Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
All 3 Bengals TEs in final year under contract this season
While looking at the TEs who are set to hit FA next year (because I'm still sad Bengals didn't draft one), I noticed that Irv Smith, Drew Sample, and Devin Asiasi all are set to hit FA next year.

If Smith does well this year, I could see him being re-signed, as he's just 24 years old currently.
I can't see Asiasi sticking around if he stays as TE3 this year though behind Drew Sample.

Another guy I like as an option is Cole Kmet, who just turned 24 years old this past March.
He has good size (6'6", 260 lb) and has put up over 500 yards each of the past two seasons.

Noah Fant is also a possible option. 6'4" 249 lb, has averaged nearly 600 yards a season in his 4-year career.
I would imagine he'll come at a higher price though given he's more well-known and has been a better producer thus far in his career compared to Kmet.

Not many other guys I'd be interested in though who wouldn't be 29+ years old next year. Bengals seem to want TEs who are younger, I would assume because TEs take a beating so it's harder to stay on the field the older you get.

If Bengals go the draft route, I'm sure there will be at least a few who could be a decent-or-better starter in an offense. Bengals might prioritize other positions though with guys like Reader and Jonah also set to hit FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Irv Smith will most likely get injured this season. That's just the facts of it. The odds of him staying healthy are below 50%.

I don't think we care at all. Seriously. 2 years in a row there were solid group of guys in the draft. We sit back or trade up to take a Safety. I watched multiple teams last year take tight ends (multiple) then do it again this year. We say no one fell. Go get them!!!!! We freaking need one!!!!

We easily have the worst tight end room in the nfl. Name a worse one anyone. Please. And we continue to ignore it. We didn't even sign any UCFA. One guy I think? And the rest of the nfl keeps signing them. Even the scraps left are being signed. The rest of the league does value the position as we watched teams draft multiple tes even though they had plenty and took one last year.

Couple questions for all.

1. Do you honestly think Irv Smith stays healthy? (this isn't madden can't turn off injuries)

2. Do we have the worst tight end room in the nfl? If not please state who does.

3. Has a team ever won a super bowl with no one to speak of at tight end?
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 02:16 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Irv Smith will most likely get injured this season. That's just the facts of it. The odds of him staying healthy are below 50%.

I don't think we care at all.  Seriously.  2 years in a row there were solid group of guys in the draft. We sit back or trade up to take a Safety. I watched multiple teams last year take tight ends (multiple) then do it again this year. We say no one fell.  Go get them!!!!! We freaking need one!!!!

We easily have the worst tight end room in the nfl. Name a worse one anyone. Please. And we continue to ignore it.  We didn't even sign any UCFA. One guy I think? And the rest of the nfl keeps signing them.  Even the scraps left are being signed.  The rest of the league does value the position as we watched teams draft multiple tes even though they had plenty and took one last year.  

1. Do you honestly think Irv Smith stays healthy? (this isn't madden can't turn off injuries)

2. Do we have the worst tight end room in the nfl? If not please state who does.

1) Personally, I don't, but even when he's been mostly healthy in a season, the most production he put up was 365 yards, which was back when Kyle Rudolph was the TE1 and primary starter. That was all the way back in 2020. He then missed all 2021 with knee surgery, and then he only played 8 games (1 start) last year. The Vikings started Johnny Mundt (who?!) over Irv Smith before Smith went down and they traded for Hockenson.

2) There are teams like the Packers who have fresh draft picks Musgrave and Kraft then Josiah Deguara at TE, but there might be more optimism in Musgrave-Kraft-Deguara compared to Smith-Sample-Asiasi. GB probably about the worst TE group I can think of other than possibly the Bengals.

3) A SB-winning team with bad TEs might be the 2013 Seahawks? They had Zach Miller and Luke Willson, neither reaching even 400 yards that season. But Miller was good in OAK before coming to SEA. Worse than that might be having to go all the way back to the 2003-2004 Patriots with Daniel Graham as their best TE with only 409 yards in 2003 and 364 yards in 2004. What do all these teams have in common though? Great defense, heavy run offense.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 01:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Smith does well this year, I could see him being re-signed

Conversely, we could also see another Uzomah and Hurst situation where a team throws big money his way and it is Smith's one chance to have a sizable contract before his NFL playing window is over. 

Your post is interesting through to project possible TEs the Bengals could add to the roster via FA. Perhaps the Taylor/Burrow years will be marked with a yearly "time to get another TE" post since they'll invest money in Burrow and likely his WRs? You might be making a similar posts for 10+  years.  Wink
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 09:43 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Conversely, we could also see another Uzomah and Hurst situation where a team throws big money his way and it is Smith's one chance to have a sizable contract before his NFL playing window is over. 

Your post is interesting through to project possible TEs the Bengals could add to the roster via FA. Perhaps the Taylor/Burrow years will be marked with a yearly "time to get another TE" post since they'll invest money in Burrow and likely his WRs? You might be making a similar posts for 10+  years.  Wink

I would hope not lol

I thought someone posted that Taylor/Tobin said they've been wanting to draft a TE but there hasn't been a guy land to them that they felt was the right value, so they've been going the FA stopgap route every year.

I don't care how they do it, but I'd like to have a multi-year starter set next year.
I don't think the TE has to be elite, and I doubt they'd spend the $$ for an elite vet TE, but someone who can put up 500+ yards is good enough, IMO.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 02:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 1) Personally, I don't, but even when he's been mostly healthy in a season, the most production he put up was 365 yards, which was back when Kyle Rudolph was the TE1 and primary starter. That was all the way back in 2020. He then missed all 2021 with knee surgery, and then he only played 8 games (1 start) last year. The Vikings started Johnny Mundt (who?!) over Irv Smith before Smith went down and they traded for Hockenson.

2) There are teams like the Packers who have fresh draft picks Musgrave and Kraft then Josiah Deguara at TE, but there might be more optimism in Musgrave-Kraft-Deguara compared to Smith-Sample-Asiasi. GB probably about the worst TE group I can think of other than possibly the Bengals.

3) A SB-winning team with bad TEs might be the 2013 Seahawks? They had Zach Miller and Luke Willson, neither reaching even 400 yards that season. But Miller was good in OAK before coming to SEA. Worse than that might be having to go all the way back to the 2003-2004 Patriots with Daniel Graham as their best TE with only 409 yards in 2003 and 364 yards in 2004. What do all these teams have in common though? Great defense, heavy run offense.

Maybe a bit of a hot take, but in 2-3 years that Packers TE group will be Top 10 in the league. I’d take Musgrave/Kraft over anything the Bengals have.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
One of these years we’re gonna have to draft 2 in the same draft and the issue with that is if they both end up good, now you’ve got 2 decent sized TE contracts you have to pay and no team is paying two tight ends. If the Pats we’re gonna let Aaron Hernandez walk then no one is ever gonna pay 2 TEs

But that’s a down the line made up scenario that idk why i even brought it up
-Housh
Reply/Quote
For all that the Bengals ask of a TE, I think that they are OK with having guys either cheap, on rookie contracts, or cheaper but talented one-year rentals. TE is just not a primary target in the Bengals offensive plans enough to merit paying an expensive contract to one.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Theres a few teams out there with 3 decent Tight Ends... there will be some cuts... Bengals can grab one.

Uzomah may be one of the options
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 08:15 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Theres a few teams out there with 3 decent Tight Ends... there will be some cuts... Bengals can grab one.

Uzomah may be one of the options

If he’s cut he’ll be a Bengals within 3 minutes
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 09:36 PM)Housh Wrote: If he’s cut he’ll be a Bengals within 3 minutes

It's possible, but I think it unlikely.  Uzomah chose to leave and go to the Jets, for about the same money that the Bengals were offering him at that time.  His numbers didn't really improve, other than the amount of his pay that went to taxes..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For all that the Bengals ask of a TE, I think that they are OK with having guys either cheap, on rookie contracts, or cheaper but talented one-year rentals. TE is just not a primary target in the Bengals offensive plans enough to merit paying an expensive contract to one.

All we do is ask you to block and catch 3rd and 2s and get the 1st. That’s honestly why i would’ve thought Mayer and Washington were higher on our big board. Darnell would’ve allowed us to run a lot of plays where the edge TE is supposed to block the star edge rusher. I’m honestly surprised we passed on him. Dont get me wrong I’m glad we found Awuzies replacement but i just think Washington would’ve impacted the offense more than Turner is gonna impact the D this year. Darnell would’ve immediately been our best blocking TE in an offense that asks its TEs to make some orettt difficult blocks
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 09:44 PM)Housh Wrote: All we do is ask you to block and catch 3rd and 2s and get the 1st. That’s honestly why i would’ve thought Mayer and Washington were higher on our big board. Darnell would’ve allowed us to run a lot of plays where the edge TE is supposed to block the star edge rusher. I’m honestly surprised we passed on him. Dont get me wrong I’m glad we found Awuzies replacement but i just think Washington would’ve impacted the offense more than Turner is gonna impact the D this year. Darnell would’ve immediately been our best blocking TE in an offense that asks its TEs to make some orettt difficult blocks

I agree, and I believe that Washington will actually develop into a big play threat, particularly with all of the rules involving contact toward offensive players.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 09:44 PM)Housh Wrote: All we do is ask you to block and catch 3rd and 2s and get the 1st. That’s honestly why i would’ve thought Mayer and Washington were higher on our big board. Darnell would’ve allowed us to run a lot of plays where the edge TE is supposed to block the star edge rusher. I’m honestly surprised we passed on him. Dont get me wrong I’m glad we found Awuzies replacement but i just think Washington would’ve impacted the offense more than Turner is gonna impact the D this year. Darnell would’ve immediately been our best blocking TE in an offense that asks its TEs to make some orettt difficult blocks

Agree with this and really could have taken Washington instead of Battle if just not trading back and had Washington and Turner.. Not sure trading back helped much either per thinking the punter selected would have still been available in the 7th. 

