Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All the reasons Ken Anderson should be in the Hall of Fame
The best way to judge Anderson is against the players of his era.  The game has changed so much that passing numbers today dwarf QBs from the 70's.  So here goes

-Led league in passing (rating) 4 times.  Most ever at the time he retired.  Still only surpassed by Steve Young.

-At the time he retired Anderson was the only QB with three seasons with a 95+ passer rating and 200+ attempts.

-Led league in passing yards twice, and finished in the top ten 7 times

-Led league in lowest interception percentage 3 times, and finished in the top SIX 8 times.

-Led the league in completion percentage 3 times and finished in the top SIX 8 times.  Held the single-season record for TWENTY-SEVEN years until Drew Brees broke it in 2009.  Brees is still the only QB with a higher single season completion percentage than Anderson.

-Finished in the top FIVE in TD passes 5 times.

-One of only 7 QBs with 30,000 passing yards and 2,000 rushing yards.

=In the modern era (post '50) there have been 26 QBs who have 2,000+ career rushing yards.  Anderson ranks 9th on that list in yards per carry (5.5), and 5th in passing yards (32838) behind only Tarkenton, Elway, McNabb, and Young.

-When Anderson retired after the '86 season he was 4th in career completions, 5th in passing yards, and 6th in career completion percentage,
Reply/Quote
Agree on Anderson.

Terrell Davis is just as big of a snub

3× First-team All-Pro (1996, 1997, 1998)
2× Super Bowl champion (XXXII, XXXIII)
2× NFL Offensive Player of the Year (1996, 1998)
NFL MVP (AP, PFWA, SN, 1998)
UPI AFC Player of the Year (1996)
Super Bowl MVP (XXXII)
3x AFC rushing leader (1996, 1997, 1998)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
Single-season 2,000 rushing yards club
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 04:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The best way to judge Anderson is against the players of his era.  The game has changed so much that passing numbers today dwarf QBs from the 70's.  So here goes

-Led league in passing (rating) 4 times.  Most ever at the time he retired.  Still only surpassed by Steve Young.

-At the time he retired Anderson was the only QB with three seasons with a 95+ passer rating and 200+ attempts.

-Led league in lowest interception percentage 3 times, and finished in the top SIX 8 times.

-Led the league in completion percentage 3 times and finished in the top SIX 8 times.  Held the single-season record for TWENTY-ONE years until Drew Brees broke it in 2009.  Brees is still the only QB with a higher single season completion percentage than Anderson.

=In the modern era (post '50) there have been 26 QBs who have 2,000+ rushing yards.  Anderson ranks 9th on that list in yards per carry (5.5), and 5th in passing yards (32838) behind only Tarkenton, Elway, McNabb, and Young.

-When Anderson retired after the '86 season he was 4th in career completions, 5th in passing yards, and 6th in career completion percentage,

For once I couldn't agree more with you.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 04:27 PM)513312 Wrote: Agree on Anderson.  

Terrell Davis is just as big of a snub

3× First-team All-Pro (1996, 1997, 1998)
2× Super Bowl champion (XXXII, XXXIII)
2× NFL Offensive Player of the Year (1996, 1998)
NFL MVP (AP, PFWA, SN, 1998)
UPI AFC Player of the Year (1996)
Super Bowl MVP (XXXII)
3x AFC rushing leader (1996, 1997, 1998)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
Single-season 2,000 rushing yards club

Davis case is not even close to Andersons case.. Kenny should have never waited this long.. Davis is closer than ever compared to Anderson in his prime years as HOF eligible.  Davis also really had 4 good to great seasons  but he also played for a team like Denver that as really good and had players replace Davis who also did well at RB.

Some compare his career to Sayers but makes it a bit tougher with the different eras plus Bears were bad when Sayers got there and he really changed the game as a RB...

Who really deserves more consideration is Dillion.. Look at some of his accomplishments playing with the Bengals during one of the worse runs in NFL history for wins and losses and notice what he did when he went to a winning team in NE.  Think about if Dillion was on Denver instead of Davis and had the same numbers he has right now.. he would already be in the HOF.  the committee is so bias towards the team you played on and do not give a fair shake to players like Dillion that played for really really bad teams. 

Dillion rushed for over 11,000 in 10 seasons ( 7 of those seasons, I  believe best record we had was 8-8 with Bengals.)
When he went to NE he rushed for 1,600 in their Super Bowl winning season and had a very solid playoff performance.

I see him as worthy as Davis when you look at numbers, the different levels of teams they played for.... but he has no chance since he played most of his career with the Bengals and the committee will downgrade him for that.  Maybe when he gets old and they look back as the senior committee they will fix the major oversite for Dillion.. but hell Anderson still can;t get in with the Seniors either... so who knows
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ken Anderson also had to deal with playing the Steelers twice a year when they were consistently one of the best defenses in the league.  In the 13 years that Anderson was full time starter ('72-'84) the Steelers had a top 5 defense 8 times plus 2 more top ten units.

