Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alonso’s hit on Flacco
Was complete garbage. He should have been kicked from the game. I’m not a Ravens apologist by any stretch but cheap shots like that are just one of many things eroding the nfl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It seemed to me that Flacco started his slide a little late and so Alonso really had no chance to back off the hit. While it deserved the flag i'm not so sure i'd call it a dirty hit.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
It was definitely a cheap shot going for the head.

But at the same time, I don't envy defensive players. It's like the runner going out of bounds. The runner is heading out of bounds, so the defensive player let's up so they don't get penalized. Then all of a sudden the runner cuts back and gains another 10 yards.

So when it comes to QBs, how does a defensive player know when the QB is going to slide? Do you just let them get another 2-3 yards before going for the tackle? And then when you go for the tackle and you make contact with the head as the QB slides, boom, 15 yard penalty.

Playing defense must suck in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
I turned the game off after the 1st quarter because I had some stuff I had to do, so I first saw the hit on facebook. Based on the initial video, I figured it was just bang-bang. After watching the highlights, Flacco was sliding before Alonzo went low. He went low and to the head in reaction to the slide.

I can't fault him for some contact, it was going to happen and that's fine, but he seemed to go for the big hit after seeing Flacco slide.

And, hey, you knock out the QB and only give up half the distance to the goal. Pretty good trade off.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Definite foul.  Thems the rules.

Dirty?  I don't think so.  Not at real speed.

Aim for the body and try to judge where that will be while the QB is sliding.  Qb fakes like he's going to slide and runs past you or you misjudge and hit him high.

Tough play...but not dirty.
[Image: giphy.gif]
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
Reply/Quote
Looked pretty bad to me. I saw no attempt to let up. The funny thing is that I’m positive the first flag thrown was for the O lineman retaliating. Ref probably didn’t see the hit on Flacco, but they weren’t going to let them offset.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2017, 05:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Looked pretty bad to me. I saw no attempt to let up. The funny thing is that I’m positive the first flag thrown was for the O lineman retaliating. Probably didn’t see the hit on Flacco and they weren’t going to let them offset.

That was my take too. Alonso may have already gone into the act of tackling but he could have diverted that shot. Instead he went lower to match and tee’d off

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2017, 05:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Looked pretty bad to me. I saw no attempt to let up. The funny thing is that I’m positive the first flag thrown was for the O lineman retaliating. Ref probably didn’t see the hit on Flacco, but they weren’t going to let them offset.

(10-28-2017, 05:41 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: That was my take too.  Alonso may have already gone into the act of tackling but he could have diverted that shot.  Instead he went lower to match and tee’d off

That's easy to say...hard to do.

Have someone hold a target for you.  You run full speed and then try to hit it...but he's going to move it.  You have no idea in which direction.  After he moves it try and hit the same spot you were aiming at. 

Drive two cars straight at each other...one swerves.  The other has to react and swerve after the first one. 

It just depends on how fast and how close to the hit.

In the NFL they penalize anything that looks bad, whether it is or not.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 04:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's easy to say...hard to do.

Have someone hold a target for you.  You run full speed and then try to hit it...but he's going to move it.  You have no idea in which direction.  After he moves it try and hit the same spot you were aiming at. 

Drive two cars straight at each other...one swerves.  The other has to react and swerve after the first one. 

It just depends on how fast and how close to the hit.

In the NFL they penalize anything that looks bad, whether it is or not.

Yeah, it was flacco that slide into Alonso's shoulder.  Sure.  Alonso could have adjusted his hit.  He didn't.  
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 04:36 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Yeah, it was flacco that slide into Alonso's shoulder.  Sure.  Alonso could have adjusted his hit.  He didn't.  

Well that ignores everything I wrote.

I didn't blame Flacco.  I also don't blame Alonso.

Two people going to the same point.  One moved and the other didn't have time to move enough to satisfy officials.

Officials who, by the way, can barely make easy calls consistently let alone quick / close ones.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 06:38 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well that ignores everything I wrote.

I didn't blame Flacco.  I also don't blame Alonso.

Two people going to the same point.  One moved and the other didn't have time to move enough to satisfy officials.

Officials who, by the way, can barely make easy calls consistently let alone quick / close ones.

I get that when a player ducks and their head is where their chest was, but how do you hit a guy who slid? He had to go down to meet him.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 07:00 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I get that when a player ducks and their head is where their chest was, but how do you hit a guy who slid?  He had to go down to meet him.

Aiming to place the hit between the midsection and thigh.  Then a late slide.  

Pretty simple.
Reply/Quote
If it were Rodgers or Brady Alonzo would’ve been arrested.

Look at today’s Cowgirls game. Prescott slid late but Brown decided to go over him.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 08:25 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: If it were Rodgers or Brady Alonzo would’ve been arrested.

Look at today’s Cowgirls game. Prescott slid late but Brown decided to go over him.

And hit him in the head with the crown of his helmet.  Officials decided it wasn't "forceful".

And for the record I agree that it depends which QB gets hit as to how the officials call it.  Or if they can keep games interesting by calling a close play.

And on the Flacco hit it's definitely a penalty...but not dirty.
Reply/Quote
Matt Judon was fined twice as much as Alonso for a horse collar tackle during the game. Suh got nothing for choking Mallett and a third Dolphins players got nothing for poking the eyes of a Ravens player.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2017, 10:12 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Matt Judon was fined twice as much as Alonso for a horse collar tackle during the game. Suh got nothing for choking Mallett and a third Dolphins players got nothing for poking the eyes of a Ravens player.

How is it possible that grown men, who have much experience in the NFL, can continue to screw up simple things?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2017, 10:12 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Matt Judon was fined twice as much as Alonso for a horse collar tackle during the game. Suh got nothing for choking Mallett and a third Dolphins players got nothing for poking the eyes of a Ravens player.

That’s the commish for you.

Reply/Quote