Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue
(05-29-2019, 09:02 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: According to a Pew survey, 2/3rds of Hispanics consider Hispanic their race and not their ethnicity.

Part of the reason why we need to rethink how we ask for and use race/ethnicity information with the census. 

(05-29-2019, 09:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: To be fair, what one considers to be their race doesn't matter much as race is constructed based upon society's perception of you based on external factors. An individual can be categorized as different races by different people as the lines for what constitutes what race is highly subjective and often shifting based upon regional, generational, and also current trends.

But I should stop here because whenever I try to actually introduce social science into conversations about race it results in confusion for some individuals.

I've been with you in that boat here. I'm not so sure it's always confusion. There's definitely some who are unwilling to change their views for any reason.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-29-2019, 09:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 1. I've given the reason a couple times. He's very likely seen first hand the marginalization of blacks more than anyone judging him in this forum.

I'm asking you to explain the thought process behind your reasons because I fail to understand.

Quote:2. Thanks. Not sure the relevance but thanx for the info

The majority of people who identify themselves as Hispanic don't see themselves as white, black, etcetera; but as Hispanic as a distinct race in and of itself. So not white. Not black. Not Asian. Not American Indian.

You can claim you don't see the relevance, but I don't believe you. I don't see how you cannot see the relevance.
(05-29-2019, 09:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You mean like folks who assert Hispanics are non-whites? 

Hell I know some Hispanics that I would love for some folks in this forum to tell them they're non-white. 

Which would be the majority of Hispanics in America according to the Pew survey, but you're unsure of the relevance.
(05-29-2019, 09:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: To be fair, what one considers to be their race doesn't matter much as race is constructed based upon society's perception of you based on external factors. An individual can be categorized as different races by different people as the lines for what constitutes what race is highly subjective and often shifting based upon regional, generational, and also current trends.

But I should stop here because whenever I try to actually introduce social science into conversations about race it results in confusion for some individuals.

I agree. Given that approximately 33 million of 50 million Hispanic Americans disagree with the government's definition of their race illustrates your point about the subjective nature of race.

And don't think I didn't notice you tried to trick the usual suspects by writing "race is constructed based upon society's perception" rather than "race is a social construct" which we know they scoff at. LOL
This thing got sideways quickly.
(05-30-2019, 09:40 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Which would be the majority of Hispanics in America according to the Pew survey, but you're unsure of the relevance.

So we should tell those that consider themselves white that they are wrong?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-30-2019, 10:15 AM)Au165 Wrote: This thing got sideways quickly.

It happens all the time when our goal is to prove someone wrong instead of discussing the matter. There's a social construct on here that has that as their primary motivation

(05-30-2019, 09:56 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I agree. Given that approximately 33 million of 50 million Hispanic Americans disagree with the government's definition of their race illustrates your point about the subjective nature of race.

And don't think I didn't notice you tried to trick the usual suspects by writing "race is constructed based upon society's perception" rather than "race is a social construct" which we know they scoff at. LOL

(05-30-2019, 10:51 AM)bfine32 Wrote: It happens all the time when our goal is to prove someone wrong instead of discussing the matter. There's a social construct on here that has that as their primary motivation

It's like eliciting a patellar reflex during a neurological exam.  They just can't stop that knee jerk reaction.
(05-30-2019, 10:47 AM)bfine32 Wrote: So we should tell those that consider themselves white that they are wrong?

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Steve-King-wants-to-know-what-sub-groups-contributed-as-much-as-Whites-have?pid=239152#pid239152
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Steve-King-wants-to-know-what-sub-groups-contributed-as-much-as-Whites-have?pid=239488#pid239488
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Steve-King-wants-to-know-what-sub-groups-contributed-as-much-as-Whites-have?pid=239592#pid239592
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Steve-King-wants-to-know-what-sub-groups-contributed-as-much-as-Whites-have?pid=239592#pid239592
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Steve-King-wants-to-know-what-sub-groups-contributed-as-much-as-Whites-have?pid=239726#pid239726

Quote:bfine32

Dang when I just mentioned in passing that Babylonians where "white", I didn't know folks would go through this many hopes to suggest they were not.

Not ignoring science, I say there are 3 races in the world. How many races do others say their are scientifically?

Quote:oncemoreuntothejimbreech

If you claim there are three races in the world, you are ignoring science. What is the definition of race, scientifically?  What race were Adam and Eve?

How many colors are there in the world?

The first sentence of your answer is correct. The second sentence illustrates the point. There are 3 races, from which, infinite hybrids can be created. This does not make the hybrid color any less lovely and in some cases, more so.  Of course 2 of the three colors (purple, gold) that you used as examples are quite ugly.

Actually the last time I can remember referring to the 3 base races was during a Forensics (is this the junk science you keep referring to?) section in Anthropology in College. Apparently they can use certain markers to determine if a victim was one of the 3 races (black, white, yellow). I think they could also use it to determine the race of a suspect; given I cannot recall exactly. I don't they had anything they could use to determine their social construct. 

