Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All games matter...don't they?
While eli did have a great run in that postseason.... It was the giants Defense that won the ring imo.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 02:15 PM)Benton Wrote: it may not be a fair comparison, but I always thought it was the opposite with the Mannings. Eli seems like regular seasons are just an inconvenience, but makes every play count in the postseason. Peyton played a lot of games at a very high level, but always seemed just a little off in the post season.

Granted a lot of that were their respective teams for the highs and lows.

There's some truth to that. Peyton has definitely been the superior reg season QB (he's probably the best ever) and Eli has been better in post season. That said Eli hasn't really been all that bad in regular season. He does have a winning record for his career (97-86). I feel like the last 2-3 years have hurt his regular season reputation. The Giants have squandered 2 of Eli's best statistical seasons because they've had an abysmal defense (30th and 32nd in yardage). 

I don't think any QB could overcome that. Pretty amazing that they even went 6-10. To sum up my feelings on Eli, I've always felt like he was a bit overrated (especially after he won rings and people were saying Eli > Peyton), but I do think he's a really good franchise level QB who has just had a few pretty rough seasons mixed in with some damn good ones.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 02:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: While eli did have a great run in that postseason....  It was the giants Defense that won the ring imo.

The Giants 2 Super Bowl runs:

Eli: 259 yards per game, 15 TDs to 2 INTs, 100.1 passer rating
Defense: allowed 15.1 ppg

The Steelers 2 Super Bowl runs:

Ben: 214 yards per game, 10 TDs to 4 INTs, 96.7 passer rating
Defense: allowed 17.6 ppg + a key pick 6 in the SB vs Cards

I'm just not seeing much difference between Eli and Ben. If anything, Eli carried his offense more and turned it over less. Both D's were outstanding.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote