Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aj to Cleveland rumor from hobspin
A.J. McCarron - QB - Bengals
Geoff Hobson of the Bengals' official website believes owner Mike Brown would consider trading A.J. McCarron to the Browns for the "right price."
Hobson hints the Bengals could send McCarron and their No. 9 overall pick to the Browns in exchange for picks 12 and 33. The Bengals, along with most teams outside of the top five, want to move down in the first round and accumulate more selections. McCarron is probably a distant Plan B for the Browns, as they figure to make at least one more run at Jimmy Garoppolo.
Related: Browns
Source: bengals.com Mar 27 - 10:33 AM
Player Outlook

Surprised no one mentioned yet or maybe I missed it. I guess this seems reasonable, yet I still feel a little short changed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
"The Bengals, along with most teams outside of the top five, want to move down in the first round and accumulate more selections."

This came from Hobspin?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 07:53 PM)Shady Wrote: "The Bengals, along with most teams outside of the top five, want to move down in the first round and accumulate more selections."

This came from Hobspin?

Supposedly.  I rarely go to that site anymore.  It's all rainbows and sunshine
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 07:55 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Supposedly.  I rarely go to that site anymore.  It's all rainbows and sunshine

I wonder where he gets that from. Nothing like showing your hand a month early. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Not sure how I feel about that. Now if they swap their 1st with our 9 and we get the 32 pick heck yea. Not going to happen though. Or just trade for the 32nd pick straight up and find another team to trade back with so we will at least have 2 extra 2nd RD picks.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 07:59 PM)Shady Wrote: I wonder where he gets that from. Nothing like showing your hand a month early. 

Exactly, sounds to me like the team is trying to regenerate some interest in McCarron, after shooting down all previous offers.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 08:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, sounds to me like the team is trying to regenerate some interest in McCarron, after shooting down all previous offers.

I would be curious to hear what offers we passed up if any.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 08:07 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I would be curious to hear what offers we passed up if any.

You won't hear about the offers they turned down, until after, or even if, they do actually deal McCarron. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 08:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You won't hear about the offers they turned down, until after, or even if, they do actually deal McCarron. 

Oh I'm sure, just would like to be a fly on the wall. I have a feeling I'd be one pissed off fly.
Reply/Quote
A trade like this in the same division? IDK.
Reply/Quote
I think that's a fair trade.

Maybe they could throw in a 6th rounder or something but, ultimately, a virtual first round pick and only going down 3 slots is a great deal for us, especially since a lot of people want to trade out of the top 10.

I do think the fee should be higher for the Browns than any other team. Maybe it'll be a draft day trade and will be a bit more for our money when the Browns are on the clock to get a QB.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 09:19 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Oh I'm sure, just would like to be a fly on the wall. I have a feeling I'd be one pissed off fly.

But, to be completely truthful, I am actually kind of glad that the Bengals have held onto McCarron to this point.  He is an awesome backup, and will be a solid to good starter, when his time comes. 

Looking back at the "big rumor", the one about the Bengals dealing him to the Jets for Richardson.  I'm happy that deal fell through, never was, etc.  Richardson for sure would have been a one year "rental", one coming off of injury at that.  If the Bengals deal him, I see it being an in-draft trade type of scenario.  Hopefully to gain good picks for next year's draft, as they already have 11 this year. 

And, if a great trade doesn't happen, no big deal.  McCarron is a great insurance policy to have in the hip pocket.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I would take that deal.

Pick 33 being the first pick on day two would be very valuable.

You could have teams bidding all day trying to get into that spot to get their favorite player that fell out of the first.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 09:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But, to be completely truthful, I am actually kind of glad that the Bengals have held onto McCarron to this point.  He is an awesome backup, and will be a solid to good starter, when his time comes. 

Looking back at the "big rumor", the one about the Bengals dealing him to the Jets for Richardson.  I'm happy that deal fell through, never was, etc.  Richardson for sure would have been a one year "rental", one coming off of injury at that.  If the Bengals deal him, I see it being an in-draft trade type of scenario.  Hopefully to gain good picks for next year's draft, as they already have 11 this year. 

And, if a great trade doesn't happen, no big deal.  McCarron is a great insurance policy to have in the hip pocket.

I would have hated the Jets trade. I agree that we are kinda sitting pretty at the QB position right now, a lot better than most teams. I don't see MB rushing to trade AJ unless he gets exactly what he wants. Which is why I think there may have been some offers that us fans would take in a heart beat. I would like to get a couple picks for him and I think there will be a draft day trade if some teams board went to shit and start to panic. But at the same time we have a horrible line and a window closing fast. It's a nice luxury to know this kid can come in and the season isn't a total waste.

As far as the trade offer by the OP, we can trade back on our own and get an extra 2nd round pick. Of course it won't be the 32nd pick and there's no guarantee a team would be willing. I just don't think it's worth it.
Reply/Quote
That would be a great trade, which is probably why Hobson is leaking it. I'm guessing the Browns made a worse offer, so Hobson is leaking this information in hopes that another team will propose a better deal.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
If I was the bengals i would take this offer and run unless you are looking at a certain player at #9.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Teams will simply not part with First Round Picks any longer unless it is a huge windfall. That extra year before FA is huge...

If the Bengals can give their compensatory 4th, say, and get the Browns pick at 32 (first of the 2nd round) for AJM they should absolutely do it.

Some other folks mentioned how many teams will be wanting to trade up for THAT pick, and that is also a very tempting proposition. If this worked out, the Bengals could end up with as many as 4 second round selections.

Slide in Rd 1, trade AJM, slide (not a lot) from the top of Rd 2:

You would have enough picks in Rd 2 and there would be massive talent still on the board at the Guard, CB, LB, and DE positions....since we would have already drafted the WR in Rd 1. :)
Reply/Quote
Looks like the whole Romo to Denver thing is stalled, and Romo is upset he hasn't been traded yet.  I'm surprised Hue hasn't tested those waters yet (maybe he has). Draft a project QB, and bring Romo in to play for a year or two while the drafted player develops... Romo gives you the opportunity to win right away. Maybe Elway is looking at AJMac....
Reply/Quote
Romo won't go to Cleveland and I doubt Denver is interested in ajm with a first rounder last year that hasn't had a legit chance yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
This would be a great deal for the Bengals to do. Outstanding for both teams, really.
Reply/Quote