Oh well, really like all the players the Bengals selected and its not a slight on them, just think Washington would have been a perfect fit here. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 10:56 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree with this and really could have taken Washington instead of Battle if just not trading back and had Washington and Turner.. Not sure trading back helped much either per thinking the punter selected would have still been available in the 7th. 

Oh well, really like all the players the Bengals selected and its not a slight on them, just think Washington would have been a perfect fit here. 

Something had to leak about him. You heard he fell because knee issues but that just doesn’t seem drastic enough to drop him because of it. Something had to happen.

Maybe we all view the offense totally different than Zac. I think board consensus was that if Mayer was gone Washington was the guy. Zac must not value blocks by over just being a great pass catcher
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 09:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, and I believe that Washington will actually develop into a big play threat, particularly with all of the rules involving contact toward offensive players.  

It seems to be a trend that other teams in the division draft guys I really like in the draft process.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 11:43 PM)Housh Wrote: Something had to leak about him. You heard he fell because knee issues but that just doesn’t seem drastic enough to drop him because of it. Something had to happen.

Maybe we all view the offense totally different than Zac. I think board consensus was that if Mayer was gone Washington was the guy. Zac must not value blocks by over just being a great pass catcher

The Bengals don't pass protect much with their TEs, but the do run block quite a bit.
I believe the Bengals want a TE who is a good pass catcher but also run blocker.
As such, I'm with you thinking Mayer or Washington made sense for the Bengals.
Perhaps though they really just used the TE for run blocking so much because the OL couldn't handle it in the past.

I will be curious to see how the offense morphs (if at all) once Boyd likely departs.
Will Charlie Jones be that true replacement and be the third option in the passing game? Or will we see the TE elevated to be that third option?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2023, 02:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals don't pass protect much with their TEs, but the do run block quite a bit.
I believe the Bengals want a TE who is a good pass catcher but also run blocker.
As such, I'm with you thinking Mayer or Washington made sense for the Bengals.
Perhaps though they really just used the TE for run blocking so much because the OL couldn't handle it in the past.

I will be curious to see how the offense morphs (if at all) once Boyd likely departs.
Will Charlie Jones be that true replacement and be the third option in the passing game? Or will we see the TE elevated to be that third option?

It's true that they don't often keep the TE in line for pass pro specifically, but they definitely count on them as down field blockers on passing plays.  All of the receivers, for that matter.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 01:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: While looking at the TEs who are set to hit FA next year (because I'm still sad Bengals didn't draft one), I noticed that Irv Smith, Drew Sample, and Devin Asiasi all are set to hit FA next year.

If Smith does well this year, I could see him being re-signed, as he's just 24 years old currently.
I can't see Asiasi sticking around if he stays as TE3 this year though behind Drew Sample.

Another guy I like as an option is Cole Kmet, who just turned 24 years old this past March.
He has good size (6'6", 260 lb) and has put up over 500 yards each of the past two seasons.

Noah Fant is also a possible option. 6'4" 249 lb, has averaged nearly 600 yards a season in his 4-year career.
I would imagine he'll come at a higher price though given he's more well-known and has been a better producer thus far in his career compared to Kmet.

Not many other guys I'd be interested in though who wouldn't be 29+ years old next year. Bengals seem to want TEs who are younger, I would assume because TEs take a beating so it's harder to stay on the field the older you get.

If Bengals go the draft route, I'm sure there will be at least a few who could be a decent-or-better starter in an offense. Bengals might prioritize other positions though with guys like Reader and Jonah also set to hit FA.

(05-09-2023, 02:16 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Irv Smith will most likely get injured this season. That's just the facts of it. The odds of him staying healthy are below 50%.

I don't think we care at all.  Seriously.  2 years in a row there were solid group of guys in the draft. We sit back or trade up to take a Safety. I watched multiple teams last year take tight ends (multiple) then do it again this year. We say no one fell.  Go get them!!!!! We freaking need one!!!!

We easily have the worst tight end room in the nfl. Name a worse one anyone. Please. And we continue to ignore it.  We didn't even sign any UCFA. One guy I think? And the rest of the nfl keeps signing them.  Even the scraps left are being signed.  The rest of the league does value the position as we watched teams draft multiple tes even though they had plenty and took one last year.  

I do find this to be the most perplexing area going on with the Bengals this Offseason. We bring in Irv Smith a TE who has never 
been able to stay healthy and don't even draft a TE in a very deep TE class. We don't bring back Mitch Wilcox who filled in very 
admirably late last season when Hurst went down etc.

I know we don't value the TE position like other teams, but come on...
Reply/Quote