Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PROSPER Act
Introduced into the House this month, and currently being marked up in committee, is H.R. 4508. This bill, known as the Promoting Real Opportunity, Success and Prosperity through Education Reform Act (PROSPER Act), is set to update/replace the Higher Education Act of 1965. This law has been updated several times over the years, but this is a comprehensive overhaul that is well past due.

There are currently some concerns about the expediency with which they are moving this bill, especially given this hasn't been something they had been willing to fast track before now. The article at the link also talks about some of the concerns that education groups tend to have with the bill.

The committee's summary of the bill makes everything seem awesome, and, admittedly, there is a good bit I am a fan of in the bill. I would definitely welcome simplifying FSA, but I hold some of the same concerns that IHEP outlines in their analysis. In the end, I think of the biggest mistakes will be removing the student loan subsidy. This will make education less affordable for many students, and that is unfortunate.

Has anyone else been following this? I mean, I don't expect anyone else to have alerts being emailed to them about the bill like I do, but I figured one or two of you may be interested in this.
(12-20-2017, 12:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Introduced into the House this month, and currently being marked up in committee, is H.R. 4508. This bill, known as the Promoting Real Opportunity, Success and Prosperity through Education Reform Act (PROSPER Act)

I'm so sorry I have nothing at all to add, I just think it's awesome how your politicians come up with cool abbreviations like that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Funding for career programs and apprenticeships are great. We're pushing those with our students with disabilities who aren't a good fit for a 4 year college On the other hand, you can't turn this into a handout for for profit schools.

Making the system easier to apply for aid is good.

As a teacher in a school that services lower income students, I hate the idea of them getting rid of incentives to teach in these schools and relief for students who are the victim of fraud.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]