Are they wrong?  According to you there are only three races "scientifically" speaking and I've been waiting almost three years for you to give me the scientific definition of race.  Once you have done that then maybe we can determine if they are wrong based upon your definition.  But, what we can say is you believe the US Government is wrong stating there are five races instead of three races, "black, white, yellow."
(05-30-2019, 12:06 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: It's like eliciting a patellar reflex during a neurological exam.  They just can't stop that knee jerk reaction.

modern day galvanism
(05-30-2019, 12:26 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Steve-King-wants-to-know-what-sub-groups-contributed-as-much-as-Whites-have?pid=239152#pid239152
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Steve-King-wants-to-know-what-sub-groups-contributed-as-much-as-Whites-have?pid=239488#pid239488
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Steve-King-wants-to-know-what-sub-groups-contributed-as-much-as-Whites-have?pid=239726#pid239726

Are they wrong?  According to you there are only three races "scientifically" speaking and I've been waiting almost three years for you to give me the scientific definition of race.  Once you have done that then maybe we can determine if they are wrong based upon your definition.  But, what we can say is you believe the US Government is wrong stating there are five races instead of three races, "black, white, yellow."
We you say they are you referring to what folks identify as? If so the answer is no.

How far back in the time machine did you go to find that discussion? Seems like I remember having it years ago when I was taking a forensics class.

(05-30-2019, 02:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We you say they are you referring to what folks identify as? If so the answer is no.

This is unintelligible gibberish.

Quote:How far back in the time machine did you go to find that discussion? Seems like I remember having it years ago when I was taking a forensics class.

Are you suggesting you can't read or can't do math? Because 1) there is a date stamp on everyone of your quotes and 2) I wrote in plain English how long I've been waiting for you to answer.

Furthermore, today you claim this conversation happened "years ago when I was taking a forensics class" suggesting you were taking forensics in July 2016.  However, in July 2016 you claimed "last time I can remember referring to the 3 base races was during a Forensics (is this the junk science you keep referring to?) section in Anthropology in College."

So which is it?  You were taking forensics in July 2016 or prior to that while you were in college?  Because you can't seem to get your story straight about your timeline.

Also, today you suggested you were taking a forensics class during 2016.  But, in July 2016 you claimed you took anthropology in college.  So which is it?  A forensics class in 2016 or anthropology during college prior to July 2016?
(05-30-2019, 04:51 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: This is unintelligible gibberish.

Are you suggesting you can't read or can't do math? Because 1) there is a date stamp on everyone of your quotes and 2) I wrote in plain English how long I've been waiting for you to answer.

Furthermore, today you claim this conversation happened "years ago when I was taking a forensics class" suggesting you were taking forensics in July 2016.  However, in July 2016 you claimed "last time I can remember referring to the 3 base races was during a Forensics (is this the junk science you keep referring to?) section in Anthropology in College."

So which is it?  You were taking forensics in July 2016 or prior to that while you were in college?  Because you can't seem to get your story straight about your timeline.

Also, today you suggested you were taking a forensics class during 2016.  But, in July 2016 you claimed you took anthropology in college.  So which is it?  A forensics class in 2016 or anthropology during college prior to July 2016?

It obviously means more to you than me. I didn't see timestamps on the quotes and I didn't give shit enough to click the links. I knew forensics was in the discussion somewhere. It has been 3years.

This is getting beyond creepy. What was that movie with Deniro and Snipes; the fan?

(05-30-2019, 09:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It obviously means more to you than me. I didn't see timestamps on the quotes and I didn't give shit enough to click the links. I knew forensics was in the discussion somewhere. It has been 3years.

This is getting beyond creepy. What was that movie with Deniro and Snipes; the fan?

I'm familiar with this playbook:
1) Admit nothing.
2) Deny everything.
3) Make counter accusations.

Attention to detail. Attention to detail. Attention to detail. Maybe next time you won't blow your cover story.
Quote: Our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging. Justice O'Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases...I am also not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, as Professor Martha Minnow has noted, there can never be a universal definition of wise. Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life. -Sonia Sotomayor 5/2001 University of California School of Law at Berkeley

Safe to say that Sonia Sotomayor does not consider herself white...

(05-31-2019, 08:05 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Safe to say that Sonia Sotomayor does not consider herself white...

Is that quote saying she may have a different perspective based on her race and experiences?

(05-31-2019, 12:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Is that quote saying she may have a different perspective based on her race and experiences?

Yep,

GMDino was wrong to suggest your thoughts about Thomas were racist and you were wrong to suggest Sotomayor might not qualify as "non-white". 

And now we can stop this. 

PS. Me logging in a minute after you responded was coincidence. I haven't been sitting waiting for responses  Ninja I hate when that happens lol

(05-31-2019, 12:26 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yep,

GMDino was wrong to suggest your thoughts about Thomas were racist and you were wrong to suggest Sotomayor might not qualify as "non-white". 

And now we can stop this. 

PS. Me logging in a minute after you responded was coincidence. I haven't been sitting waiting for responses  Ninja I hate when that happens lol

Thanks for reffing and the clarification, but I'm still not going to assume a Hispanic always identified as non_white. He'll I think they may qualify as white if they  choose so.

PS: I'm waiting for responses as I am waiting on a flight. Breech feel free to update your journal

(05-31-2019, 12:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thanks for reffing and the clarification, but I'm still not going to assume a Hispanic always identified as non_white. He'll I think they may qualify as white if they  choose so.

PS: I'm waiting for responses as I am waiting on a flight. Breech feel free to update your jour

LOL

(05-31-2019, 12:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thanks for reffing and the clarification, but I'm still not going to assume a Hispanic always identified as non_white. He'll I think they may qualify as white if they  choose so.

Welcome to the dark side, brother.  Despite your failing memory regarding whether you learned about the 3 base races during a forensics class in 2016 or an anthropology class during college (the truth don't change), you just inadvertently admitted race is a social construct.

Quote:PS: I'm waiting for responses as I am waiting on a flight. Breech feel free to update your journal

In a really whiny voice, "I have 0 idea how you're allowed to continue stalking."

Sorry you had to wait so long today.  I was at work.  You know . . . working.  Instead of posting.