Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All things considered the defense took a big step forward today..
One random note here, LeShaun Sims has actually been a solid addition to the secondary. He was kind of the "throwaway" addition in free agency but all things considered he has given us some solid snaps as we have had to navigate all these injuries. He isn't amazing, but as a #4/5 CB he is giving you about as much as you can expect.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 12:36 AM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: I know we lost d.j after arguably his best game,
but the defense as a whole did a very good job today against one of the most explosive offenses in the league today..

I'm from Baltimore and watched the game with alot of ravens fans and they was giving our defense props for the tight man coverage and the way we got after Lamar and the offense..They gave our revamped linebacker core big props saying we would be problems for them whenever we aquire speed on offense and a oline which I agree with..

Big props to lou and the defense today it actually makes me feel like we will be fine moving forward if zac and the O can find their way..

It is hard to find many positives after watching a shit show like that, but you are absolutely correct.  Defense did their part.  17 points to that offense is downright credible.  Now, a skeptic could say that Jackson wasn't rushing the ball...but he certainly scrambled and didn't look slowed by a knee at all there.  

The offense crapped their pants so many times they looked like they were wearing the Browns uniform. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not convinced Lamar wasn't running by choice.

Let's not forget he missed multiple practices this week. I'm not sure the staff told him not to run or force the issue because he was banged up. Especially after they went up by 17 early.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 10:21 AM)Au165 Wrote: One random note here, LeShaun Sims has actually been a solid addition to the secondary. He was kind of the "throwaway" addition in free agency but all things considered he has given us some solid snaps as we have had to navigate all these injuries. He isn't amazing, but as a #4/5 CB he is giving you about as much as you can expect.

Yeah, there are way worse guys to have as spot starters or depth guys.  I like him.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 12:01 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'm not convinced Lamar wasn't running by choice.

Let's not forget he missed multiple practices this week. I'm not sure the staff told him not to run or force the issue because he was banged up. Especially after they went up by 17 early.

If he was instructed not to run, then that team is in trouble for the rest of the season.  He was making some atrocious throws throughout the game, several that should have been picked.  Any team with a competent offense would have beat the Ravens yesterday.  The Ravens aren't a premier AFC team if Lamar can't utilize his running ability.  
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 12:01 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'm not convinced Lamar wasn't running by choice.

Maybe, we were peeling off a late spy often and it seemed to work well. Once Wilson did it and he picked Lamar off, another time he peeled off a "show rush" then waited and chased him down in the backfield. I am excited to watch the all 22 because schematically, I really liked what I saw live.
Reply/Quote
Lamar only ran it twice, so his rushing was a non-factor.

However, the Ravens, as a whole, rushed for 161 yards. That's hardly stout against the run, but better than was the team gave up to the Stains.

Reply/Quote
I dont know about a big step, but they were nowhere near the reason the Bengals lost as the offense was.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

This is what I was talking about. I want to watch the all 22, but it seemed like they were peeling someone off late often which was causing Lamar to hold the ball longer than he wanted to.
Reply/Quote
The coverage seemed better but let's not forget the Bengals still lost by 4 scores.
The Bengals still allowed Ingram over 5 YPC and they had 161 yards on the ground total, which is not good.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 04:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The coverage seemed better but let's not forget the Bengals still lost by 4 scores.
The Bengals still allowed Ingram over 5 YPC and they had 161 yards on the ground total, which is not good.

Yeah, we keep having these threads every week to praise the defense, but they’ve given up 150+ yds rushing every game besides JAX haven’t they?

They weren’t the reason we lost, but let’s relax on hyping them up. At least until they figure out how to stop the run. The DB’s have actually been pretty good against the pass though.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 04:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The coverage seemed better but let's not forget the Bengals still lost by 4 scores.

One score was a fumble recovery for TD (not on defense) and one TD drive started from the 31 off a god awful interception (partially on defense). You held Jackson to 50% throwing and 180 yards in the air with an interception and a couple other dropped interceptions. Running wise, while they did give up 161 they allowed 76 on two plays, and outside those two plays did pretty well containing it for most of the day. In reality, another 44 yards of that rushing came after Reader left the game including two of Ingrahams biggest runs of the game. I think the Reader loss though probably submarines any gains we made in run defense for the year.

This isn't about excuses, it's looking past the box scores at what was occurring on the field. In context, I think the defensive performance was quite good all things considered. You took a team averaging 160 a game rushing and kept them to their average it just so happens they are one of the best rushing teams in the league.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 04:31 PM)Au165 Wrote:
One score was a fumble recovery for TD (not on defense) and one TD drive started from the 31 off a god awful interception (partially on defense).
You held Jackson to 50% throwing and 180 yards in the air with an interception and a couple other dropped interceptions. Running wise, while they did give up 161 they allowed 76 on two plays, and outside those two plays did pretty well containing it for most of the day. In reality, another 44 yards of that rushing came after Reader left the game including two of Ingrahams biggest runs of the game. I think the Reader loss though probably submarines any gains we made in run defense for the year.

This isn't about excuses, it's looking past the box scores at what was occurring on the field. In context, I think the defensive performance was quite good all things considered. You took a team averaging 160 a game rushing and kept them to their average it just so happens they are one of the best rushing teams in the league.

I know it was. I watched the game.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 04:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I know it was. I watched the game.

Then it's kind of weird to frame it as "the coverage seemed better but let's not forget the Bengals still lost by 4 scores" when referencing the defense full well knowing one of those scores had absolutely nothing to do with the defense, or the coverage, or the run defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 04:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, we keep having these threads every week to praise the defense, but they’ve given up 150+ yds rushing every game besides JAX haven’t they?

They weren’t the reason we lost, but let’s relax on hyping them up. At least until they figure out how to stop the run. The DB’s have actually been pretty good against the pass though.

Yea, they rank 29th with a 159.0 YPG average
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 04:41 PM)Au165 Wrote: Then it's kind of weird to frame it as "the coverage seemed better but let's not forget the Bengals still lost by 4 scores" when referencing the defense full well knowing one of those scores had absolutely nothing to do with the defense, or the coverage, or the run defense.

Except it's still relevant because the Ravens were up by multiple scores for most of the game, thereby potentially determining how aggressive they were with their offense knowing there wasn't a big worry of being behind at any point.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 04:41 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yea, they rank 29th with a 159.0 YPG average

Oof

Dead last seems inevitable now without Reader.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 04:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Except it's still relevant because the Ravens were up by multiple scores for most of the game, thereby potentially how aggressive they were with their offense.

Not really, again mis-casting one score giving up because of a horrible INT and another literally not being on the defense at all is somewhat dishonest. Oh they may have thrown more? Awesome, that would have worked out better than them running.

The defense played well, anyone who watched the game (which you did) could tell you that. Box score critiquing isn't really indicative of it. Getting off the field on 3rd downs would be my biggest critique of the defense in this game.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 01:41 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:  And honestly as bad as he was today he was a Jesse Bates tipped pass away from a 3 TD day.

And he was 10 broken tackles away from rushing for 100 yards. 

I just don't understand how some of you people think.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 04:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And he was 10 broken tackles away from rushing for 100 yards. 

I just don't understand how some of you people think.

Pretty simple. It took our safety who is absolutely balling out and looking like an All Pro making a great play, otherwise the pass connects more times than not.

Reply/Quote