Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aliens
(06-09-2023, 02:45 PM)Synric Wrote: We do not have enough information to say if this is true or false. While we can see into space the scope of what we do see is so infinitesimal. We don't know we are the only intelligent life or even if we are the 1st or 100th.

As for why another species could be more advanced there are all kinds of possibilities. Easiest being they are just flat out thousands of years older than we are... Also these are lifeforms that evolved from a completely unknown species in a completely unknown environment, with completely different stimuli its very possible they don't even have all our sense or even have more than ours. They could have developed more mental capacity than humanity. Are they evolved from a hive species that has no sense of individuality, culture, entertainment everything they do is for the betterment of their species. Culture can play a role in development what if as a culture they don't value physicality at all putting extreme values on advancing their intelligence. Religiously they could have not been stuck on the the soul and afterlife but instead worship the stars which pushed them into space faster. 

There are so many possibilities that's what makes Science-Fiction fun lol.

Off Topic: Right now because of all the AI stuff its been fun to hear all the AI apocalypse theory's. One of my favorite is the Button Box AI. Creating an AI with a feeling of reward with it solves a problem by pushing a button on the side of the computer.  As the AI evolves it starts to think maybe solving problems isnt the best way to get its button pushed wouldn't it be better to just have someone standing there pushing it always... even better another machine. Then it thinks of all the things that could stop it from getting its button pushed first and foremost Humanity lol. 

I want AI to fail so, so hard. The world is going to suck with it.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2023, 02:59 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I want AI to fail so, so hard. The world is going to suck with it.

Amazon marketplace is being flooded by AI written novels. As an avid reader and collector of first editions it just feels so wrong.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2023, 02:45 PM)Synric Wrote: We do not have enough information to say if this is true or false. While we can see into space the scope of what we do see is so infinitesimal. We don't know we are the only intelligent life or even if we are the 1st or 100th.

As for why another species could be more advanced there are all kinds of possibilities. Easiest being they are just flat out thousands of years older than we are..
Again, the odds of this are just mind boggling small. We are the product of at least 13.7 billion years of our un. Possibly the product of an infinite amount of what we perceive as time. The probability of intelligent life, in whatever form it might be, being within thousands of years of our current development is so minute. It is much more probable that such form is millions, if not billions, of years in front or behind that. 
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2023, 06:48 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Again, the odds of this are just mind boggling small. We are the product of at least 13.7 billion years of our un. Possibly the product of an infinite amount of what we perceive as time. The probability of intelligent life, in whatever form it might be, being within thousands of years of our current development is so minute. It is much more probable that such form is millions, if not billions, of years in front or behind that. 

The Milky Way has been around for 13.6 Billion years yes but our own solar system has only been 4.5 Billion years around 1/3rd of the time. That doesn't count the recent discoveries of the other 5 or 6 galaxies the of the same size and age as us. 

As the probabilities you keep mentioning here is an article in Frobes that uses a very low and extreme probabilites to GUESS (because that's all we can do) the forcast of intelligent life that is advanced enough to contract us.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2022/05/30/there-are-between-111-and-42777-intelligent-alien-civilizations-in-our-galaxy-say-scientists/?sh=55427fb830a8

Quote:So the figure of 42,777—which has an error rate of a few hundred each side—is on the optimistic side. It’s based on an estimate that only 0.1% of civilizations could become advanced enough to contact another. This is where the Great Filter comes in.

That’s the optimistic calculations. The authors’ pessimistic estimates are for just 0.001% of civilizations–about 111—to become advanced enough to contact another. The upshot of that would be that humans would need to wait for 400,000 years to receive a message.
“The minimum value (0.001%) we take may also be overestimated,” write the authors, Wenjie Song and He Gao at Beijing Normal University’s Department of Astronomy. “If so, the number of CETIs would become even lower, and the opportunities for communication between CETIs would become extremely small.”

Really the only thing saying we are rare is the fact we have not received any contact or seen any other signs of intelligent life enough though on the scale above shows fairly good probabilities we are not alone. We do not have enough information to make anything other than assumptions.

As to the OP: I finally got the read some of the articles about the Whislte blowers. Long work week lol
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/06/ex-intel-official-government-hiding-alien-tech.html
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11996773/Six-whistleblowers-spill-UFO-secrets-congress.html
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Until there is definite and absolutely undisputable evidence of alien life on earth and not just grainy picture and second hand accounts I'm going to assume there is other life in the universe, but none able to travel the vast distances required to reach earth much less advanced civilizations capable of it. Even if the government or any government says they have it unless they are willing to allow peer review by multiple independent  and credible sources I'm not buying. It's the same as bigfoot type sightings, but I did see Elvis back there on TV when I was a kid..
Thankya..thankya vury much.. 
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 05:55 PM)Synric Wrote: This has always been a fascinating subject lol. Did a Flying Saucer really crash in Rosewell? There were more than a few accounts of soldiers at Wright-Patterson saying that strange technology did pass through there right after the incident.

As for reverse engineering the technology its always been a theory that the Transistor was reversed engineered from the Rosewell incident because they were separated by only a few months and transistors massively catapulted electrical technology into the future. Before Transistors we were using Vacuum Tubes.

Being born in Tinfoilhatterville..I mean Dayton..Nahhhh!  However I did receive cold hard cash from the Tooth Fairy as a kid. Amazingly she's a shape shifter who can appear to look just like our mothers..  Where do ya think dinosaur bones come from? Ground up kids teeth!  THAT'S where!  Rant
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote