All Things Not Islamaphobia/Terrorism/open borders/Anything French
http://www.fox13news.com/news/florida-news/50025186-story

Love the governor.
(11-17-2015, 12:39 AM)GMDino Wrote: Same link:

http://data.unhcr.org/syrianrefugees/regional.php

[Image: 111615.jpg]

Darn near 50/50.  Odd.

Rolleyes

Also "we" are not doing anything because it is not our country.

Yeah use the turkey numbers .... I'm sure they are solid.
(11-17-2015, 02:34 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah use the turkey numbers .... I'm sure they are solid.

Its from the same link you provided.

I'm sure your numbers a solid too.

Or you're trying to LIE again.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-17-2015, 02:31 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://www.fox13news.com/news/florida-news/50025186-story

Love the governor.

Rolleyes

"We are a Christian Nation!  As long as they are white Christians or I can make some political points off it...."

Cool

Sorry Lucy...the Constitution still applies to all states.

Quote:[size="
large"]States cannot refuse refugees, but they can make it difficult[/size]

A wave of governors -- mostly Republicans -- issued a cascade of press releases Monday voicing objections to Syrian refugees landing their states, following the Paris attacks.

Experts say that while the states may not have the legal authority to block their borders, state agencies have authority to make the process of accepting refugees much more difficult.

"When push comes to shove, the federal government has both the plenary power and the power of the 1980 Refugee Act to place refugees anywhere in the country," said Kevin Appleby, the director of migration policy at the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, the largest refugee resettlement organization in the country.

Appleby said one thing the states could do was to cut their own funding in the area.

American University law professor Stephen I. Vladeck put it this way: "Legally, states have no authority to do anything because the question of who should be allowed in this country is one that the Constitution commits to the federal government."

But Vladeck notes that without a state's participation the federal government would have a much more difficult time. "So a state can't say it is legally objecting, but it can refuse to cooperate, which makes thing much more difficult."

Penn State Law professor Shoba Sivaprasad Wadhia points out that each potential entrant goes through a rigorous screening process.
"It's been misleading for leaders of States to apply what happened in Paris to would-be refugees who may come to the U.S," Wadhia said. "There is a significant screening process to take before individuals are admitted."

"Refugee admissions are set by the President, and guided by federal law," she said. "States play a role in working with the federal government when refugees are resettled, but the overarching authority rests in federal law."

Additionally, she said, "The people who are coming to the U.S. as refugees are fleeing from the very same perpetrators who committed the acts in Paris. There is a real disconnect and lack of compassion when trying to respond to the Paris attacks by endangering the most vulnerable."

But keep fear mongering and lying.
(11-17-2015, 08:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: Its from the same link you provided.

I'm sure your numbers a solid too.

Or you're trying to LIE again.

Trying?
I think we should just contribute money to any country already hosting them.
Greece is in so far over their heads, let them house them to pay back the rest of the EU.
Also, what about the ghost cities in China ?
They built those huge cities and they sit there unused.
Seems like a no brainer.
(11-17-2015, 11:45 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I think we should just contribute money to any country already hosting them.
Greece is in so far over their heads, let them house them to pay back the rest of the EU.
Seems like a no brainer.

Yes, but those are actual attempts at an answer vs trying to convince people that the savage brown people are going to sneak in and kill your family at night.  Smirk
(11-17-2015, 11:45 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I think we should just contribute money to any country already hosting them.
Seems like a no brainer.

That's an interesting idea. Especially since on paper the muslims in China are predominantly Sunni, which is the same as those coming from Syria. At least I think the ones in China are.

But if they're upset with living and working conditions in the European ghettos, I'm gonna guess they're really going to be unhappy stamping out iPods for $2 an hour, 16 hours a day.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-17-2015, 11:55 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yes, but those are actual attempts at an answer vs trying to convince people that the savage brown people are going to sneak in and kill your family at night.  Smirk

But you do have to admit that we are talking about a culture that values women very little. 
There is quite a risk bringing them into our culture, where women expect to be treated with respect. 
Yes, we have plenty of our own douchebag Christians that demean women, but why add to it?
If we're set on doing it, we need a buffer zone for them to prove themselves. 
(11-17-2015, 12:10 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: But you do have to admit that we are talking about a culture that values women very little
There is quite a risk bringing them into our culture, where women expect to be treated with respect. 
Yes, we have plenty of our own douchebag Christians that demean women, but why add to it?

So does most of the Bible Belt in America....not to mention a large swath of Americans that want to go back to "traditional family values".

The point is we are screening them better than places where their own boats (as the are) are just showing up on shore.  Refugees are trickling in to the US and being vetted.

Will it be perfect? I bet not.  But just fear mongering and posting obvious lies gets us nowhere either.  Unless you are running for office.
(11-17-2015, 12:00 PM)Benton Wrote: That's an interesting idea. Especially since on paper the muslims in China are predominantly Sunni, which is the same as those coming from Syria. At least I think the ones in China are.

But if they're upset with living and working conditions in the European ghettos, I'm gonna guess they're really going to be unhappy stamping out iPods for $2 an hour, 16 hours a day.

Well, then they can move to somewhere else and find a better job.

Wait..... Confused

Ninja
(11-17-2015, 12:00 PM)Benton Wrote: That's an interesting idea. Especially since on paper the muslims in China are predominantly Sunni, which is the same as those coming from Syria. At least I think the ones in China are.

Thanks.

I guess if they don't like accommodations, they can go back.
They'd be working for housing and security. 
If they hate it, I'm sure N. Korea would love to add to their army.
(11-17-2015, 12:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: So does most of the Bible Belt in America....not to mention a large swath of Americans that want to go back to "traditional family values".

The point is we are screening them better than places where their own boats (as the are) are just showing up on shore.  Refugees are trickling in to the US and being vetted.

Will it be perfect? I bet not.  But just fear mongering and posting obvious lies gets us nowhere either.  Unless you are running for office.

I acknowledged that we have our own sexist pigs.

So anyway, do you believe that the "no-go zones" do not exist in cities like Paris ?
If you do (as I'm sure you do), why do you think that is ?
I do not think that every refugee is going to be trouble.
I just think we need to look VERY hard at how these types of mass migrations has affected other countries. 

I want to add that we could use closed military bases for refugee camps.
A security perimeter already exists that would protect all involved.
(11-17-2015, 12:30 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I acknowledged that we have our own sexist pigs.

So anyway, do you believe that the "no-go zones" do not exist in cities like Paris ?
If you do (as I'm sure you do), why do you think that is ?
I do not think that every refugee is going to be trouble.
I just think we need to look VERY hard at how these types of mass migrations has affected other countries. 

Assuming the exist (and I remember a story about such places in America that ended up being false) it is probably because they are dangerous.  So were the housing projects in our county when I was working there.  I was told not to go in to them after dark...and I did for my job and never had a problem.

But again we are not taking in refugees like other countries are.  We ARE looking hard at them.
(11-17-2015, 12:35 PM)GMDino Wrote: Assuming the exist (and I remember a story about such places in America that ended up being false) it is probably because they are dangerous.  So were the housing projects in our county when I was working there.  I was told not to go in to them after dark...and I did for my job and never had a problem.

But again we are not taking in refugees like other countries are.  We ARE looking hard at them.

Fair point.
I've walked many of streets at night, where it was said a white man would be killed on sight.
(11-17-2015, 12:10 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: But you do have to admit that we are talking about a culture that values women very little. 

Don't fall into the same trap some others have with regards to feminism and Islam. Most claims about it are generalizations that do not accurately represent the teachings of Islam. The more egregious patriarchal issues within the cultures are more founded on the political side than the religious in this most recent push of Islamist government. But for centuries, before that started happening up until the mid 19th century thereabouts, women in Muslim societies enjoyed greater equality and freedom than their western counterparts. The colonial activities causing the Middle East to try to push itself away from westernization has caused the regression in feminism we see today. Our continued activities in pushing their societies away due to prejudices is doing nothing but widening that gap.
(11-17-2015, 12:40 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Fair point.
I've walked many of streets at night, where it was said a white man would be killed on sight.

Now I'm picturing you as a black Steve Martin. Basically, Richard Pryor.
(11-17-2015, 12:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Don't fall into the same trap some others have with regards to feminism and Islam. Most claims about it are generalizations that do not accurately represent the teachings of Islam. The more egregious patriarchal issues within the cultures are more founded on the political side than the religious in this most recent push of Islamist government. But for centuries, before that started happening up until the mid 19th century thereabouts, women in Muslim societies enjoyed greater equality and freedom than their western counterparts. The colonial activities causing the Middle East to try to push itself away from westernization has caused the regression in feminism we see today. Our continued activities in pushing their societies away due to prejudices is doing nothing but widening that gap.
I do understand. 
I'm not one to generalize and insist that every Muslim is that way.
I'm just worried about the ones that do and the ones that passively allow it to become more prominent in their society. 

And before it gets brought up, yes I have personally defended women's rights.
I've been involved with First Step fundraisers and have personally/physically pulled many men away from abusing women. 
(11-17-2015, 01:02 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I do understand. 
I'm not one to generalize and insist that every Muslim is that way.
I'm just worried about the ones that do and the ones that passively allow it to become more prominent in their society. 

And before it gets brought up, yes I have personally defended women's rights.
I've been involved with First Step fundraisers and have personally/physically pulled many men away from abusing women. 

I can commend your personal efforts, but here's a point:  you might be able to do so because you're given freedoms.  In those other countries, the "passive" allowance might very well be due to fear.  Therefore, it's not as simple.  My point is just that, it's not a simple issue.  It needs a much more nuanced discussion and approach.  Given our government's ability to monitor so much of the rest of the world, I think we have the capability to check whom we allow in to the country.  I of course don't profess to have all the answers, but there could be solutions if there is a detailed and nuanced approach.
(11-17-2015, 01:05 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I can commend your personal efforts, but here's a point:  you might be able to do so because you're given freedoms.  In those other countries, the "passive" allowance might very well be due to fear.  Therefore, it's not as simple.  My point is just that, it's not a simple issue.  It needs a much more nuanced discussion and approach.  Given our government's ability to monitor so much of the rest of the world, I think we have the capability to check whom we allow in to the country.  I of course don't profess to have all the answers, but there could be solutions if there is a detailed and nuanced approach.

I will concede to another fair point,  but  I remain concerned over the conditioned behavior. 

I am all for discussion of a solution and I have even suggested components  towards such.