Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All of these “New HC” threads...
(12-20-2017, 01:32 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's simply not true that Coughlin didn't want to come here or didn't think he could win here.

He came in for a second interview, and Coughlin himself said "This is a job that's very attractive to me, without a doubt. I think the team is talented and is a team that can win."

There were reports that Coughlin didn't get the job because he wanted control over player personnel, but Coughlin's agent said, "There was absolutely no conflict" in that regard.

People close to Coughlin said Thursday that the size of the personnel department could be a potential deal-breaker, and that Coughlin probably wouldn't take a job without the resources he thinks he needs to win.

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2003/01/10/wwwben1a10.html
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 02:28 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I remember the candidates being Coughlin, Marv, Denny Green (rip) and Mike Mularky. I heard that Marvin was Katie's choice. Mularky wound up washing out in Buffalo and Green flopped in Arizona. I'd hope Katie is heavily involved in the next search. If we settle for "continuity", then we'll know Mike had a heavy hand in it. I gotta say I'm very disappointed in the rumors that this is all Marv's choice to step down.

Hopefully that's just the FO letting him keep some dignity. He's earned the pink slip.

Yeah...I've stopped watching a lot of other spots. I really do think that IF the Bengals don't show atleast some commitment to winning this offseason that I could just casually follow them from a distance.

It's pointless to go through this each year.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 12:07 PM)NKYRob Wrote: The only other silver lining I can find is that when they hired Marvin Lewis, he was the "hot" defensive coordinator and someone from outside of the organization. Maybe we'll be surprised. Maybe not. I think the team is well aware that they need to hire someone that will invigorate the fans or else that stadium will be even more empty next year than it has been this year.

Which is why the rumors of Guenther and Simmons are deeply troubling. 
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Doesn't matter who the hire is as long as Mikey Boy is there shopping at the day old bakery.

Cheap bastard should choke on his slush fund.

[Image: mikey_boy_slush.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 01:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People close to Coughlin said Thursday that the size of the personnel department could be a potential deal-breaker, and that Coughlin probably wouldn't take a job without the resources he thinks he needs to win.

"People close to Coughlin"  say one thing.  His agent says the exact opposite.  Gee, which one will I believe?

Kinda goofy arguing over ancient history that probably has so little to do with what will happen next anyway.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 01:59 PM)McC Wrote: "People close to Coughlin"  say one thing.  His agent says the exact opposite.  Gee, which one will I believe?

Kinda goofy arguing over ancient history that probably has so little to do with what will happen next anyway.

Way I took it is that Coughlin wanted Mike Brown to fire alot of people so he could bring in his own people. Coaches Scouts Athletic trainers etc... 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 01:59 PM)McC Wrote: "People close to Coughlin"  say one thing.  His agent says the exact opposite.  Gee, which one will I believe?

Agents will always say the politically correct thing.

Believe it or not...there are some coaches who have options that won't go to a team that they see has a messed up front office.

Oh yeah...Coughlin went to the Giants and won 2 Super Bowls. Think he would have done that here?
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 01:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People close to Coughlin said Thursday that the size of the personnel department could be a potential deal-breaker, and that Coughlin probably wouldn't take a job without the resources he thinks he needs to win.

Also from the Enquirer:

Gary O'Hagan, Coughlin's agent, disputed an ESPN.com report that the Bengals and Coughlin are disagreeing about personnel control.

"There is absolutely no conflict," O'Hagan said.

And...

There could be a dispute brewing between Brown and his daughter and heir apparent, Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn, about who should be the franchise's ninth head coach. Brown apparently is sold on Coughlin; Blackburn is believed to be pushing Lewis, the Washington Redskins' defensive coordinator.
Reply/Quote

IDK, if the reports back then are true - and who the hell knows - that Mike wanted Coughlin and Katie wanted Marvin...then Katie got her guy. Does Mike make the call this time, or does he go with whoever Katie wants?

Whatever happens, I just hope Marvin is gone for real and they hire someone from outside.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 02:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agents will always say the politically correct thing.

Believe it or not...there are some coaches who have options that won't go to a team that they see has a messed up front office.

Oh yeah...Coughlin went to the Giants and won 2 Super Bowls. Think he would have done that here?

I don't know.  Speculating is more your thing than mine, so you tell me.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 02:59 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: IDK, if the reports back then are true - and who the hell knows - that Mike wanted Coughlin and Katie wanted Marvin...then Katie got her guy. Does Mike make the call this time, or does he go with whoever Katie wants?