One out of every 8 passes Anderson attempted in his career (559 of 4475) was against the Steelers, and they seriously stunted his career numbers.  Anderson won .543 of his starts against the rest of the league (87-75) but was only 11-13 against the Steelers.  Against the rest of the league Anderson threw 46 more tds than interceptions (182 to 136), but against the Steelers he threw only 15 tds with 24 interceptions.  Anderson's rating against the rest of the league (83.8) is over 15 points higher than against the Steelers (68.0)
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 05:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I see him as worthy as Davis when you look at numbers, the different levels of teams they played for.... but he has no chance since he played most of his career with the Bengals and the committee will downgrade him for that.  Maybe when he gets old and they look back as the senior committee they will fix the major oversite for Dillion.. but hell Anderson still can;t get in with the Seniors either... so who knows

Dillon gets a blemish for playing for the Bengals, but when Anderson played here the Bengals were respected.  Anderson was the starting QB from '72 through '84.  In those 13 years we only had 4 losing seasons.  We only made the playoffs 4 times, but we missed the playoffs one year despite going 10-4 because only 8 teams went back then.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 06:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dillon gets a blemish for playing for the Bengals, but when Anderson played here the Bengals were respected.  Anderson was the starting QB from '72 through '84.  In those 13 years we only had 4 losing seasons.  We only made the playoffs 4 times, but we missed the playoffs one year when we went 10-4 because only 8 teams went back then.

I hear ya.. but for why has he not gotten in with the Seniors.. it just blows my mind.
Reply/Quote
Every year they announce the nominees and every year I'm not surprised. Amazing how much better of a QB - and therefore HOF-worthy - he would have been if in SB XVI Colinsworth doesn't fumble, Archie Griffin could have handled Wersching's squib kick, or Alexander makes his cut in the endzone.

The HOF selection process is a bunch of bullshit.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Anderson deserves ahead of Terrell Davis, even if Davis played on two championship teams.

The Bengals' factor does weigh in when it comes HoF voting. That's why we only have one guy who went in as a Bengal.

Reply/Quote
Stirred up things on the Raider's board back when The Snake passed. They had a big homer thread about how he was cheated out of the Hall; I did a QB A and B thing; they did not like the results.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 04:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The best way to judge Anderson is against the players of his era.  The game has changed so much that passing numbers today dwarf QBs from the 70's.  So here goes

-Led the league in completion percentage 3 times and finished in the top SIX 8 times.  Held the single-season record for TWENTY-SEVEN years until Drew Brees broke it in 2009.  Brees is still the only QB with a higher single season completion percentage than Anderson.

=In the modern era (post '50) there have been 26 QBs who have 2,000+ career rushing yards.  Anderson ranks 9th on that list in yards per carry (5.5), and 5th in passing yards (32838) behind only Tarkenton, Elway, McNabb, and Young.

Great post!!  He was one of the toughest guys I have ever seen play QB also. He used to stand in there and get blasted and would always get back up (Except for the one cheap face mask buy you know who). There is no HOF that should ever contain Joe Namath and his overrated ego and not have Ken Anderson. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 11:18 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Anderson deserves ahead of Terrell Davis, even if Davis played on two championship teams.

The Bengals' factor does weigh in when it comes HoF voting. That's why we only have one guy who went in as a Bengal.

Yeah exactly!  Ken Riley is number 5 in INT's and not in. The 1990's ruined HOF chances for those guys I think.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 12:56 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: Yeah exactly!  Ken Riley is number 5 in INT's and not in. The 1990's ruined HOF chances for those guys I think.

More like the 70s Steelers.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Riley, Parrish, and Anderson should all be in HOF.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Agree

Anderson's snub is a slap in his face. No, maybe more like a eye watering punch in the nose,

No, definitely more like a kick square in the nads that makes one puke.

He should have been a shoe in ! This is a farce and buffoonery of the highest level by the voters.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
A lot of the support for Anderson is based on home fan bias. But I honestly believe that even if I was a not a fan of the Bengals at all I would support Anderson being in the Hall of Fame.
Reply/Quote
It wouldn't be the off-season without a Kenny Anderson HoF thread. Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but I predict a uniform thread is around the corner.

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 09:27 PM)Bryan Wrote: It wouldn't be the off-season without a Kenny Anderson HoF thread. Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but I predict a uniform thread is around the corner.

[Image: creamsicle-day-101.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 09:27 PM)Bryan Wrote: It wouldn't be the off-season without a Kenny Anderson HoF thread. Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but I predict a uniform thread is around the corner.

It is a family tradition !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 02:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot of the support for Anderson is based on home fan bias.  But I honestly believe that even if I was a not a fan of the Bengals at all I would support Anderson being in the Hall of Fame.

I know he's a Steeler, but Terry Bradshaw had a great quote. He (basically) said that he's fortunate to be in the Hall of Fame considering he wasn't even the best QB in his division. Ken Anderson was. Good to see SOME support, even from a hated rival.
Reply/Quote