team meetings start off with "ok guys the goal is to go 10-6 and be one and done in the playoffs, again" ?
Reply/Quote
I'm still in the group that says there was no second round offer foe AJ McCarron. Next year will be telling because as far as I know he's gonna be an RFA (?) likely with a second round tender.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I guess it's a moot point since we're talking about a guy that still drives a 1988 lumina around as though it were brand new. Good thing he's saving his money for the bengals in 2048. It's such a curse being a bengals fan sometimes. Paul brown would of went on government assistance if it meant a winning team
Reply/Quote