Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All in on Trey Burton
Would like to see the Bengals go all in on newly released TE Trey Burton. Rough year in 2019 due to injuries,but in 2018 he put up solid numbers. Plus hes had to suffer having Trubisky as his QB. Nice little 1 year prove it contact.
Reply/Quote
Why are so many intent on force feeding the Bengals a TE? I mean we have Uzomah, who has all of the physical tools to be great, as well as a couple behind him that are completely capable players. The point that I'm making is that the Bengals offense just doesn't feature the TE in a high percentage of their plays. Since Zac Taylor came from the Rams, just look at their offense as an example. They have a pair of excellent, but severely under used TEs on their team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Burton... I don't believe he got enough touches as is from Trubisky.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Isn't his greatest claim to fame throwing the Philly Special?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 07:38 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Burton... I don't believe he got enough touches as is from Trubisky.

For what?  We already have TEs that don't get enough touches..  Mellow

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
For me I would probably pass. I would look at adding a TE somewhere in the 5-7 round range to upgrade the overall depth at the position. I'm not sold on anyone after Uzomah. (Sample, Carter, Schroek) to me are all question marks, but Sample is the #2 right now.

some guys I like:

1) Devin Asiati-(UCLA) 4/5

2) Thaddeus Moss- (LSU) 5/6

3) Jacob Breeland-(Oregon) 6/7

4) Dalton Keene-(Va.Tech) 7
Reply/Quote
Would love Burton. Uzomah couldn’t catch coronavirus ... (too soon? A cold, then)
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 07:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For what?  We already have TEs that don't get enough touches..  Mellow

I think Burrow would utilize the TE more so than Dalton. Or maybe it was the play calls?

IDK I'm just not a huge believe in Uzomah and Sample remains to be seen. I know Burton produced when he was actually thrown the ball.

Obviously I wouldn't break the bank he'd need to come cheap
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 12:04 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I think Burrow would utilize the TE more so than Dalton. Or maybe it was the play calls?

IDK I'm just not a huge believe in Uzomah and Sample remains to be seen. I know Burton produced when he was actually thrown the ball.

Obviously I wouldn't break the bank he'd need to come cheap

Joe does a nice job of spreading the ball around to all of his various weapons.  Obviously, every QB has his favorite connection (Justin Jefferson), but if you look at his pass distribution breakdown from last season, you can see that he see's and finds every option on the field.  

I think that the lack of proliferated use of the TE in the Bengals' offense has been more by design.  If you look at the Ram's offense (the one everyone claim's that Taylor is attempting to duplicate), you'll notice that they have a pair of very reliable TEs that get a significantly low number of targets.  I believe that is because the plays are designed to put targets at 3 levels for the defense to defend, and the object is to lull the defense into pulling the Safeties up to adequately cover the mid level receiver, and finding the deep threat alone in single coverage.  The TE is more of a safety valve in that system, so no need to have a superstar at the position.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 07:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why are so many intent on force feeding the Bengals a TE?  I mean we have Uzomah, who has all of the physical tools to be great, as well as a couple behind him that are completely capable players.  The point that I'm making is that the Bengals offense just doesn't feature the TE in a high percentage of their plays.  Since Zac Taylor came from the Rams, just look at their offense as an example.  They have a pair of excellent, but severely under used TEs on their team.

I don't get the wanting a TE so bad thing either ?

1. Like you say TE isn't a feature position in ZT's offense.

2. We have like 4 or 5 on staff now.

3. We have much greater needs.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 07:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why are so many intent on force feeding the Bengals a TE?  I mean we have Uzomah, who has all of the physical tools to be great, as well as a couple behind him that are completely capable players.  The point that I'm making is that the Bengals offense just doesn't feature the TE in a high percentage of their plays.  Since Zac Taylor came from the Rams, just look at their offense as an example.  They have a pair of excellent, but severely under used TEs on their team.

Taylor needs to adapt the scheme to fit Burrow, that is why and the LSU Offense featured the TE more than Taylor's scheme.

All for Burton.
Reply/Quote
This is not a good TE draft class reason why I'm hoping to bring in a veteran TE to help out if Sample isn't ready.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 03:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Taylor needs to adapt the scheme to fit Burrow, that is why and the LSU Offense featured the TE more than Taylor's scheme.

All for Burton.

Joel Klatt said he got to know Joe Brady a little and Brady told him that Burrow himself had as much to do with the design of the LSU offense as anybody, that they designed the exact offense Burrow wanted.  And that is exactly what should be done here.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 04:30 PM)McC Wrote: Joel Klatt said he got to know Joe Brady a little and Brady told him that Burrow himself had as much to do with the design of the LSU offense as anybody, that they designed the exact offense Burrow wanted.  And that is exactly what should be done here.

No doubt, do what Burrow wants. I like that we tagged AJ after Burrow saying he wanted him here. Great sign.

Thinking Taylor will do the same thing that Brady did and let Burrow design his own Offense which has TE's featured more
than Taylor's Offense. Throwing more to both the RB's and TE's opening up the middle of the field for the big plays to AJ
and company.
Reply/Quote
We do not want Cethan Carter 2.0, whose worse on teams and has better hands.

Also, enough of this TE crap; we're fine and if you get one, you get one in the draft.

Good quality, but not quantity in this draft.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
If it’s on the cheap sure I guess? But then we got Drew Samples and Uz has honestly been better than I ever thought he was going to be.

I’d still love to bring in Moss. Mostly because he’s randy moss’s kid (meaning nothing tons of nfl kids that never amounted to anything) and played with Burrow in college.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 07:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For what?  We already have TEs that don't get enough touches..  Mellow

I think the thought for a lot of folks (not speaking for the op) is that we don't use them, so they must not be all that great. I think we needed them more blocking the last couple years, so didn't utilize them much. A better line and we might get them more involved passing. Or just toss more receivers out there.
Reply/Quote