Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alex Mack Hits Free Agency
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640697/article/alex-mack-voids-browns-deal-will-test-free-agency

It would be a huge win for us if we could pick up Alex Mack and at around 9 million a year it would be a bigger improvement to our team than that 9 million we spent on Leon Hall.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Mack would be a huge upgrade for our O-line.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Alex Mack's new deal will have a lot of money. He's going to top Rodney Hudson's contract and that's 5 yrs/$44.5 million. The Bengals are going to be too focused on their own to sign Mack.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 05:38 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Alex Mack's new deal will have a lot of money. He's going to top Rodney Hudson's contract and that's 5 yrs/$44.5 million. The Bengals are going to be too focused on their own to sign Mack.

We can always dream can't we?
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I didn't watch the Browns to know for sure, but I do read their board here and there and they say Mack never recovered from the broken leg. They were pretty hard on him last season for as great of a rep he has around the league.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 05:40 PM)magikod Wrote: We can always dream can't we?

I've given up on dreaming about the Bengals signing someone like Mack. I truly believe that Bodine will still be our center next season.

(03-02-2016, 05:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: I didn't watch the Browns to know for sure, but I do read their board here and there and they say Mack never recovered from the broken leg. They were pretty hard on him last season for as great of a rep he has around the league.

I read their boards as well and they pretty much ripped every single player on their roster. You would've thought that Joe Haden was worse than Artrell Hawkins by the way they talked about him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 05:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: I didn't watch the Browns to know for sure, but I do read their board here and there and they say Mack never recovered from the broken leg. They were pretty hard on him last season for as great of a rep he has around the league.

It was pretty fair criticism.
He never did recover fully. So any deal he does get will have to be based on a mix of reputation and hoping he returns to form. 
Could come cheaper than most think
Reply/Quote
Of course we'll just say Bodine is da bomb at Center rather than open the checkbook and give the running game and interior pass protection a huge boost.
Reply/Quote
Alex Mack would only happen if the Bengals don't re-sign MLJ, Adam, Iloka, and Nelson. Even then, when was the last time the Bengals invested good money in an elite center?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
some of our free agents will hit the market.  Losing hall and Iloka while acquiring mack for 10 million a year would be a win for us.  Sign mack, pacman, and nelson.  Call it a day

Reply/Quote
We won't be making a lot of big splashes in free agency because [INSERT STOCK EXCUSE HERE]!
Reply/Quote
If it's ever a cap issue, you can just cut Kirkpatrick and you save $7.5m. (Which should happen anyway, $7.5m is ridiculous for a bust and one of the worst CB in the league.)

Use that to pay the majority of Mack's 2016 cap hit.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 06:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Alex Mack would only happen if the Bengals don't re-sign MLJ, Adam, Iloka, and Nelson. Even then, when was the last time the Bengals invested good money in an elite center?

Why is one available? 
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 07:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If it's ever a cap issue, you can just cut Kirkpatrick and you save $7.5m. (Which should happen anyway, $7.5m is ridiculous for a bust and one of the worst CB in the league.)

Use that to pay the majority of Mack's 2016 cap hit.

If the team really wanted Mack, they certainly could make the moves to free up the money.  However, just as with LB, they don't seem put much of a premium on the C position.  So, while I would like to see the Bengals solidify the position, forming possibly the best OL in football, I think that we're all just wishing in the wind.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 07:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If the team really wanted Mack, they certainly could make the moves to free up the money.  However, just as with LB, they don't seem put much of a premium on the C position.  So, while I would like to see the Bengals solidify the position, forming possibly the best OL in football, I think that we're all just wishing in the wind.

very few top centers ever hit free agency and its more likely they spend money on a center than a line backer or something else they feel they can draft.  Centers typically age well and it would be a good investment. Another reason this may be an option is because the center position transitions well regardless of system. while something like linebacker or wide receiver is more difficult to learn a new system.

Reply/Quote
I would like us to make a run at him but we probably won't :/
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 07:39 PM)Okeana Wrote: very few top centers ever hit free agency and its more likely they spend money on a center than a line backer or something else they feel they can draft.  Centers typically age well and it would be a good investment.  Another reason this may be an option is because the center position transitions well regardless of system.  while something like linebacker or wide receiver is more difficult to learn a new system.

I agree with everything that you say.  I just don't think that the Bengals will put premium dollars on the Center position, just as they seem to devalue the LB position. 

However, fair enough to speculate that as a position group, with the likely exit of Andre Smith, and Whit being on perhaps his last contract, Ced and Fisher being on their rookie deals, and Boling locked into a reasonable deal; they could feasibly go after Mack, but then I would find it unlikely that Zeitler would be in the budget when his time comes.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd love this just because it would solidify our line and open up the draft for us more.

I think the Browns will do everything in their power to match and one-up any offer, but maybe he's tired of losing and would come here at 9 a year.

Let's hope so.
Reply/Quote

That kinda scares me. He is getting older seems like he has been around awhile. I have respect for the name. But its not like I am an avid Browns watcher. Twice a year is pretty much it. A big name older guy is general a good start when you want to think of free agent flops. 

And he opted out of his big contract because he expects even more. 

A first and second round pick last year , two high paid guards , a high paid left tackle , and one of the Bengals super rare trade up targets entering his 3rd year that plays the same position. 

As far as unrealistic dreams. Mack is up towards the top of that list.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 02:29 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That kinda scares me. He is getting older seems like he has been around awhile. I have respect for the name. But its not like I am an avid Browns watcher. Twice a year is pretty much it. A big name older guy is general a good start when you want to think of free agent flops. 

And he opted out of his big contract because he expects even more. 

A first and second round pick last year , two high paid guards , a high paid left tackle , and one of the Bengals super rare trade up targets entering his 3rd year that plays the same position. 

As far as unrealistic dreams. Mack is up towards the top of that list.

His age isn't really that big of a concern to me, as many of the OL greats have played well into their mid to later 30s.  Any performance issues are likely because he was rushed back into service by a desperate and crummy team.  If the Bengals were to throw down the cash for a player like Mack, I'd like to see the deal be for 4-5 years.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote