Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alford cleared waivers
Alford cleared waivers and will revert to IR

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 07:24 PM)pally Wrote: Alford cleared waivers and will revert to IR

Will he?  Or will they just let him ride?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
When a player is waived with an injury disclaimer if he is not claimed he has to go to IR.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 08:09 PM)pally Wrote: When a player is waived with an injury disclaimer if he is not claimed he has to go to IR.

Did not know that.  Thanks for the info.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Probably because he's a scrub.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Alford was looking good in very limited action. I will continue to root for the guy. He has a great ability to track a deep ball and mercurial speed. Those aren't easy traits to find.

If Lafell is gone after this year, maybe it would be Alford that backs up Core at X receiver. I think Boyd is going to be an outstanding slot WR. And Erickson will be his backup.
Reply/Quote
First thing he's cleared since he's been here.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Tough break for Alford, hopefully he can bounce back and give it a shot next year.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
slow clap...

I guess he will get another shot at next years training camp. Hes fast but it looks like we got that covered now with core.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 07:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Alford was looking good in very limited action.  I will continue to root for the guy.  He has a great ability to track a deep ball and mercurial speed.  Those aren't easy traits to find.  

If Lafell is gone after this year, maybe it would be Alford that backs up Core at X receiver.  I think Boyd is going to be an outstanding slot WR.  And Erickson will be his backup.

For sure, keep Mario. He has rare speed, he just needs to work on his hands and he should make the squad next year.

Can't teach speed.
Reply/Quote
Let him go... We can find better after others clear waivers or in the late rounds of the draft next year. I was never really too high on this guy. He's quick, don't get me wrong, but his route running is sub-par, hands are too, and he isn't a great special teams guy. Time to move on.
Reply/Quote
Was really hoping he could give us a spark this year at least on ST, but now it appears Ericksons' opportunity. If he can help us in the future that's cool, but I'm now excited to see what Core and Erickson bring to the team.

WHO DEY!!!
Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 12:55 PM)OnlyBengalsFanInTown Wrote: Let him go... We can find better after others clear waivers or in the late rounds of the draft next year.  I was never really too high on this guy.  He's quick, don't get me wrong, but his route running is sub-par, hands are too, and he isn't a great special teams guy. Time to move on.

With Alford's speed and ability in space alone i would bring him back. These are not teachable traits.
Reply/Quote
Sticking by what I've always said, Alford is a chump. I just don't like the guy, I don't think he has the right mentality for the NFL. Seems like a lackluster worker. Just my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 06:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: With Alford's speed and ability in space alone i would bring him back. These are not teachable traits.

Yes, I agree that speed is something that cannot be taught, but good hands can't really be taught at the NFL level, either.  I guess that we should have gave Andrew Hawkins a better tender, when we had him..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 12:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: For sure, keep Mario. He has rare speed, he just needs to work on his hands and he should make the squad next year.

Can't teach speed.

He's fast but he can't run a route and he can't catch...where is Al Davis when you need him?  He'd probably give us a 1st round pick for the guy.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 07:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, I agree that speed is something that cannot be taught, but good hands can't really be taught at the NFL level, either.  I guess that we should have gave Andrew Hawkins a better tender, when we had him..

We gave Hawk a pretty damn good one.

I call that on him, picking the Browns must still haunt him.

Plus, WR's have gotten better hands working with the juggs machine...

(09-01-2016, 07:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He's fast but he can't run a route and he can't catch...where is Al Davis when you need him?  He'd probably give us a 1st round pick for the guy.

He can run a route and he can catch, he just cannot do it consistently. I would give him some time before letting him go myself.
Reply/Quote
Give him
1 more year hell hunt has had 4 we can give Alford a 3 plus he looked way better this preseason.... And hell in preseason all Pryor has done is run go routes and caught passes when he proves he can catch that's what we do with Alford
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2016, 07:35 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Give him
1 more year hell hunt has had 4 we can give Alford a 3 plus he looked way better this preseason.... And hell in preseason all Pryor has done is run go routes and caught passes when he proves he can catch that's what we do with Alford

Yes sir
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2016, 07:35 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Give him

He could be ok and I'm not saying we should just toss him in the trash and be 100% sure he's never going to amount to anything BUT...he is already on a very agonizingly vague path in the NFL.

2015 - he's a rookie and a developmental pick
2016 - he's on the IR and will see 0 game time
2017 - he's still technically a rookie because he's never played meaningful time in the NFL
2018 - it's a contract year...gee, I hope we find out what we have in him!

Anyways, if he sticks around here I can see us spending the next 3 years wondering if he's any good.  Lordy, that's always fun!
Reply/Quote