Whatever happens, I just hope Marvin is gone for real and they hire someone from outside.

I read that of the Bengals 9 HC's...only 2 came from outside.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 03:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I read that of the Bengals 9 HC's...only 2 came from outside.

Is that counting Paul Brown? He was from outside the organization. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 12:50 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: IDK man...part of me remembers the last time they had an opening and how they interviewed some quality candidates - and hired one of them- from the outside, and thinks they may take the same approach this time as well.

But, then there's the other part that thinks they may just want to promote Guenther or Simmons and call it a day.  

Of course, there's also the possibility that we aren't talking about so much lately...that Marvin actually comes back.  Sick

(12-20-2017, 01:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Reading your post got me to thinking.  15 years ago, Mike Brown was a lot younger, and wanted to make a "last push" to field a winning team.  He did the right thing, by holding interviews with quality candidates.  Part of me thinks that Mike is going to retire, and wants to turn the team over to Katie and Co., as a blank slate.

Not only has Marvin not been extended, but none of the current staff are contracted past this season, either.  I just have a little feeling in my gut that tells me that the Bengals are going to be going through more than just a Head Coaching change, but a total change of regime and the way they do things.

You guys are taking the past into consideration, way too much common sense here. Ninja

Plus this was an epic meltdown on the 50th anniversary season.

The people thinking Marvin are coming back don't see what is going on here and are not taking the past into consideration IMO.

I say at the very least Jay Gruden becomes HC and wants Paulie G to remain DC. All the rest of the coaches are replaced.

Don't like Guenther being back but heard Jay likes him and wanted him in Washington.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 02:59 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: IDK, if the reports back then are true - and who the hell knows - that Mike wanted Coughlin and Katie wanted Marvin...then Katie got her guy. Does Mike make the call this time, or does he go with whoever Katie wants?

We can't forget that Katie was also the mediator to get Mike and Marvin to talk after the 2010 season. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
What's it hurt to speculate? Yes you're probably right we won't get the coach we want but it is interesting enough to talk about.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 03:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I read that of the Bengals 9 HC's...only 2 came from outside.

Homer Rice, Forrest Gregg, Marvin Lewis, all from the outside.  And the one guy from inside that they should have promoted, they didn't.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 02:11 PM)Synric Wrote: Way I took it is that Coughlin wanted Mike Brown to fire alot of people so he could bring in his own people. Coaches Scouts Athletic trainers etc... 

It's kind of interesting because IF Mike Brown wanted Coughlin...to come here Coughlin wanted changes like more scouts and a GM. The Bengals COULD have a GM now.

But Katie wanted Marvin and we don't have more scouts or a GM.

I wonder IF Katie is actually more against a GM than her dad? Coughlin is a disciplinarian coach. I would think that would be a bad fit with MB.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 10:19 AM)McC Wrote: Homer Rice, Forrest Gregg, Marvin Lewis, all from the outside.  And the one guy from inside that they should have promoted, they didn't.

Yeah, choosing the Tiger Johnson over Walsh was a turning point.

Also, wasn't there one more outside candidate they hired?

1 Paul Brown 

2 Bill Johnson - Promoted
3 Homer Rice - Outside
4 Forrest Gregg - Outside
5 Sam Wyche - Outside
****MB coaching tree
6 Dave Shula - Promoted
7 Bruce Coslet Promoted
8 Dick LeBeau - Promoted
9 Marvin Lewis - Outside
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 11:37 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yeah, choosing the Tiger Johnson over Walsh was a turning point.

Also, wasn't there one more outside candidate they hired?

1 Paul Brown 

2 Bill Johnson - Promoted
3 Homer Rice - Outside
4 Forrest Gregg - Outside
5 Sam Wyche - Outside
****MB coaching tree
6 Dave Shula - Promoted
7 Bruce Coslet Promoted
8 Dick LeBeau - Promoted
9 Marvin Lewis - Outside

Yeah, although Wyche played here, I don't think he coached here before.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 11:36 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's kind of interesting because IF Mike Brown wanted Coughlin...to come here Coughlin wanted changes like more scouts and a GM. The Bengals COULD have a GM now.

But Katie wanted Marvin and we don't have more scouts or a GM.

I wonder IF Katie is actually more against a GM than her dad? Coughlin is a disciplinarian coach. I would think that would be a bad fit with MB.

I never thought of that, that would bode well for the future. Lol
Reply/Quote