Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All 11 drafted rookies signed
Jordan Willis just signed his contract so I believe all the rookies are now signed. I remember the days were there would be some rookies holding out several days into training camp. I'm glad those days are left behind.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
good to hear they are all signed
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
In this day and age, I can't understand why all NFL draft picks aren't signed within two weeks of the draft. Under the current CBA, and the rookie contract scale in place, negotiations should really be a piece of cake. I.e. "You're going to make X amount over the course of your contract. Would you like your signing bonus in $20s, $50s, or $100s?".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I know it has more to do with slotting of the rookie wage scale, which has been a tremendous benefit, but I can't help but think that with the competition set at almost every position group that no one wants to miss the beginning of camp, or even the OTAs. You get left behind, you might not have a spot. Great problem to have!
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 03:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In this day and age, I can't understand why all NFL draft picks aren't signed within two weeks of the draft.  Under the current CBA, and the rookie contract scale in place, negotiations should really be a piece of cake.  I.e. "You're going to make X amount over the course of your contract.  Would you like your signing bonus in $20s, $50s, or $100s?".

I know the hang up with 1st rounders is the offset language that some teams want in the contract.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 03:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In this day and age, I can't understand why all NFL draft picks aren't signed within two weeks of the draft.  Under the current CBA, and the rookie contract scale in place, negotiations should really be a piece of cake.  I.e. "You're going to make X amount over the course of your contract.  Would you like your signing bonus in $20s, $50s, or $100s?".

There are much more issues in contracts than simply the value. Things like offset language, splits, voiding, and deferrals all play a roll in the contract and how money gets to the player. They are the reasons why rookies still get agents really.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 02:56 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Jordan Willis just signed his contract so I believe all the rookies are now signed.  I remember the days were there would be some rookies holding out several days into training camp.  I'm glad those days are left behind.

It used to be horrible when we drafted a player high like Akili Smith, Justin Smith, or Andre Smith and they held out for weeks.

Come to think about it...we've had bad luck drafting guys named Smith.
Reply/Quote

I think one of the main points of contention nowadays is guaranteed money.

Joe Mixon's contract, for example, took a bit longer than many prospects in his round because the Bengals clearly wanted to give him as little guaranteed money as possible.

The Ravens' signing of Tyus Bowser kind of ****** that strategy up a little bit, as they gave Bowser significantly more guaranteed money than they needed to.

Picks 45 through 51 (3 picks above and 3 picks past Mixon) total contract and guaranteed money per http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/ :

45 Bears Adam Shaheen:         CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $5,910,537 TOTAL GTD:$3,172,234
46 Colts Quincy Wilson:           CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $5,766,277 TOTAL GTD:$3,060,759
47 Ravens Tyus Bowser:          CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $5,575,610 TOTAL GTD:$3,378,426
48 Bengals Joe Mixon:             CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $5,450,174 TOTAL GTD:$2,816,498
49 Redskins Ryan Anderson:   CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $5,324,723 TOTAL GTD:$2,719,559
50 Buccaneers Justin Evans:    CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $5,199,295 TOTAL GTD:$2,622,638
51 Broncos DeMarcus Walker: CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $5,073,859 TOTAL GTD:$2,525,710

One of those numbers sticks out like a sore thumb and, since the Ravens signed Bowser on May 5th, that may explain why it took about a month to agree with Joe. Guaranteed money that far out of slot seems to cause problems directly below the pick that was given out of slot guaranteed money.

It's not a big deal because everyone was still signed over a month before training camp, but it's just interesting the dynamics other contracts play into the contracts around them.

Gerald Everett, the player picked at #44, has not signed yet and I imagine Bowser's out of slot guaranteed money plays a role in that, considering he is one of only four second round picks yet to be signed. 
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 03:53 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I know the hang up with 1st rounders is the offset language that some teams want in the contract.

It was pretty cool how fast John Ross signed.

Love this guy.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2017, 11:01 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think one of the main points of contention nowadays is guaranteed money.

Joe Mixon's contract, for example, took a bit longer than many prospects in his round because the Bengals clearly wanted to give him as little guaranteed money as possible.

The Ravens' signing of Tyus Bowser kind of ***** that strategy up a little bit, as they gave Bowser significantly more guaranteed money than they needed to.

Picks 45 through 51 (3 picks above and 3 picks past Mixon) total contract and guaranteed money per http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/ :

45 Bears Adam Shaheen:         CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $5,910,537 TOTAL GTD:$3,172,234
46 Colts Quincy Wilson:           CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $5,766,277 TOTAL GTD:$3,060,759
47 Ravens Tyus Bowser:          CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $5,575,610 TOTAL GTD:$3,378,426
48 Bengals Joe Mixon:             CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $5,450,174 TOTAL GTD:$2,816,498
49 Redskins Ryan Anderson:   CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $5,324,723 TOTAL GTD:$2,719,559
50 Buccaneers Justin Evans:    CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $5,199,295 TOTAL GTD:$2,622,638
51 Broncos DeMarcus Walker: CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $5,073,859 TOTAL GTD:$2,525,710

One of those numbers sticks out like a sore thumb and, since the Ravens signed Bowser on May 5th, that may explain why it took about a month to agree with Joe. Guaranteed money that far out of slot seems to cause problems directly below the pick that was given out of slot guaranteed money.

It's not a big deal because everyone was still signed over a month before training camp, but it's just interesting the dynamics other contracts play into the contracts around them.

Gerald Everett, the player picked at #44, has not signed yet and I imagine Bowser's out of slot guaranteed money plays a role in that, considering he is one of only four second round picks yet to be signed. 

The Bengals gave him right in line with what he should get guaranteed. Bowser got some $350k too much.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 01:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals gave him right in line with what he should get guaranteed. Bowser got some $350k too much.

That's what I'm saying. I bet that 350K too much held up Mixon's negotiations, since he was directly below Bowser I imagine his agent tried to use that as a bargaining chip.
Reply/Quote
Rookie pay scale certainly helps curtail holdouts. Love It !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 06:53 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Rookie pay scale certainly helps curtail holdouts. Love It !

Holdouts sucked so bad man. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 02:56 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Jordan Willis just signed his contract so I believe all the rookies are now signed. I remember the days were there would be some rookies holding out several days into training camp. I'm glad those days are left behind.

(06-13-2017, 10:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Holdouts sucked so bad man. Mellow

It sucked and it was stupid because college kids who hadn't played a down of NFL football were making ridiculously more amounts of money than proven veterans who were damn good players.

Rookies still get paid too much, IMCO, but at least it's more reasonable now.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 11:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It sucked and it was stupid because college kids who hadn't played a down of NFL football were making ridiculously more amounts of money than proven veterans who were damn good players.

Rookies still get paid too much, IMCO, but at least it's more reasonable now.

Yeah, much more reasonable.
Reply/Quote